New member from San Antonio. Gifted a 77' Liftback

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
driftingdad

New member from San Antonio. Gifted a 77' Liftback

Post by driftingdad »

A friend calls me up from Mexico and tells me a guy has a 77 Liftback for sale just across the border with 99' California registration and title and wants 900 bucks for it. Asks me if he should buy it. My first question is, Is it stolen? It's not, but it hasn't been registered in 15 years. He tells me it runs, AC works, moves under it own power but needs some work. So he talks the guy down to 800 and in what can only be called a gesture of strange and sadistic kindness, my friend tells me to come pick up. He didn't want it. He bought it for me apparently. So now I have a "Sponsored by UPS" 77' Liftback.

Realistically I've been banging away on various project cars for about 23 years now but never anything this old, or carbureted, or Toyota, or brown. Regardless, the wife put the hammer down and insisted I drop a few other projects before undertaking this project. I'm not entirely sure what to do as of yet but my initial plan is a little different than some other projects. Usually I am building cars for a specific racing application or a daily driver on steroids. Typically, I set a budget, then start at the back and finish at the front. This ensures that the car as a whole will hold up to whatever engine I can afford with what's left. This time, I think I'm going to start with cosmetics and interior which is a bold departure for me. Fortunately it appears there are still decent parts available and information is out there. I do want to leave the stock(ish) motor in place because I want to keep the AC. I'm thinking a hybrid with dual Weber carbs would look nice.

So that's it. Fortunately for me I have all the time in the world and don't have to work anymore so me and my 1 year old daughter will probably build this car together. I'm thinking about waiting until she is a little older and getting her opinion on a color for it. I hate to disappoint the purists but there is no way I can live with the brown.

DD
TA28Dutch

Re: New member from San Antonio. Gifted a 77' Liftback

Post by TA28Dutch »

Nice project! Congrats! Fully agree with your opinion on brown cars. :roll:
Lately my mind is bit like my internet browser; too many open tabs, some are frozen,
and I have no idea where the music is coming from..... :roll:
1977 CelicaTA28,
1974 VW Type 2, (T1)
1976 Honda CB750
1992 Honda ST1100 Pan European
rockey_jnr

Re: New member from San Antonio. Gifted a 77' Liftback

Post by rockey_jnr »

Brown is for poo and thats it! ;)
Nice inheritance, can't beat free stuff