newbie from Seattle

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
APeezy

newbie from Seattle

Post by APeezy »

Hi my name is Alex and I have a 73 celica ST. I purchased this car in Bellingham (drive time about 5.5 hours!) this past weekend. I bought this car cause I always wanted to get an old car. It's pretty fun, but I'm realizing it's really hard work. :|

I joined this site hoping I could get some tips. I'd like to drop a newer engine, but don't really know where to start. My dad and I are currently looking over the car and coming up with a to do list (which is getting pretty long). I probably shouldn't get too much into the details here. So I'll save it for other posts.

Here is a pic taken by the previous owner - http://www.flickr.com/photos/37482446@N05/3452190178/

Well, hope I can learn a lot from you guys. :ohyeah:

Thanks,
Apeezy
75CelicaGT

Re: newbie from Seattle

Post by 75CelicaGT »

Car looks good in that pic :2thumbs:

Bellingham, I'm only like 20 minutes north of there, one I cross the border that is.

If you search the site you will find lots of ideas for an engine replacement, some almost just a drop in, others a lot of fab and mods. Best idea is to look at other people's cars in the projects section.

Also post up your project in there are you get stuff done, don't forget lots of pictures.

Welcome aboard, we are here for any support and help you may have.

:cheers:
Pete

PS: There is going to be a 1st Gen Celica gathering in Lynnwood, WA probably in June. Think the details for that are on another site. http://www.classic-celica.com
APeezy

Post by APeezy »

Thanks for the welcome Pete. Yea, I'm rethinking whether I should drop a new engine in my car. I just realized that I have a 18R-J, instead of the 18R-C.

By any chance, does anyone know much about this engine?
will

Post by will »

pretty sure that -J was jus some emissions crap from a later model 18R.. sounds like the engine was replaced to me..
thats all.. I'm going to (educated) guess its the same as the US 18R-C internally. whatever was on the outside, probably isn't there now, having been an engine swap they used all the 18RC stuff and replaced the Long block like most people when doing a replacement swap.

but anyways, welcome abroad. I'm Will and I live in Everett. about 25mils north of Seattle...
72-RA21, 77-RA29, 83-RA65C, 88-AllTrac, 80-RN60-4x4, RA42-race car, 04 F150 STX tow rig.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"..
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing it's Idiot"
APeezy

Post by APeezy »

thanks for the info Will. If I do swap out the engine I was thinking about going with something simple. I've been reading some posts and it seems like the 18 RGU (twin cam?) or the 20r/22r something would be an easier swap. We're thinking the carburator needs to be rebuilt. But if we swap the engine then it won't be a prob anymore.There's a funny smell coming out of the exhaust. Not sure whether it has too much fuel going in.

Yea, I don't venture north much. But I'm going to look into that Lynnwood meet Pete mentioned.
will

Post by will »

keep your eyes open on craigslist. theres someone out past Monroe that has one he puts up for sale once in ahwile.
last i recall he wanted to much for it and i didnt want to argue with the guy.. I'll keep my eyes open for ya.
Ive got one of those on the back burner for my 72 as well.
72-RA21, 77-RA29, 83-RA65C, 88-AllTrac, 80-RN60-4x4, RA42-race car, 04 F150 STX tow rig.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"..
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing it's Idiot"
Tzokay

Post by Tzokay »

Low and behold, I jump on here to look around, and I think I may have bought the one on CL near Monroe you were just talking about. Not to hijack. I just thought it was funny. If it is, I picked it up for 400 instead of the original 800. (If not i will stand in the corner for being stupid.)