JDM RA25 in Sydney, Australia [Pic Heavy]

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
will

Re: JDM RA25 in Sydney, Australia [Pic Heavy]

Post by will »

how do you like the feel of the 275/175 spring combo?

I have the 275/150 in my 72 coupe and love it.
frim but not harsh at all. :2thumbs:
72-RA21, 77-RA29, 83-RA65C, 88-AllTrac, 80-RN60-4x4, RA42-race car, 04 F150 STX tow rig.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"..
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing it's Idiot"
Octane

Post by Octane »

I havent had a chance to attack any corners yet, so I can't comment on the balance, but as far as ride quality goes, I'd probably have preferred slightly softer on the front. 250/175 would be perfect for around town.
I think the 275/175 I have now will be quite good for spirited driving though.
RCurioso88

Post by RCurioso88 »

Wow man, that car is in beautiful condition and the new suspension makes it look top notch! I'm planning on getting the similar suspension as yours but with 250 front/150 back spring rates. After seeing your car, I can't wait till I have them installed. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of wheels are those? And which Black Magic springs did you get?
RA24 1977 Toyota Celica GT coupe - Weekend car/Car show queen
FZJ80 1997 Toyota Landcruiser - Go Anywhere/Roadtrip everywhere vehicle
GDA 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX - Daily Driver/Fun car
Octane

Post by Octane »

The rims are 'Bilbo Turugi' by Pasco-Fame Ltd from 1982. See here: http://kyushashoes.com/wp-content/uploa ... rtisem.jpg

250/150 will be great for a daily. I've found that 275/175 is a little too harsh over bumps, but my car will only be driven every few weeks, so I can put up with the bumps if it means it'll handle better through the corners.
I bought the 5x13 springs because I wasn't sure how much I'd want to cut them down. I cut about a coil and a half off them, and I want to cut another 1/4 coil again from them.
Octane

Post by Octane »

Another pic taken last week on a mates camera phone.
Hi-Res
I put around 200kms on the car last weekend. Half of it was through some nice twisty roads, and half of that was wet. She has nooooo grip on wet roads (well, not compared to my last car which was an AWD turbo legacy/liberty with $4k of suspension mods) so I had to tippy-toe though the higher speed corners. I could have a bit of fun in the low speed stuff though. Lots of slidey-slidey!
:ohyeah:
It gripped up alright in the dry though. Car has good balance overall with the 275/175 spring combo. Could do with some stiffer bars and urethane bushes to tighten it up a little more. Can definitely feel the give in the bushes and bars on change of direction.
Octane

Post by Octane »

So my car had it's first public appearance among the Toyota crowd last weekend at Sydney's "Classic Celica Appreciation Day"

Here's a few photos:

The brown car in the background is the only other RA25 in Sydney (There's also 1 in Melb and 1 in Adel)
That car was Australian delivered in 1973 as an evaluation model. The current owner bought it from Toyota via a used car dealer in 1983.

Full Album here.