New member: Michigan FR-S/+ To be Celica

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
Jacob666

New member: Michigan FR-S/+ To be Celica

Post by Jacob666 »

Hi all, my name is Jacob, I'm from Grand Rapids, MI.

Current vehicles:

'13 FR-S

'02 Tacoma

I'm also working on rebuilding a Lexus 1UZFE V8.
Progress so far:

It was originally going into a different project but plans changed so I'm deciding what to do with it. I've always admired the 1st gen Celicas and so I am strongly contemplating putting the 1UZ in one...

So if anyone knows of one for sale!

I'm currently looking at this one, tell me your opinion on it

1977 Celica GT 5-speed manual four cylinder 20R motor,1st generation liftback. I bought it to restore but I don't have time, wife said it has to go . the car is rusty but it may be worth restoring it's definitely worth it in the parts . Would at least needed tires brakes and a gas line to drive. Can hear motor run clear title

$850 OBO

smokescelica

Re: New member: Michigan FR-S/+ To be Celica

Post by smokescelica »

Hi and welcome. You will find this site helpful. I did. There is a lot of great and knowledgeable people. The celica you are looking at looks better than mine lol. It looks to have a nice interior. Looks like it needs a bit of body work but my opinion I think its a great deal. PS names Jake lol
Va room
speedfreak426

Post by speedfreak426 »

I'm from Michigan as well, about 25 miles north of Ann Arbor. This site has tons and tons of info. I don't know if you have ever seen my car around before, but you're welcome to check it out. I have never seen another around here.

Welcome to the site!

That car is way too rusted out, it'll take forever to fix.... Keep looking IMO. Would only make a good parts car.
1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
-8 3/4" Dodge Dart axle-3.55
11.20 @ 122mph
halik

Post by halik »

You are better off getting one from Cali and shipping it up. It will be lot cheaper over the long run.
Jacob666

Post by Jacob666 »

Thanks for the input guys, thats really helpful!

So I have found these... what do you think?

1974 Toyota Celica ST, needs restoration ,great winter project of this very rare classic, hasnt been started in 5 yrs, needs windshield side glass and clutch , tires and brake work, ive owned 15yrs. times are tough and want find her a good home. 4 cyl,4 speed

$600 O.B.O

and then there is this one:

1977 Toyota Celica GT coupe 20R 5 speed manual transmission project car. 107,000 Miles. Front spoiler, bra, rear window Louvers ,new rims, 32/36 DGAV weber carb, header, carter fuel pump, numerous trim parts. Front struts. I am selling have no time for. It has been sitting for the last 18 years. No trades,

$1450 OBO

n8folsom

Post by n8folsom »

If you're planning on an engine swap, I'd say go with the best body you can find. Also I think I've heard there are certain years that have a bit more room up front for a 1uz, maybe someone can shed some light on the subject.
vervepipes

Post by vervepipes »

I prefer liftbacks myself, but the '77 coupe looks to have the best body and would have the larger engine compartment, plus it has louvers and the GT emblem is still there in the grille. Black seems to hide a lot in pictures so it could be deceiving. If you have to replace basically everything on the body , a few hundred bucks less initially could wind up costing a lot more in the long run. Good luck finding what you're looking for
Image Image
'77 RA29 GT
'11 Grand Caravan
'03 Yamaha Vino
njccmd2002

Post by njccmd2002 »

there are two kind of cars out there. Good bodies, and good interiors. its rare to find both in one car.

I got myself 2 cars, one of each, and thats how i rolled.

If you have money or patience, rust is not a big deal, but it can be costly to repair, some charge rate of 80 / hr. I have 80 hours in my car easy, done by myself, of course, im a noob...

my best advice for you is to stretch your wings and find a non rusted example from southwest, or north west. you wont regret it, and youll go straight to the fun part. why waste time repairing rust... :2cents: when you can avoid it
once car at a time....