Looking for a OE Electronic 18RG Distributor

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
mmccul3797

Looking for a OE Electronic 18RG Distributor

Post by mmccul3797 »

Hello Everyone. Just signed up here yesterday. My name is Matt. Some of you might recognize my user name here from eBay. I sell parts on eBay for a living. I just bought a 1974 RA21 last week with a 18RG engine in it for $500.00. The car has been parked for 14 years. The history of this car is a complete mystery since it changed hands a couple times before ending up in a junk yard where I bought it. I am very familiar with these 18RG engines. Back in the late 80s and early 90s I bought several of these engines when they were still being imported though the JDM engine importers. One of the engines I bought back then did have a electronic distributor. After fighting the typical breaker points issues. I swapped in the electronic distributor and immediately the engine ran smoother. Idled smoother. I know there are much better options available these days, but I just want to see how well I can get this engine running before I pull it out of the car. I bought the car for parts so I will be tearing it apart after I drive it home this weekend. From what I can tell. The engine was installed in the car, But most likely never was driven. After I spent 4 hours cleaning a black tar like substance out of the carbs. The engine fired right up. I changed the oil and synchronized the carbs, but didn't idle very good or rev up. After looking over everything closely. I discovered a few thing connected up wrong and numerous vacuum leaks. After correcting those issues. It ran much better. I know I am fighting the inconsistent spark from a crappy points ignition system so I need to swap that out to do further tuning. I included a link to a video showing the engine running. The link is just below the picture of the 18RG engine in the RA21. When I made the video. I had only had it running for about 10 minutes after a fresh oil change. I got it running a little better and idling later on after I made the video. I know this is a very low mileage engine. It runs to well and sounds very solid to be a high mileage worn out engine. No knocks, clicks, ticks or any unusual noises, no smoke and no leaks. You can see in the pictures that the engine has 14 years worth of dust built up on the valve cover. At this point, the 18RG does not have a place in my immediate plans. Before I came across this car. I built a high performance 22R Stroker engine with a 20R head. The engine has a stroker crank that increases the displacement to 2600cc. Along with that, it has Corillo H Beam Rods with ARP Studs and bolts along with ARP Head studs and bolts. The Pistons are forged high compression to give 10:1 compression with the 20R head. The head has over sized stainless steel valves, duel Iskenderian "Isky" valve springs with a Isky Cam. The Carburetors are new Weber 45mm DCOEs. The flywheel is billet light weight aluminum. This engine is going in my 1977 RA29 In all original pristine condition. I bought this car a few months ago from a 79 year old man that bought it new in 1977 in southern California. This car was treated like a new car all its life. Runs great with its stock 20R engine. 5 speed transmission is really tight and shift very nicely. The whole car is really solid and tight. Doors open and close like new. The stock 20R is not my style. I will save the 20R engine. Car came with all the documents from Toyota that document all the options this car was built with from the factory along with all the serial numbers including the ones on the 20R engine. I got both the original keys to the car in perfect shape. Its a true time capsule to the 70s. As you all know. My stroker motor will bolt right in without doing any irreversible damage to the car. My only issue is I need to fine a A/C compressor bracket to mount the compressor down low. Right now the compressor is mounted right up by the head since there is a Smog pump down low. A high mounted compressor will NOT work with my side draft carb set up. I might have to go to a newer style compressor that uses a low mounted bracket. Anyone know where I can find a low mount bracket for the 1970s style compressor? Its a rotary "newer" style compressor but the original one for a 1977 year. I know my car is worth more to a wider audience in stock original factory condition rather than all modified. All modifications will be done so I can return it back to stock someday. I know this next question is a waste of my time. Like everyone else on here. I am looking for a set of RA28 Smiley bumpers for my car also. Know where any are? Dumb question huh. lol. I know I am best go out on my own to look for them since everyone here is looking for the same thing. You can see in the pictures below. How good of shape my RA29 is. That is the original 1977 Paint also. Wish it was white, But I can't be picky when I found this one in this condition. Especially for $1,800.

http://youtu.be/JPWANFfWCJg?hd=1

My 2.6L 22R Stroker RA29
Bollox

Re: Looking for a OE Electronic 18RG Distributor

Post by Bollox »

Welcome Matt, bring on the good deals
The needs of the many outway the needs of the few.