my name is scott and I am a car addict.

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
Scottiedawg66

my name is scott and I am a car addict.

Post by Scottiedawg66 »

hey everyone. I have been lurking classic celica and this site for quite a while. I have been working on my MK3 supra and '65 mustang fastback for the last 10 years or so. During my travels I met a member here Cary who introduced me to the RA21 when I saw his crazy drag car about 7 years ago. I was in college and needed some guidance and tools to install some cams, valve stem seals, ect, in my 1jzgte and cary was nice enough to school me, and let me use his shop. All I could offer was pizza and beer. I was broke and eager to learn and cary was cool enough to help me out. THANK YOU Cary! :2thumbs:

Ever since them I have always said the only other "toy" car that I want would be an RA21. I am not finished with my MK3 or my mustang. But they both drive and look presentable. Given that I have room for 1 more car I am looking somewhat seriously for a celica now.

and what do I find...that awesome F20C swapped car built by exodus right in my backyard...I am trying to talk my self out of it. I want a factory original car with an 18RG. But good god that is a sweet build.

Then I see the beautifully restored 18RG swapped blue car (it was posted here for $13.5k) sells for $10,600 on ebay. I feel like I might have missed an awesome opportunity. The seller must have at last that into that build...but buying a restored car has never been my style.

We will have to see where this journey takes me. I called up Mike from STS last week and asked some questions regarding sourcing restoration parts. Seems I have a great resource 1.5 hours from my house. Hopefully I can find the right car. If any of you have any advice on buying a ra21 please share. I have restored several cars, and I am most concerned with sourcing hard to find parts. I plan to start with a vehicle that is complete and has a solid dash / seat foam / headliner / straight body. If there are any other pieces that are difficult to find in good shape let me know.

I look forward to contributing here.
Last edited by Scottiedawg66 on November 1st, 2013, 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
1JZRA21

Re: my name is scott and I am a car addict.

Post by 1JZRA21 »

Hey man hows it going. Ha wrong Karey.
Cary
Scottiedawg66

Post by Scottiedawg66 »

Damn it! I am so confused! I was talking to a guy with a jz powered celica drag car on supraforums from nor cal called him cary and he corrected me to karey. I thought he was you all along??!! Who is the real cary who helped me out so much in college? (I feel like i am holding a gun and have to choose between 2 clones at this point!) hahaha. :doh:
1JZRA21

Post by 1JZRA21 »

He is a good friend as well.
He has a 2J Celica tubbed just like me. He is closer to you though.
Scottiedawg66

Post by Scottiedawg66 »

what are the odds! two nice folks with very similar names, building very similar, all be it very rare, cars. in a similar geographic location. I guess I should put my 1jz into a tubbed ra21 and really make it difficult for everyone. I will change my name to carey. :cheers:
1JZRA21

Post by 1JZRA21 »

Ha thats would be good.
Ya its pretty funny actually he bought that car from a friend of mine 14-15 years ago. I met him on Classic Celicas I think cant remember.
Its always funny when people ask to figure out which one we are.
I have a black car tubbed with a 1j and I am white. He had a white car tubbed with a 2j and he is black. We both need to get are buckets on the track soon though. Good luck finding a car let me know when you do find one though.
Scottiedawg66

Post by Scottiedawg66 »

i cant wait to see these cars make a pass. i have a pretty nice video camera and a GO PRO that you two are welcome to when you hit the track. let me know and I will try to capture some of the awesome.
1JZRA21

Post by 1JZRA21 »

Thanks Man we should both be out this Spring for sure. I Have 2 GoPros my self but the more the merrier.