New Member here.

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
zulu

Post by zulu »

koich nice to se u made it here man. i love your car! and all the other s2k swaps! but i also love your CF hood frm restored man it so clean. i wish i had the cash to get one shipped over here.
Image Image
Red85Celica

Post by Red85Celica »

how much did it cost to get that hood over here, if you don't mind me asking.
'1985 Celica GT'
'1978 Cressida'
'1985 Toyota X-cab 4wd pickup'
'1983 Cressida factory 5 spd'
zulu

Post by zulu »

Red85Celica wrote:how much did it cost to get that hood over here, if you don't mind me asking.
according to my math its like 1,500 US$ just to buy it let alone ship it over here !
Image Image
Red85Celica

Post by Red85Celica »

I converted the price of the CF hood with fiberglass skeleton and it came out to 681.00 US, cost I think is 71,000 yen? I filled out the parts inquiry form so we will see what I am looking at to get a CF hood.
looks like 982.00 for the full CF hood.
'1985 Celica GT'
'1978 Cressida'
Red85Celica

Post by Red85Celica »

they quoted e 962.00 for the CF hood with fiberglass skeleton.
'1985 Celica GT'
'1978 Cressida'
carkraze

Post by carkraze »

damn! i didn't realize that was a carbon fiber hood!! nice!

and a little off topic.. but what are the mods on the miatas?
lisasdecals

Post by lisasdecals »

Super Mean Looking Celica! :)
"Be nice to people on your way up, you will meet them on your way down"

67 Toyota Corona RT43 x 2
72 Datsun 1200 sedan
90 Mazda Miata
koich

Post by koich »

Thanks all.

In regards to pricing inquiries, Inata-san of Restored told me that this company is doing the shipping for Restored right now:

TR Trading
Mr. Ohira
Phone: (562)261-5971
Fax: (562)345-5951
trtradinginc@gmail.com

You can also directly order it from Restored as previously too, but as we all know, the shipping will kill you. I think mine was $400 to ship? Arrived in 3 days though. :wink:
Koich
1977RA29

Post by 1977RA29 »

In those pix of your car in the garage, there's some oily cardboard sitting off to the left. Was there a GTS leaking in your garage recently??? LOL
koich

Post by koich »

1977RA29 wrote:In those pix of your car in the garage, there's some oily cardboard sitting off to the left. Was there a GTS leaking in your garage recently??? LOL
Yeah, some dude's leaky GTS I had to store for a while. I heard the owner leaks more than the car though. lol
Koich
koich

Re: New Member here.

Post by koich »

Lots of time has passed since my last post. Have many things changed? Not really. :roll:

Let's see...

During my last visit to LA for JCCS in 2007, my radiator cracked in 2 places in the middle of I-5.
Kind of like your worst nightmare. Managed to get back by constantly adding water, and finallly finding a gas station that had radiator sealant.
The pictures I posted above with the hood open in a dry desert-ish area was when that happened.

Fast forward almost a year, and the countdown clock was ticking for JCCS 2008. Time to get things done.

To start off, I shot a few emails off to friends about radiators. One friend who's in charge of Motorsports at Mazda USA told me to go with Ron Davis.
I get all the measurements, the radiator arrives the day before I leave for LA:

The problem is, they didn't weld the mounting tabs on for me.... :doh:
So I made a quick and desparate run to Jerry Woods Enterprises who builds racing Porsches, and got the tabs welded. Phew!!!

So, I start thrashing. Taking out the radiator. A friend comes over with a set of Comptech headers. Sweet!! It's wrench time now.
Thanks to my friend, we got a lot done even though my back was going out on me.
Here's what the car looked like at 9:30pm, the night before I left:

Oh, forgot to say that I'm still having some vibration issues in high speeds, so I had the drive shaft out. Didn't have time to have another driveshaft built, so it had to go back in too. The car buttoned up pretty much with no hiccups and is ready to go by 12:30am.

Got to LA with no hiccups. Crashed out that night, and attended the show the following day:

It was good to see some old friends, meet online friends for the first time, or make new friends.
Also acted as one fo the judges of the show. It was hard since there were so many nice cars.
After the show, we stayed back for the 2008 JCCS DVD shoot. Then went out for a early dinner.

It was good to see old friends (both in length of friendship and actual age. LOL).
Look forward to going to the 2009 JCCS again. Not sure if I'll drive down, or figure out some way to get trailered.....

Last but not least, here are some pictures of my car photographed through the creative eyes of Scott Dukes: http://www.dukesphotography.com/
They were used in the article of my Celica on Super Street. I think he's by far the most artistic and creative automotive photographer I've ever met.
These photos are being posted under his permission, for personal use only.
Last edited by koich on November 23rd, 2008, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koich
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Koich,

Your Celi is looking finer everyday! This is RacerX. Man, I could just imagine your radiator issue while at I-5...main thing is you made it.

RacerX
koich

Post by koich »

RacerX wrote:Koich,

Your Celi is looking finer everyday! This is RacerX. Man, I could just imagine your radiator issue while at I-5...main thing is you made it.

RacerX

Hey Ted, good to hear from you. Do you still have your Celica?

I just went to Santana Row this morning, to mix and mingle with the Ferraris and Porsches.
Got to talk with a guy who said he used to have a '73 with flares and had a 18RG back in the days.
Also spoke with some guys from http://www.zcargarage.com/index.htm.
They were pretty cool. Maybe I'll drop by their shop one day.
Koich
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

yeh, still have the 75. The engine went out and found one on Craigslist slapped it on and been driving since then. Stupid exhaust collector keeps on gettin loose. Tried double nuts and lock washers. It still does it.
koich

Post by koich »

Folks,

Due to the change in economic weather, my company dissolved last year, leaving me looking for a job at the end of the year, and I'm still looking.....
And my policy is, all luxuries must go before I touch my savings... so the Celica was on sale, and sold.

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/01/23/bat ... ta-celica/

Rest assured, it was purchased by a good friend whom Andy knows as well. The car will probably be in better hands that I had it!
Hopefully it will see more sunshine and more tarmac.

As for myself, gotta get employed first! Once things start to flow, I'll be back. Might be another Celica, or might be something completely different. Who knows.
Until then, I'll be a quiet reader of the board. :roll:
Koich