New to Toyota, new to the Celica, new to the site!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
Hmph

New to Toyota, new to the Celica, new to the site!

Post by Hmph »

My name is Riley, I am 21 years old and reside in Tacoma, wa. Very excited to be a part of this website and community! My interest grew in these 1st gen Celicas a few weeks back when I came across a '75 Gt coupe sitting in a neighborhood in a part of town that I frequented. I've been wanting to pick up a project and did a little digging into these cars and decided to inquire aboutthe car. Knocked on the door, talked to the guy, and a few phone calls and texts later he was writing a bill of sale and handing me the title. A price of $200 USD was agreed on. biggrin

The car had been sitting about 6 months. At one point the key stuck in the on position at start and fried the coil and starter. No big deal I thought!
There is also other issues (comparatively minor IMO)...

*Wiring issue. Car has NO dash Gauges functioning (gas, speedo, tach, etc) no brakelights, no turn signals, no dome light etc ect you get the idea. Car DOES have headlights, highs &lows. Interesting, Is there any easy explanation for this? I was thinking some bad wire/wires, possibly bad relay or bad ground? The wiring under the dash seems questionable... :roll:

*The car also has some bits of rust, in perhaps some not so typical places? I've seen the spare tire well rust out on older cars, that's to be expected...but on this specific car the hood is also rusted out, as well as the trunklid. Other than that, the car is fairly rust free!

Towed the car home (well to my Fiances parents house) down the street. New starter new coil charge battery and she came to life. Let her run for a while an was pleasantly surprised to hear a pretty solid motor (in my mind :wink: )
Very stoked!

Got the car to MY home and now I am here. I will be getting her on the road ASAP and will share my experiences as i do so. Hopefully with the help and assistance from past and future discussion on this board It will be sooner than anticipated. I and am greatful that such a grand place exists, and thank everyone who supports the site and allows people like me to join in. :cheers:
Riley
Last edited by Hmph on July 10th, 2011, 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious $#!+.
Hmph

Re: New to Toyota, new to the Celica, new to the site!

Post by Hmph »

Oh yeah, photos to come! :doh:

UPDATE---PHOTOS ADDED
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious $#!+.
faffi

Post by faffi »

welcome,
thats a nice project you have,
this is the place to be with al your questions :2thumbs:
Hmph

Post by Hmph »

spacecowboyian

Post by spacecowboyian »

Welcome! Solid deal for $200!