Long time lurker

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
stcespedes

Long time lurker

Post by stcespedes »

Hey there, I've been lurking around the forums for awhile and decided to finally introduce myself! I live in Corvallis, OR and recently bought a 1976 RA24 from a guy in Washougal, WA (of course I had to go out of state to find it). I'm young and new to celicas and the entire auto scene all together, but I'm fairly educated and eager to learn! I've never seen a 1st gen celica around town, until now! :woot:

Anyway, when I bought the car I had to have it towed down here because it ran, but it skipped a tooth on the timing chain. So I replaced the timing cover gaskets (it had a major oil leak :x ) and retimed it, then after I started it up again the front main oil seal was bad! I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if I scratched the oil pump surface but it was slinging oil all over the place. So I just bought a new crank seal and I'm waiting for some good weather to slap that guy in.

He gave me all sorts of extra parts for sale with the car (rear differential, drums, front and rear springs, exhaust manifold, slave cylinder, etc.) including a 20r and w40 out of his other celica. All of these I'm looking to sell soon, I'll post an ad sometime, but it'd be really great if someone in the area was interested? Yeah right, oh well.

My plans for the car is a daily driver, with some kick to it :mrgreen: but not a all track car obviously. The car has a 21ru in it currently, and I really want to get rid of it ASAP. Not a big fan of it, and its inconvenient to find parts for. I've been interested in the 7mge swap and I've really been reading up on speedfreak426's write up. But for now, it's scrounging up funds and fixing minor issues with the interior/exterior (its CRAP). Pictures soon to come! Thats all for now, thanks alot guys and I'm looking forward to being an "official" member of 1st Gen Celica! :2thumbs:
YellowHawtness

Re: Long time lurker

Post by YellowHawtness »

A 21r shares a ton of the same parts as a 20/22R. The parts would be as easy, if not more easy to get than a 7M? The cost will be lower too. You state that you are young. If you are anything like me and my friends when we were in our teens, a built 2xx motor will get you in plenty of trouble, be able to put a smile on your face, but won't be overkill for your experience.

God I sound old.
stcespedes

Post by stcespedes »

Thats probably a good call. I know I'll stick with the 21ru for the time being, I'm just getting caught up in my day dreams. Someday perhaps!
As for the oil leak, have you had any experience with this? The kit I bought from napa came with a new crankshaft seal which I installed, and its already gone out?
faffi

Post by faffi »

do you have any photo's of your celica?
Foxau2

Post by Foxau2 »

When I went through my 20R last year, it had an incredible amount of oil slinging from the oil pump. Turns out I only put the bolts in finger tight. :oops: But just make sure the little gasket ring thing around the face of the oil pump is in place when you put the pump back on. If it falls out of the slot and gets pinched, you will have a nice sized oil leak.

Have any pics? :2thumbs:

Nate
View my current build here:

Foxau2.tumblr.com

Until the forum is open for all to view without logging in, my updates will go there.
speedfreak426

Post by speedfreak426 »

Nice to see there are still people reading my writeup!

I personally would not bother going through the trouble of installing a 7M if it wasn't turbocharged, and also.... I wouldn't put a turbo 7M in for a daily driver, because you will get a LOT of tickets! :doh:

But seriously, feel free to ask me anything about the swap that you would like to know, welcome!
1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
-8 3/4" Dodge Dart axle-3.55
11.20 @ 122mph
stcespedes

Post by stcespedes »

Alright sounds good, I'll be extra super careful when I install that new seal then. Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Unfortunately pictures of the car are on a camera somewhere around the house I cant find, I bet my brother has it :arg: Pictures shall come soon enough
stcespedes

Post by stcespedes »

Pictures! finally, shes quite a looker ain't she? :wink:
The bad, ran into a blown head gasket. So after a days work the head is off and cleanup on the surfaces is starting soon. Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning? Coworker said plastic razor blades and a wirebrush.

The good, I'm picking up a 22r tomorrow :ohyeah: which is completely disassembled. I guess the guy planned to rebuild it and changed his mind :confused: Anyway, plans are to get the 21 running again, and build up the 22 in the garage. (20r/22r hybrid in the making? perhaps)

dont mind the tarp

The extent of the rust on the car, besides where the spare sits.

no roof liner for me :(

Dash is missing the very top piece, dont mind the coolant either.

off with its head!

thats all for now, let me guys know what you think!
will

Post by will »

21R can be peppy with the right parts. It's 1972cc instead of a 2189cc. but it makes more hp then a stock
20R and at a higher rpm. they share the same stroke. the cranks & rods are 2xR, but the pistons are much smaller at
85mm instead of 88mm.. to limit the cc under 2000cc for road tax reasons in japan.

swapping to a 22R bottom end would raise the cc to 2367 and keep the right head on that block..

Not sure on the 21R block castings..
but I have taken 20R blocks to 93mm(using 1mm over size 22R pistons) many times.
And recently took a very early 20R casting to 96mm for my roundy round racer.
(not stock at all nor cheap)

(if you need a good 20R head, let me know... i've got several)
72-RA21, 77-RA29, 83-RA65C, 88-AllTrac, 80-RN60-4x4, RA42-race car, 04 F150 STX tow rig.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"..
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing it's Idiot"
stcespedes

Post by stcespedes »

Right now I'm to the point where I need a new head gasket for the 21r. I emailed Engnbldr and he said to use a 20r h/g. Wiki says the bore from a 20r is 88.4mm while the 21r is 84mm. Do you think I'll be fine?

Will I might be interested in a good 20r head, I'll send you a PM
will

Post by will »

stcespedes wrote:Right now I'm to the point where I need a new head gasket for the 21r. I emailed Engnbldr and he said to use a 20r h/g. Wiki says the bore from a 20r is 88.4mm while the 21r is 84mm. Do you think I'll be fine?

Will I might be interested in a good 20r head, I'll send you a PM
yeah use a 20R HG for the 21R bottom end.
72-RA21, 77-RA29, 83-RA65C, 88-AllTrac, 80-RN60-4x4, RA42-race car, 04 F150 STX tow rig.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"..
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing it's Idiot"