new member, hello

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
njccmd2002

new member, hello

Post by njccmd2002 »

I have a 6th gen celica, however i am actively looking for a 1st gen.

My brother had a 1976 silver GT Coupe, i was about 8 -10 years old back in 84, regrets he sold it. I am and will find one.

Have not looked through all the forum, but there is alot of info here. :woot: , my plans are to buy one and restore it to my taste, possible newer engine but classic exterior.

Question, if i get an auto, can i set to manual, I promise to search the site, but if someone is cool, tell me where to search>

thanks....
once car at a time....
74 18RG

Re: new member, hello

Post by 74 18RG »

SURE......We all are very nice here, no dramma either........

FYI............... go back and type in your SIG OR 'upper left corner" @ Least, What part of the World you live in !

It'll really,really help in the future, trust me...

**** To Answer your ?? Its pretty easy to swap from auto to 5 speed, especialy the 2nd time you do it, :lol2:

Wait**** HOW GOOD ARE YOUR WRENCHING SKILLS, :?: and do you have the tools :?: and do you have TIME to do it ? :?:

** Lack of TIME is my problem , I am finishing up my last 2 college semsters...

** FYI ** You just have to get all the parts, or find your self a 5speed manual car, :2thumbs:
make, a written budget, decide what motor you will use, Decide if you want to race it, dailly drive it?

Welcome aboard.. and whats your $$$$ budget for a car....? :?: :cheers:
1)"GRANDMA "Always said "If you have nothing nice to say, Bite your lip-untill you do" oh and ! Old School RA21:From Stock to 7/8 scale 69 Z-28 Road racer,maybe?..
njccmd2002

Post by njccmd2002 »

Well, i looked and i looked, like i promised, i found a diamond in the rough..

My budget maybe 10,000. Gradually over 5 years.

ra24, GT 2.2 lt, the top of the line 20 r engine.

BEAMS BLACKTOP ANYONE?

Body is straigt, some rust spots. It runs but it needs a battery, rebuilt carburator and revise the brakes.. the undercarriage is ok, not rusted.

The car is original from alabama, so is southern vehicle. The interior is trashed. I had not seen it from the inside, but i drove 300 miles with a uhaul trailer, so i was not going back empty handed.

We negotiated, i think i paid a little too much, but the price is under 800, that was his asking price..

Surprised it runs, and no major body issues... except the hood. So right now i just need to start to clean and make it drivable again

Its a classic, and i finally found it. Now i have a 77 celica, and a 97 celica... lol 20 years later.

Enjoy the pics, and take note.. Is a diamond in the rough....

My Skills? I swapped a 3sge beams in my 97 celica. so, i think i can do it.

modernrockbro

Post by modernrockbro »

Thanks for posting pics. Look forward to your mods. They drove the $#!+ out of that car didn't they??? Alot of @sses sat in those seats. I know you will do this car justice. I just had a de ja vu as I was typing. Weird. Anyways, post your question about changing from Auto to Manual under the Engine section. You'll get some answers there. Welcome to the forum and always, Welcome Fellow East Coaster and props on saving that Celica from all the stankin @sses that was sitting in those seats. lol

p.s. my interior is sh@t too.
Not everyone believes in "community". Some consistently hate & are negative. Some are self-preserving egomaniacs. The elitist clique ignores anyone outside their bubble. Lastly, innocent spectators, & then those who believe in community.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

How bad is the rust? That's probably the biggest concern for these cars.

The interior looks pretty shot on the surface, but honestly I don't think it's going to be that bad. I'm not seeing much missing, the fuse box cover which is always gone, and the ash tray which shouldn't be too hard to replace. The top of your dash is cracked all to hell, worse than I've seen, but you can either find a replacement or just put a cap on it. Caps should be easy enough to find and I think they run about $60. Beyond that it's just carpet, headliner, seats.. Stuff you'd probably want to do anyway and are relatively easy to find. A lot of people like to convert their interior to black, might be a good time to consider that. The hardest thing to fix may be the door skin if the hard backing is all tore up like it looks like it is.

Do you know why the rear bumper is all tweaked?

All in all, $800 sounds like a pretty good deal. Welcome! :2thumbs:
1977 GT Liftback
3SGTE and stuff
njccmd2002

Post by njccmd2002 »

Have not really looked at the bumper..

but i did realize that the hood hinge on the right is messed up, therefore throws the hood out of alignment.

also the console is broken into pieces i have the radio part there, the ashtray is there.

Ill probably go with custom seats.

yeah the door cards are messed up.
once car at a time....
njccmd2002

Post by njccmd2002 »

not really progress but some goodies i have scored.

found two celica books, may scrap one to scan into pdf.

and also some old school rims...

found some hood hinges and a rear smiley....

ohh and i will be getting this maybe..

[IMG]
once car at a time....
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Nice! Scoring parts is exciting! :)

Wow your dash is even more chewed up than mine was. You might consider just having a leather one made up for you when you recover your seats, etc.

I've got a spare dash crash pad, but it's meant for a 70-75 car.