Newbie with ST needs opinions

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
toyprerun

Newbie with ST needs opinions

Post by toyprerun »

Hello Celica community,
I am new to the celica world but grew up with toyota's preety much all my life. I have a Celica ST automatic and supposedly have 140,000 miles and having some issues when it idles.So with a 3 speed trans and I do want to keep the car automatic as I am disabled and cannot drive a stick shift anymore. So I wanted to get opinions and suggestions what engine or setup that I can put in this car to improve it or perhaps a rebuilt? I do not mid the 3 speed and not looking to drive fast as I drive like grandpa. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
faffi

Re: Newbie with ST needs opinions

Post by faffi »

welcome,
this is a good place to start
do you have any photo's of your celica
it's cool that you want to keep the automatic (I also drive one and love it)
about your engine if you are not into fast driving maybe a total refitting of the engine so you have a new one
keep it original :2thumbs:
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Welcome to the board. :)

I've also got a 74 ST. You could get a decent power boost without compromising much on fuel economy or weight by installing a 22R from a later model Toyota. The stock rear end will tolerate it OK (I bought my 74 with an 85 Celica engine and transmission already installed by the previous owner - see pix in the first page of my build thread). I'm assuming your transmission would bolt on... but I don't know for sure. If not, you can probably move a 22R w/ auto transmission into your car w/ out too much trouble.
toyprerun

Post by toyprerun »

Thanks for the feedback and would the 22r motor similar to the smaller 80s pickup truck? I have a lot to learn and I will try figuring out how to post some picts up to share with you guys.
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

toyprerun wrote:Thanks for the feedback and would the 22r motor similar to the smaller 80s pickup truck? I have a lot to learn and I will try figuring out how to post some picts up to share with you guys.
Toyota put 22R motors in lots of pickup trucks. Those will work, but you may need to either modify your crossmember or get a motor with both car and truck motor mounts. Truck headers probably won't fit in your car either, but you can get aftermarket ones that'll fit. I'm not an expert on swaps, so you'll want to ask more questions before proceding. All I can tell you is that my motor and tranny came from an 85 Celica and that the previous owner did not need to modify the 74 crossmember to make the swap work.
toyprerun

Post by toyprerun »

Thanks for the info right now I think my buddy is looking into helping me rebuild the carbs and here is a test photo to share with you guys
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... G_0112.jpg
toyprerun

Post by toyprerun »

faffi

Post by faffi »

your celica looks very clean
nice collor also
toyprerun

Post by toyprerun »

Thanks for the info guys now I need to find a good honest mechanic/shop that knows the 1st gen celica well. I live in the San Gabriel valley in Los Angeles. Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.
vdo_game_junkie

Post by vdo_game_junkie »

Welcome. Pertano's old car?

I know a backyard mechanic who is good, a bit on the expensive side and you can't rush him. He has built two engines for me. There is a shop in Walnut, DB Auto the owner is a real stand up guy. They work on it all. But if you want expertise in old school, Toysport is it.
exodus

Post by exodus »

vdo_game_junkie wrote:Welcome. Pertano's old car?

I know a backyard mechanic who is good, a bit on the expensive side and you can't rush him. He has built two engines for me. There is a shop in Walnut, DB Auto the owner is a real stand up guy. They work on it all. But if you want expertise in old school, Toysport is it.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Foxy:My 1973 Celica-Powered By ITB'd F20c - SOLD 8/13 :(
BUILD THREAD: http://1stgencelica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1221
Flyby Video's of Foxy: http://youtu.be/VSXNinaak8o
toyprerun

Post by toyprerun »

Thanks for the feedback is DB auto are they on Valley blvd and who do i talk to??
vdo_game_junkie

Post by vdo_game_junkie »

toyprerun wrote:Thanks for the feedback is DB auto are they on Valley blvd and who do i talk to??
Yup that's the one. Talk to Ray. Let me know when you'll be in the neighborhood, I'd like to check out your Celica. I'm about 10 minutes from that shop. :2thumbs: