Hello from Utah

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
celicoup

Hello from Utah

Post by celicoup »

My first celica was a 72 st I bought back in 91. It had owner induced wiring problems and burnt up after about 6 months. My 2nd was a 76 GT coupe that I bought in Fort Lauderdale in 99 and drove to Utah. I drove it back to Atlanta in 03 for work for about 2 years, then back to Utah.
It eventually rusted out and I gutted everything good for my dads 77 CST to GT coupe conversion. We are working on it at my house.
Last year I found a beautiful 74 GT close to me which I purchased and only drive when the weather is perfect. I would like to find an RG motor for it some day.
Back in December I found a 76 GT fastback that I bought for my daughter and am currently trying to get it road worthy.

Eventually I want my own fastback for a hot rod project. I have a Buick aluminum V8 that I hope to use for that project. My idea is to couple it with a world class T-5 tranny with a .63 to 1 overdrive.

There is a guy here in Utah that makes fiberglass parts for the first gen's. He makes nice smiley bumpers and they can usually be found on ebay.
zipppo

Re: Hello from Utah

Post by zipppo »

The 74 GT is it a red one by chance?

If so I built the car! :2thumbs:
celicoup

Post by celicoup »

That's the one. In fact, I posted a comment on your photobucket picture of the car from above. Did you build this car? It drives like a dream.
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

GM 215 I believe is the perfect engine for these if you want to swap for V-8 power, 215 CI and 215 HP all aluminum with some aftermarket parts available, Had one in a 73 vega once along time ago, same motor the was in the TR8 and now is in the rovers. Interesting to see this happen. Be Safe
Greg
It's a TA27 not a TE27
celicoup

Post by celicoup »

What's even cooler about it is that you can re sleeve and stroke it to a 305. Check out this link.

http://www.aluminumv8.com/index.htm
zipppo

Post by zipppo »

Yes I built the car. Personally being that it is a true 5 speed GT with at the time I sold it 95500 actual miles with factory A/C I would leave it original. There are not many like this left. I had the entire interior redone. I brought the material from the Philippines. Anyway she started life here in Southern Ca. I purchased the car from the original owner he was 78 when I got the car from him. It was a dark green color factory with a tan and white interior, The dash pad was mint no cracks. I dyed it black the rest including all weatherstripping is new.
Anyway welcome glad to hear she is still with us. A car such as this one is a very reare find. The original AM/FM radio still worked when I sold the car.
You have to open a photobucket acct. download pictures there. Copy and paste them here. If I can do it anyone can cause I am very computer challenged!
celicoup

Post by celicoup »

My photobucket account name is celicoupe. Noticed that I put the letter e after celicoup for that account. The car will stay stock but I may try to find an RG head for it when I am ready to finish the engine compt. I did remove the roll cage and sold it because it was a bit too "customized" for my taste. If I am not mistaken, the hood is a 72 right? No matter though because I like that hood anyway. By the way, did the AC work when you had it? It doesn't now but I figured it was just low on freon. I entered it in a car show last June and got lots of praise for it. Of course I had to admit that I didn't build it, but fun none the less. I appreciate you welcoming me to the forum and I am here to stay.

Bill~
zipppo

Post by zipppo »

Yes the A/C worked, the AM/Fm worked heck even the clock worked.
That is a rare car these days very hard to come by. I have not seen another.
That is a 74 hood. I changed to the long style hood flutes after I rechromed them. I also had the front lights blinkers from a 71 so I added the front spoiler and changed the turn signals to the smaller 71-72 style and added rear spoiler. I purchased new 15" Panasport wheels and tires. It still had the stock lower rocker moulding. I left the wheel lip chrome off as they were dinged and not to my liking. If you look at the bumpers I welded the bolts to the bumper ground the heads offf and replated them to give the cleaner 71-72 appearance with no bolt heads.
I spent a lot of time and money on the car.
What did you sell the roll bar for? I paid $380.00 for it new.It was an Auto Power bar out of San Diego.
celicoup

Post by celicoup »

Well you did a great job on the car and it still has less than 97K miles on it. I have only run two tanks of gas through it. I start it up every week to make sure it doesn't feel neglected. I don't have the heart to roll the odometer over. I got $140 for the roll bar. When I saw this car listed I knew right away I had to have it. I actually borrowed on my 401K to get it. The wife doesn't understand the fascination but she is kind enough to tolerate my hobby. You wouldn't happen to have the paint data do you? I need to get a quart so I can finish the engine compt and I want it to match.

Thanks,

Bill~
zipppo

Post by zipppo »

It is the same color Red used on the 2004 Porsche Carrera. If I recall it is Guardsman Red. One thing I have that you might need are the upper strut insulators. As I recall the original ones were worn. I have an extra set New in Bag never used. $40.00 for the pair. Say $50.00 shipped. that is cheap usually about double that if you can find them Let me know if you want them. :2thumbs:
celicoup

Post by celicoup »

I may someday if you still have them but not at the moment. Right now I am busy with the 76 liftback and it's got me tapped.
skeptic

Post by skeptic »

:cheers:
1977 GT Liftback
3SGTE and stuff
celicoup

Post by celicoup »

Hey skeptik, I want to come look at your car. Are you near Layton?
celicoupe

Post by celicoupe »

Just so everyone knows, I fixed my username to include an "e" at the end so if you want to send me a pm please send it to celicoupe.

Bill~
Subtle but stylish