Howdy from Texas

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
sleazy_e

Howdy from Texas

Post by sleazy_e »

Hey all, I'm looking at getting into an TA22 (i think that is the proper code to use for a first gen celica) that I found in town as my next SCCA car. I'm historically a muscle car guy (IROC-Z Camaro) and I want something that doesn't require a lot of headaches for passing emissions, won't kill my wallet, and is something that I can build up *reasonably* as my skill at driving increases. I'm kind of going for the out of the box vehicle outside of the normal Japanese cars: 240sx, AE86, *yawn*, civic.

Are there any parts catalogs out there to get parts to fix a TA22? (similar to the Datsun Z crowd) I can't find anything on Google.com -- I need to get a new front clip for the TA22. As for the car itself, I have yet to check if it's a 5-speed, but if it's not, are 5-speeds for the 18r-c available? I'm so used to domestic parts markets, so I'm kind of lost. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My technical skill is at a novice level -- I've helped my father build cars since I was a kid, but I've never really welded or rebuilt an engine... I've always done body work - playing with metal and other cosmetic touches to make my rides clean. On up side, I'm part of a drag racing team with LOADS of knowledge, but only on the muscle car side. I'm going into uncharted territories here :wave: . Haha!
CLe4R

Re: Howdy from Texas

Post by CLe4R »

From one Texas member to another, let me be the first to welcome you here!

There are enthusiasts and drivers of all stripes here... a handful of drag racers, a couple of drifters, some freeway battlers, and those who would rather just cruise. I have found that there are almost as many opinions as there are members on the boards. That said, if it's drag racing you're interested in, there are some pretty serious speed demons here, and they are usually very generous when supplying knowledge. I'll shut up now, so the experts can chime in. Again, welcome to the board, it's good to have another TX owner.
Tvphotog

Re: Howdy from Texas

Post by Tvphotog »

Howdy from north of the border. As far as parts goes, around the lower midwest/southwest better off buying a whole car. Easiest way to get parts for these things. You may be able to find some fiberglass fenders on Ebay occasionally. Also, this site is a great place to find parts. Ask around, some one here may have the parts you need. Welcome!