Rescuing a 77 from neglect...

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
stock77

Rescuing a 77 from neglect...

Post by stock77 »

Hello all, from Pollock Pines, CA.

I deliver appliances for the local Sears up here, and out at a customers house, I spied a 77 LB just sitting in the weeds, that obviously hadn't been touched in years. It was last registered in 1990, and looked like it hadn't moved since. I'm no newcomer to Toyotas, and I have an 87 Pickup that is my pride and joy. That said, the first time I saw a picture of the early Celicas, I fell in love with them.

To make a long story short, she was interested in selling it, and so for a grand total of 200 bucks, I am the proud new owner of a 1977 RA29.

It has a few dings and scratches, but overall the body is incredibly straight. The interior had a few rats nests and chewed wires, but I think I've fixed all those. The paint even still shines under all the dirt. I still need to go over it with polishing compound and wax. I've got it running off a gravity feed gas setup until I can get a new fuel pump in it (coming in tomorrow). It runs great, especially for having sat for 18 years.

Short term goals are getting it smogged and registered. After that, who knows. It'll probably serve as a DD while I work the kinks out of it. Eventually I'd like to make a quick but comfortable cruiser that handles nicely.

First sighting:

How it sits now:

I look forward to giving/getting help from the folks on here.
1977 Toyota Celica GT
Bone stock for now, just getting it running & registered
slowmo

Re: Rescuing a 77 from neglect...

Post by slowmo »

Great deal. It is in WAY better condition than my car already. You california guys have no idea how lucky you are. A well taken care of celica in my area would not look that good in my area.
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.
random28

Post by random28 »

wow, that car is a perfect candidate for resto! how many miles?
fix the worn parts give it a good clean and enjoy it the way Toyota built it 8)
Build the usual R series hybrid keep it looking original as it is verry rare to find a Celica like that with original paint?
stock77

Post by stock77 »

random28 wrote:wow, that car is a perfect candidate for resto! how many miles?
fix the worn parts give it a good clean and enjoy it the way Toyota built it 8)
Build the usual R series hybrid keep it looking original as it is verry rare to find a Celica like that with original paint?

Well, the odo says 32xxx, but who knows how many times that's rolled over. I'd say it's at least 132xxx. Yes, original paint, original pin-striping. The pictures make it look better than it is. Almost every panel has at least one ding, and the pin-striping is fairly shot. I'm hoping it will clean up pretty well with a good polish and wax, though.
1977 Toyota Celica GT
Santos

Post by Santos »

welcome. good to see another celi being saved, get in touch live here in sac,santos
**********TO CHECK OUT THE SITE OR GET IN PERSONAL CONTACT**********
celica73916@yahoo.com ............... or ................ http://www.santostoyshop.com/
sastoy

Post by sastoy »

What a top find!!. The sort any Celica fanatic dreams about. Keep her original maybe upgrades on suspension, wheels and tyres and engine internals other wise a nice example of the Celica fleet. :D
TenBeers

Post by TenBeers »

That car is in wonderful shape, I would bet it is 132K if it hasn't been registered since '90 just by the looks of it.

If you get tired of it, let me know . . .
'18 Tacoma TRD Pro (my DD)
'17 4Runner Limited (wife's DD)
'06 4Runner SR5 (daughter #1 DD)
'15 Corolla S (daughter #2 maybe someday she will learn to drive)
'77 Celica GT Liftback (STILL under restruction)
random28

Post by random28 »

yeah a few minor mods here and there, a good buff and will be a nice car. Have you thaught about redoing the pinstipes and using a dent puller? i know they arn't work two cents but it might get some of the monor dings out without needing to paint the car, because a car that straight with an original paint job is a real find.
stock77

Post by stock77 »

random28 wrote:yeah a few minor mods here and there, a good buff and will be a nice car. Have you thaught about redoing the pinstipes and using a dent puller? i know they arn't work two cents but it might get some of the monor dings out without needing to paint the car, because a car that straight with an original paint job is a real find.

There actually isn't anything that necessitates even a dent puller. They're all very small dings, and any time I've tried to repair those in the past I always just make them worse. I'll polish it up and call it good.

My long term plans are really for a very minor build-up.
20/22R Hybrid
GTS Alloy Wheels
Poly bushings
Shocks
2" exhaust (I know, 2.25 is 'prime', but I'd like to retain as much low end torque as possible)
A nice stereo, maybe factory out of a later car (I have a double DIN Camry unit in my 87 pickup), certainly nothing extreme
SS brake lines
etc.

The car is now running. Issues left to sort out:
replace the rear brake hydraulics, maybe the MC too
replace the windshield
replace drivers window regulator
SMOG it
fix the ESP

There's probably some other minor stuff. I've already moved the drivers seat back 3" on the slider. Kinda had to considering I'm 6'5"

http://picasaweb.google.com/parrish.ellison/TheCelica
There's a full album of the pictures of it so far.
1977 Toyota Celica GT
rad_ra21

Post by rad_ra21 »

nice find with a great price wink

PS,i have a extra windsheild im in yuba city