Hello From Central Iowa

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
taishan75

Hello From Central Iowa

Post by taishan75 »

Hello all from central Iowa,

Just joined today and excited to start digging through all of the posts.

I have owned several 2nd gen Celicas, a 1st gen and 2nd gen Supra, and a couple of Toyota pickups over the years. But I have always wanted a 1st gen Celica, even though I had never seen one in person. I finally found one this last summer, a '77 Celica GT Liftback. To say it is a little rough is an understatement. To add to the complication, the person that I purchased the car from was a title jumper, and the best I could figure, there were a couple of title jumpers. It took me several months to hunt down the owner of the car according to the title to get it straightened out.

While trying to figure out the title, I really didn't want to do anything to the car, as I didn't know if I was going to be able to keep it. Once we finally got the title officially and legally transfered, my 12 year old son and I started to get the car road worthy so we could drive it a little bit before winter started.

I purchased this car for a father son project and we are both really excited about it. We hope to start tearing it apart this spring, it's going to need alot of love.
Castillo77

Re: Hello From Central Iowa

Post by Castillo77 »

Welcome to the club....and nothing beats a father son project, cant wait to see pics.

-Carlos
taishan75

Re: Hello From Central Iowa

Post by taishan75 »

My 77 Celica LB, as you can see there are some rust issues, I will need new fenders, partial quarters, and rocker panels. Hopefully the hood is repairable. The entire rear interior was removed, seats/panels/etc. I was told it was all there, but it wasn't :banghead2:

The only things I have done to it so far was give it a tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all the fluids. Basically, just trying to get it road worthy so we could drive it around a little before we started tearing it apart. Surprisingly it runs pretty decent, it idles a little high before it warms up, for a car this age.

I have already picked up rear seat belts, passenger side window regulator, hood hinges, and hood prop off of FB. Hopefully I can find all of the rest of the parts that we still need to put it back together. I am not looking forward to replacing all of the window gaskets, as one of the previous owners caulked all of the window trim and now all of that caulking is really hard. I am not even sure if there is window trim under it all. But for $350 for a running Celica, I think I am doing alright.