New Guy Here

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
zachm611

New Guy Here

Post by zachm611 »

Hey everyone, im new to celicas and new to 1stgencelica, but I have 2 MK3 Supras, well one is the wifes supra and the other is mine, however I recently picked up a 75 celica GT from the local mans shopping mall (aka junkyard) and its in decent shape, no dents just needs paint, only thing really wrong with the body is the trunk lock cylinder has been busted out. im debating with trying to install a latch mechanism like most other cars now days and just cover that area.

to my suprise it fired right up when a battery was put in, had a really bad exhaust leak but I just had to have it, my next project was going to be either a 1st gen celica or an AE86. I fixed the exhaust leak, it ended up being the gasket and now she sounds much better, except that now I just hear some noise coming from the valves.

The other day I took it on a 2 hour trip and got poor gas mileage around 10mpg and the car seemed a little sluggish so was looking around today and realized that the distributor was almost all the way retarded. I adjusted it a little by ear (I need to buy a timing light) and now its running great! I almost wonder if the P/O did that to lower the idle instead of just adjusting the idle screw because after i advanced it a little it was idling really high now its at a solid 800rpm, is this normal idle speed?

Also I ran a compression test and got between 148-150 in all 4 cylinders. Is this normal?

sorry for the newb questions and my terrible grammar, english never was a good subject for me.
'
faffi

Re: New Guy Here

Post by faffi »

welcome to the forum
where are you from?
do you have photo's?
:cheers:
zachm611

Post by zachm611 »

I am from New Mexico sorry it took so long heres a couple pics a couple I included the wifes supra. No the front doesnt usually sit that high on the MK3 im just waiting to get the block back from the machine shop so I can assemble it.

Not the prettiest

With the supra

supra other side

Trunk lock cylinder busted out and weather stripping dangling :( lol but thats pretty much only thing wrong with the car aside from paint
salmendoza

Post by salmendoza »

nice ride yovvv :D
zachm611

Post by zachm611 »

Thanks! these are fun cars, took the celica for a drive up the mountain and it didnt really have any problems at all... and I managed to get the wife to change the oil on the car some how... she wanted to learn lol

however afterwards my suspicions were confirmed as to why the past oil change sticker said 20w50... now there is some tapping noise coming from the engine :( I am very interested in doing a 2rz/3rz swap someday in the future, I have heard good things about the 2rz and 3rz engines, the 20R lacks the peppiness that I would like, I have a 22R in my truck but after doing research it seems the 2rz/3rz is definitely the better option if I decide to turbo. buttttt I do happen to have an extra 7mgte laying around in the garage so who knows lol.

how many people on this site have done the 2rz/3rz swap? I hope there is enough and some that are willing to share their knowledge and research.

looking forward to making some new friends and learning new things about these cars.
exodus

Post by exodus »

welcome to the boards...

nice celica!!! she seems to be a pretty solid car.... you got lucky...

most of these you find not running...
Foxy:My 1973 Celica-Powered By ITB'd F20c - SOLD 8/13 :(
BUILD THREAD: http://1stgencelica.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1221
Flyby Video's of Foxy: http://youtu.be/VSXNinaak8o
zachm611

Post by zachm611 »

thanks and yes it does seem to be pretty solid though i am not so happy about the tapping noise after an oil change, I need to find my stethoscope.
speedfreak426

Post by speedfreak426 »

That thing will move out with some serious motivation with a 7M :lol:

Won't fit too easy if you have the shorter engine bay though. It fit relatively easily in my 77
1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
-8 3/4" Dodge Dart axle-3.55
11.20 @ 122mph
zachm611

Post by zachm611 »

Haha I'm sure it will I just don't know if I want to use the 7m for my pickup or the celica. It looks like a pretty tight squeeze though in my engine bay :(
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Nice find! I used to have a 75 back in college and I've got a soft spot for them. Yours looks nice! :)

Welcome to the board.
zachm611

Post by zachm611 »

Thanks chris your car looks great too