Hi Everybody!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
TapestryJCW

Hi Everybody!

Post by TapestryJCW »

So I just purchased a '76 GT fastback to restore/modify (I'll put pics up as soon as I take delivery). I've never done a single thing with cars in my life and thought this was the perfect platform to learn on. Feeling super ambitious and I keep wavering on how "teary downy" I want to get. Already bought my Haynes repair manual and this was my second step. I'll try my best not to be the guy who doesn't use the search function effectively but I make no promises. THe car I bought is an automatic so it'll be going through a tranny swap to a 5 speed. Would love to put in a W58 but I don't have the fabrication skills to install the crossmember in the proper place.

Over the last week or so I've been hunting for things on my local CL to improve on the car and came across this fresh looking 20/22R http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/5178771699.html. I know that I can't use the 4x4 tranny and I'll probably need to change the header and flywheel. But what else should I be looking for here. It seems like a good deal even if they won't part the engine half and I have to sell the 5 speed 4x4 tranny myself.

Anyways. I'm so glad to have this library at my disposal and I'm sure i'll be glued to this board non-stop over the next long while.
rachuck21

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by rachuck21 »

Nice post! You have location added to your profile so neither Neil or I can ask for that. Yes, use the "search". Nice job on the Haynes manual. Now, just have fun! Regarding that motor, look closely at the cam lobes and followers. Anything irregular will be expensive. It's OK if the wear pattern on the cam moves slightly off center as long as there is no gouging . Chuck
"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
https://imgur.com/m2giFIx
neil reid

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by neil reid »

YES! LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION..............great job on that!

the header/carb/distributor on the engine would cost near $1200 so probably a good deal. You could probably call LCE to get specs if they actually built the engine. A22r block can be converted to double chain but the 20r stamping is pretty conclusive.

Good luck with the project! BTW Chuck is a good resource here (among others), he's built a few of these engines.

Welcome
Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT