Intro...

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
mtbZack

Intro...

Post by mtbZack »

Hi my name is Zack, and I'm addicted to gasol....

Oh, woah, wait, wrong forum, my bad.

I recently stumbled onto an early 1st Gen Celica, and I wanted more info before I decide to pick it up as my "street" JNC project car.

I already have a "race" project 87 MR2.
toyboyracer
Location: BRISBANE Orstrayla-Where Celicas roam FREE in my back yard!

Re: Intro...

Post by toyboyracer »

Cool, I've got a JDM MR-2 with full race/drift sususpension and 3 x 74 Celicas and a 75 Sillycar.

Welcome, grab a chair & a beer and "chill" here for a while ! :cheers:
Was 18 once - A long time ago... In a '66 Holden far far away...
B.C.S - Brisbane Celica Spares

GORDON @ celica-spares@hotmail.com
mtbZack

Post by mtbZack »

Thanks. My car is limited to drivetrain configurations found on US cars, so no 20V/small port/SC 4AG for me.
The MR2 is: http://www.pbase.com/mtb_zack/image/113902014

I have been somewhat inspired by:
http://www.smcars.net/forums/attachment ... d_0036.jpg

and others to build a JNC/Boso style street rod. I just want to use an older car, and as I said I have a line on a 74 GT that has been parked for 9 months. The owner thinks is destined for the crusher. Around the 'shop' we have a number of old school toyota engines include a 18R, 20R, and a 22R. If I can pick it up, it'd be a good starting point for my "lil plan"
toyboyracer
Location: BRISBANE Orstrayla-Where Celicas roam FREE in my back yard!

Post by toyboyracer »

The crusher ?????

Noooooooooooooo !!!!

Save it, if not for yourself - For the other guys here !! :2thumbs:
Was 18 once - A long time ago... In a '66 Holden far far away...
B.C.S - Brisbane Celica Spares

GORDON @ celica-spares@hotmail.com
mtbZack

Post by mtbZack »

*shrug* The owner is some lady out in the country. She says she had "the engine tuned up" back in September, but then she hurt herself and parked it. It has been sitting in her field since. She's been trying to sell it for 3 months, she swears all it needs is some TLC, but she's afraid its going to rust itself to the crusher. (I live in around Houston TX... rust isn't a big problem around here, except for 70-80's Japanese cars)

I'm trying to get better picutres from her of the car before I trek out there with my trailer.
Miles.BIDD

Post by Miles.BIDD »

i say pick it up!!!

welcome to the home of the celica....(the o.g celica that is)
add us on myspace... myspace.com/backindadayz408
Blogspot: Ithinkitsmiles.Blogspot.com
mtbZack

Post by mtbZack »

They are asking $1800, and for a running/driving 74GT I'd be willing to pay that, even with some minor rust/bad paint, minor electrical gremlins, and other things (no AC, interior ugliness, etc)

But now the truth is that it isn't in the condition she originally described. Her daughter (16 yo) was apparently instructed to email me, and from "It runs great" we're now at: It was "tuned" up by the stepdad but now it doesn't run has some rust that they have taped over, needs battery, possibly antifreeze/coolant leak, electrical repair/short for the headlights/turn signals, a sway/panhard (stabilizer) bar needs new bushings, and the clutch is in unknown condition. Of course it needs inspection and tags.

I asked if it would drive onto my trailer and have not gotten a response...
slowmo

Post by slowmo »

Welcome...
I wouldn't pay half that for the description you have. The problem is you don't know how much work it is going to need until you dig into it. I would try to offer a lot lower. If you are enthusiastic and she sees that you want to fix it up and take care of it, she may be willing to come down on price.

Good luck! You can do better than that for 1800, even in TX.
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.