Enlighten Me

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
msjslick

Enlighten Me

Post by msjslick »

I have a 1977 Celica 20R GT Liftback that I'm in the process of restoring/enhancing. The only problem is I have little to no background in automotive, so I'm not very knowledgable in the area. The restoration part is rather simple, requiring only time and attention to detail. Where I have trouble is under the hood and mechanical works as such. My goal is to tap whatever horsepower and acceleration capabilities that I can. If anyone can help with suggestions or hints of important swops, tune ups, or anything of that nature, I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks
Im jhun_hapi

Re: Enlighten Me

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

welcome.. this is a great site.. alot of info u can learn..
AZCelica

Post by AZCelica »

Welcome to the site. Where are you located. Any pics of the car?

Gil
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

welcome to the site..

1). How much you got to spend? Since you dont' have that much experience in working on cars, then you will have outsource the workl, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

2). Does your car have to be smog legal?

3). How'sthe body? any rust? if so is it cancerous, if so fabrication is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

4). You indicated that restoration is simple, it is not, even for those of us who are mechanically inclined and have money. The vast majority of parts are getting harder to come buy.

5). As far as engine choice, it depends, we've seen Nissan motors, Toy motos, American V-8 and rotaries in our wonderul celicas and various fuel delivery systems (i.e. carbs and which type, down draft, sidedraft, fuel injection and so on, which one).

6). Suspension, various types, will you cut the springs or buy a whole set- up, will you upgrade the brakes to 4 wheels disc brakes.

7). How much are willing to spend on paint, thsi can be $700 - $10,000, maybe more, depending on rust and body conidtion and how many layers and type of paint.

8). Tranny - which one 4 speed, 5 speed.

9). Will you put a roll cage or leave it stock.

10). Will the car be daily driver, 1/4 miler, track or trailer queen, which one?

so as you want more stuff, it will require mo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,
zulu

Post by zulu »

RacerX wrote: 8). Tranny - which one 4 speed, 5 speed.
6 speed wink
Image Image
msjslick

Post by msjslick »

I'm located in Portland, Oregon, and I'll have pics up a soon as I get around to taking some. First of all let me clarify something, I don't intend on fully restoring the car to perfect condition as it is a daily use car, I merely want to get it to the best condition possible with moderate enhancements in a reasonable budget.
Having said that, RacerX, as for your questions:
1) Though I don't have experience,I am a mechanical engineer with minor OCD so I do have a slight mechanical edge and understanding; also I do have friends who are mechanics , they're just not as familiarized with older Celicas as much as I was hoping to get from a populous on a specialty site like this. Basically I can do a surprising amount of cost free labor, just none of the insight.
2) Being a daily driven car, I unfortunately am gonna have to comply with DEQ... Which leads to a question, does the 77 have a catalytic converter stock?
3) The body is for the most part pretty free of rust, what parts are noticeable I am in the process of taking care of; sanding down and using Bondo or if needed, having a buddy of mine weld a few pieces on.
4) Restoration on the level which I speak is easy from the view that with lots of time and precision, it can be accomplished; straightening the panels and hood, sanding and smoothing imperfections on the body, stripping and replacing some items, and such. As for parts, I either make them myself or log some time calling scrap yards or hitting up Ebay. Time is the largest contributor to this part.
5) As for the block, this is an area I'm rather skeptical to mess with. Preferably, I would like to keep the same block or just modify it. For the most part I'm interested in add on and tune ups rather than a block swop.
6) The suspension for the time being is in rather good shape and doesn't require messing with.
7) Paint... ha Well as I stated earlier, I'm taking care of most if not all the body work myself; sanding, Bondoing, and shooting on some sealer, and I'm even planning on stripping the car for the most part myself so there's as little outside labor as possible when it comes to painting. If it has any relevance, she's getting shot a deep glossy blue. Probably one of the more expensive paints but it figures. I don't intend on a full body and frame shot, but not just a cheap masking job either, kind of an in between; stripping doors down and some interior out as well as most seals and exterior liners and logos, but leaving the engine compartment intact and a few minor areas that will not be painted over but I've gotten a little creative on how I'm going to do this.
8) She's a five speed
9) No roll cage, little overboard for my taste, I put in a four point camlock and that's enough for me.
10) As I've said, she's gonna be a daily driven car so even though I want to add some high performance output, I don't want a maintenance nightmare; a healthy medium.

Thank you for your input so far and I look forward to hearing form you.
speedfreak426

Post by speedfreak426 »

#2 : My 77 celica came with a cat
1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
-8 3/4" Dodge Dart axle-3.55
11.20 @ 122mph