Hi everyone from UK London

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
Ta22_chi

Hi everyone from UK London

Post by Ta22_chi »

Hi all fellow celica brothers and sisters

iv posted sometime ago but wasnt too sure where but im starting up this page as iv always been quite idle on here. My life is quite hectic atm as my wife recently had twin boys so im getting killed atm.

Whilst being a head chef of my restaurant i own a 75/76 celica im told it was a last of line production P reg so thats why ordering parts started out very confusing as i was ordering 76 ta23 parts.

It started off while i was looking for a 240z as years passed i stumbled upon a white celica very badly looked after at a barn in cornwall. The car had its pros and cons. Cons were it needed some serious welding all over the body but one thing which was really good was all the playing around in the farmlands protected the underseal of the car of years to come.

When i finally went to see car it was querky but strange it won me over and as people laughed at me whilst driving it back to london i already knew i had to prove a point.

It was seriously unhygienic with the years old carpet and seats and all. Some muh to do and so much to learn.
Im defo a newbie to all of this and when i learnt that i had to drive the car via using the choke i was thinking "whats a choke?"

It was weird and wonderful all at the sametime. Its been with me for about 5 years now it slowly come along way and i hope with your opinions i can get more ideas.

Iv got my eyes set on a 2tg engine on ebay at the moment but the owner doesnt know if it runs as he too also brought it off another guy himself. Again i find myself at the sameplace as before and willing to go for the gamble once more.

Before all of this my ideas were set and i read as much info as i could in the mist of all the nappy changes and silly morning hour feeds. I eneded up with a nice collection of toys but unsure to where the car would go down.

I brought a Lexus LS400 with reasonable mileage again with the wife staring at me with disgust. I told here it all be worth it one day and picked up a W58 gearbox with driveshafts and managed to get in touch with Sam about a rack and pinion swap which he now holds at hand for me. (Really nice bloke)

Now my mind plays at me with the 2TG engine and im wondering if going down the 2TG route is better as its an engine from its era and probably be worth more value and retaining its value too.

Anyways im Chi from London UK and here are some pictures of how she stands today.

Ta22_chi

Re: Hi everyone from UK London

Post by Ta22_chi »

rachuck21

Post by rachuck21 »

Welcome Chi!
The car looks great! We'd love to see some pics of when you first got it.
Chuck
"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
https://imgur.com/m2giFIx
exodus

Post by exodus »

Welcome Chi!

That is a sweet celica! set-up on the car is super clean!

i love it...

ahhh yes engine decisions! tough decision you got... i cant wait to see what more you got for the car...
Foxy:My 1973 Celica-Powered By ITB'd F20c - SOLD 8/13 :(
BUILD THREAD: http://1stgencelica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1221
Flyby Video's of Foxy: http://youtu.be/VSXNinaak8o
Ta22_chi

Post by Ta22_chi »

Cheers fellas

Defo the choice of engines is one im stuck with at the moment. Heres some old photos of how she use to look like.

Dont be fooled on how well she looks :)
Ta22_chi

Post by Ta22_chi »

Not much of an update but finally starting to see good weather after 3 solid months of cold.

Starting them young lol
dsp979

Post by dsp979 »

Ta22_chi wrote:Not much of an update but finally starting to see good weather after 3 solid months of cold.

Starting them young lol
Car looks great, but is it me, or are the fender mirrors angled in? Could they have been switched left and right?
1971, 72, 74 Celicas
1985 AE88 hatch
1989 240SX hatch
2020 86 TRD package (sold 2004 IS300 5MT)
Ta22_chi

Post by Ta22_chi »

Lastest update:

Iv finally got a stereo woop woop!

At last i can finally listen to some.music whilst driving damit the small things

Next step is my rack n pinion and the 2t-geu woop woop
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

dsp979 wrote:
Ta22_chi wrote:Not much of an update but finally starting to see good weather after 3 solid months of cold.

Starting them young lol
Car looks great, but is it me, or are the fender mirrors angled in? Could they have been switched left and right?
Don't forget that this is a UK car and RHD. The mirrors are set up for that. You will notice also that the windscreen wipers are the reverse mountings of a LHD car.

All is well.

Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
SamTa22

Post by SamTa22 »

Car looks great Chi - whereabouts in London are you?

Drop me a pm if you fancy a beer sometime to talk all things TA22 as I'm up here for work.

:cheers:
'73 TA22 Toyota Celica
'56 Austin A35
'69 MGB GT V8
BMW 330ci individual
L200 classic
Ta22_chi

Post by Ta22_chi »

Hey Sam that be a great idea when shes properly done. She currently in the garage now undergoing the swap. Only thing is i need to.make sure if the timings are the same as a 2tg.

Hopefully get more pics up whilst in the build n strip down mode.

:)
Ta22_chi

Post by Ta22_chi »

Hi fellas so heres the update on whats happening with the swap so far.

I brought the engine off a guy called Chris who had purchased the engine from another guy who has now fled to Dubai. He named his car MEGs ta22 on youtube and was on another forum called uaeboost.

Turns out that the guy spent abit of cash on the efi engine and had it rebuilt by a NOOB.

Why did i say that you ask?? Well i'll let you have a look

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

[/img]

Piston 1 has a head gasket leak and piston 4 the piston was put the wrong way round causing a score and knock taken to it.
Now we are inspecting the crank which i now believe to been upgraded to the 2.0 3t crank which also has a very weird shave on the end of it on the picture u can see it.

Im now having to go through ALOT of pain for this conversion as it wasnt done properly. The block needs to be honed to 89mm from its 88.5 which had pistons from arias made up but had alot of piston slap.

The project now has turnt to a full engine rebuild :(

Does anybody have any info on the guy who did this???

Here are the specs of what he has done.

Engine: 1.6-litre 8v Toyota 2TG-EU twin cam with OMEX 500 engine management, Ford EDIS 4 ignition, HKS m-h-g, RC Racing 270cc injectors, gear drive, Aria custom forged pistons, Eagle con rods, ARP con rod bolts, 88.5mm rebore and 3TC crank increasing capacity to approx 1.9-litre. Balanced: crank, front pulley, clutch and flywheel. Custom mild steel exhaust, baffled sump, Weber fuel pressure regulator, electric fan

Sound good but its actually really badly done.
71ta22

Post by 71ta22 »

Make sure on piston 1 that bore has not become porous. Because of casting variability not all 2T/3T blocks will take an 88.5mm or even 89mm bore.
Mike
71 TA22
Ta22_chi

Post by Ta22_chi »

Cool will do thanks.