New Celica Owner from Kenya!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
Luminous

New Celica Owner from Kenya!

Post by Luminous »

Hi all,
My name is Aaron from UK now living in Mombasa, Kenya. I was looking around for a car on OLX and came across a 1972 Toyota Celica ST fell in love with the style and bought it.

Unfortunately I did buy this blind and had it delivered to me and now realise I have a bigger project than I first thought but we all love a good project. Engine is running but I am trying to source a 2T-G or 3T as a replacement.

I haven't had a chance to dig deep into the car yet to see what I really have on my hands but just from the outset their seems to be several what I like to call local Kenyan "fixes".

Such as spraying the windscreen rubber silver to look like trim, front grill has obviously been replaced and also believe the headlight surrounds are not legit. One thing I have noticed is their are no corner lights, now can someone tell me is this normal in earlier models or a new quarter panel from something else?

I will upload all the pictures on a proper project page and will be starting on this in the next week or so, any assistance would be much appreciated. :D

neil reid

Re: New Celica Owner from Kenya!

Post by neil reid »

Actually the headlight surrounds look to be the only legit items from the pic.. Yes there should be corner lights but looks like they have been deleted. The grill, leading edge of the wings and valance are also modified. All can be fixed though with a few fab skills and hopefully you'll be ble to find a parts source.

You'll need
grill
wings or cuts from
corner lights
front filler panels
valence
indicators
++

Good luck with your project, There are plenty of folk here to help

That may be the car of Moses Mulwa a member on here. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17056&hilit=moses

If it isn't he may still be a lead for parts

Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
will

Post by will »

welcome!

I was in Mombasa in 1992-3 . was great place to visit(but i was working for the Gov't at the time.)
I hung out a lot "hotel row".. where most of the Europeans stayed.
the club under the Hotel Intercontinental was always banging. LOL
72-RA21, 77-RA29, 83-RA65C, 88-AllTrac, 80-RN60-4x4, RA42-race car, 04 F150 STX tow rig.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"..
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing it's Idiot"
Luminous

Post by Luminous »

neil reid wrote:Actually the headlight surrounds look to be the only legit items from the pic.. Yes there should be corner lights but looks like they have been deleted. The grill, leading edge of the wings and valance are also modified. All can be fixed though with a few fab skills and hopefully you'll be ble to find a parts source.

You'll need
grill
wings or cuts from
corner lights
front filler panels
valence
indicators
++

Good luck with your project, There are plenty of folk here to help

That may be the car of Moses Mulwa a member on here. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17056&hilit=moses

If it isn't he may still be a lead for parts

Neil
Thanks for the heads up ill PM Moses see if he knows anyone for parts or even parts from the crashed Celica he found.
Luminous

Post by Luminous »

will wrote:welcome!

I was in Mombasa in 1992-3 . was great place to visit(but i was working for the Gov't at the time.)
I hung out a lot "hotel row".. where most of the Europeans stayed.
the club under the Hotel Intercontinental was always banging. LOL
I'm sure now you probably wont recognise the place becoming more built up all the time, still awesome place to visit and live. Well if you ever feel like reminiscing and returning to Mombasa just drop me a line and we will go for a few beers. :cheers:
Hamza

Post by Hamza »

Nice find, and don't worry about the work because its still less work then it is to restore one of this botched Ferrari kits that people here in AUS thought were a good idea.

could the one you bought be the one that was crashed? would drake sense as the front on that car was totalled. check the front right wheel well for any creases in the metal.

Good luck.
J-M Kujala

Post by J-M Kujala »

Looks like DIY fenders.

Maybe crashed and fixed with material & tools & money available at the time.
-Celica ta-22 -74 2t-g turbo (Project again)
-Corolla T-Sport TTE -02
-Toyota IQ -09
-Ducati Monster 750 -99