77 Celica GT coupe 22r project

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
jojackson1

77 Celica GT coupe 22r project

Post by jojackson1 »

My name is Josh, I'm 20 and from Gainesville, Fl. I've built motorcycles all my life and now I'm working on my first car. Atleast my first car to be built by myself. It's a 77 Celica GT with a 22r and a 5spd from an 87 pickup. She has a bigger cam, dome top forged pistons, 40mm Mikuni sidedraft carbs, pacesetter header with 2.5" exhaust. She needs body work as should be expected from a seventies toyota built from reclaimed steel..

7t5-27

Re: 77 Celica GT coupe 22r project

Post by 7t5-27 »

Interesting center console you have there, the rest looks to be in decent shape as well. Good Luck Be safe
Greg
It's a TA27 not a TE27
slowmo

Post by slowmo »

Sidedrafts are SOOOO sexy!!!
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.
jojackson1

Post by jojackson1 »

I agree! I love my sidedrafts! My car is a dog though. When I say dog, I mean she has a hard time even catching up with traffic. How quick are these cars typically with similar setups?
Michael Murphy Sr.

Post by Michael Murphy Sr. »

Welcome Josh, Celicas sure are strong with reclaimed steel :ohyeah: , she looks in pretty good shape. do some fine tuning and it will be interesting how the speed will pick up :eek2: Mike
71 Celica
Looked great on the showroom floor in 71, still has that wow factor to me....
46 years latter, still every day driver when theres no salt on the roads......
450,000 miles and counting
75CelicaGT

Post by 75CelicaGT »

Welcome Josh,

A real diamond in the rough there. You engine looks and sounds a lot better than the tired old one I'm using. :2thumbs:

It should be pretty peppy with that setup, could be the carbs are jetted wrong (Ask someone who knows more, as I'm no mechanic), but that would be one guess.

What setup are you using for ignition?

:cheers:
& I look forward to seeing how the project progresses.

Pete
jojackson1

Post by jojackson1 »

I've gone thru everything, but the jet's. I found that the ignition is the original 20r all the way down to the distributor. Do you know if they are even 100% compatible? I mean, it works, but It's soo incredibly slow. I'm trying to find a shop that will look at it, maybe even take it for a spin and tell me what I haven't looked at yet.
slowmo

Post by slowmo »

Where is your dizzy getting its vacuum for the advance? Most sidedraft manifolds don't have provisions for it.
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.
jojackson1

Post by jojackson1 »

there are small ports on the top of the carb that runs the advance, though it's barely pulling any vaccum. I'm looking very hard for a full 22r ignition system. Can I use the 20r wiring harness to hook up the 22r ignition system?
jojackson1

Post by jojackson1 »

body work is never ending. New doors saved me a ton of work. I need a driver side fender. Has anyone here gone with the fiberglass fenders? How do they fit? I'm waiting on the title before o get my new tires and tokico blues!!
75CelicaGT

Post by 75CelicaGT »

Nice to see you started on the bodywork.

I never noticed before but those are some cool looking wheels, any idea what brand & model they are?

Keep the updates coming,
:cheers:
Pete