Greetings from a newbie!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
jb_man87

Greetings from a newbie!

Post by jb_man87 »

Hey there, everyone! I just picked up a 77 liftback, and am very excited to begin working on it. I got it from a friend in a tow-or-crush scenario, and even though it's pretty darn rough, I'm certain it will be worth the effort. I'm very new to working on cars, having just started mid last year with my 83 F250, but I've learned SO MUCH thus far.

I was initially attracted to the car by it's obvious mustang references (I adore mustangs, and have one for my daily driver), but I'm really beginning to appreciate the car for what it actually is, rather than what is is trying to copy visually.

Right now it runs, but I'm going to do some work on getting it mechanically sound and back on the road, after which I'm looking forward to fixing some minor body damage, getting the interior back up to shape, and just making a unique, fun vehicle for the weekend. I have NEVER seen one of these around here. Mercifully, the rust I see is superficial, but the last week of sub-zero temps around here have kept me from making a true inventory of it :banghead:

Shortly after getting the car, I started to do some research and quickly realized just how uncommon parts are for this thing, let alone general information! As such, here I am, and I'm hoping to learn and contribute as I go.
TA28Dutch

Re: Greetings from a newbie!

Post by TA28Dutch »

Welcome!
Loads of info here and lots of helpful people, so don't hesitate to ask. :mrgreen:
Obviously we want pics!
Lately my mind is bit like my internet browser; too many open tabs, some are frozen,
and I have no idea where the music is coming from..... :roll:
1977 CelicaTA28,
1974 VW Type 2, (T1)
1976 Honda CB750
1992 Honda ST1100 Pan European
jb_man87

Post by jb_man87 »

TA28Dutch wrote:Welcome!
Loads of info here and lots of helpful people, so don't hesitate to ask. :mrgreen:
Obviously we want pics!
I'll take some when it's not covered in ice! The poor thing has had a hard life.
jb_man87

Post by jb_man87 »

Here are a few pics I took just now. It's a balmy 45 degrees outside right now - practically a heat wave given recent weather! Aside from the bent subframe, the body is in pretty decent shape. Very minor rust on the lip of the back left wheel well, and some pretty superficial stuff (I think...) on the lip of the tail gate. The well for the spare is pretty rusted through, though. Additionally, the interior is a nightmare. Lots to do there. I noticed the hood mounts are basically destroyed as well. Both are mangled, and one actually broke. The engine runs great when it warms up, and this thing actually pulls pretty hard for what it is. I was genuinely surprised!

TA28Dutch

Post by TA28Dutch »

Looks like a great project!
Good luck with the rebuild. :cheers:
Lately my mind is bit like my internet browser; too many open tabs, some are frozen,
and I have no idea where the music is coming from..... :roll:
1977 CelicaTA28,
1974 VW Type 2, (T1)
1976 Honda CB750
1992 Honda ST1100 Pan European