New member from SW Wash with a 1 owner '77 Liftback

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
seventy7gtlb

New member from SW Wash with a 1 owner '77 Liftback

Post by seventy7gtlb »

Hi,
I just ran across this site after joining on classic-celica. I have a 77 GT Liftback that I bought new. It has sat in a shop for about 16 years now. I got it running while back with the intent of selling it. I have had second thoughts. For some reason, I have never been able to sell it over the years. Now that I have owned it so long, I think I will restore it and put it back on the road. Sorry for poor pics...it's kind of trapped for the time being until I can move another car out of the way.

Yes, the 94,700 miles is actual. Unmolested and zero rust should make it a straight forward restoration.

Anyway, I like to read about everyone elses projects and get restoration info and tips.
smiley

Re: New member from SW Wash with a 1 owner '77 Liftback

Post by smiley »

Hello, welcome. Looks like a nice clean car. Especially the interior...Mike
faffi

Post by faffi »

welcome,
nice and clean celica you have,
I think you are one of the few who are 1st owner of there 1st gen. :2thumbs:
I'ts a good thing that you don't sell her
have fun on the forun
seventy7gtlb

Post by seventy7gtlb »

Thanks for the "welcomes" and nice comments. Once I get this thing out of storage and start restoration, I will post some better pics. Over the years it has had fluid changes and periodic starting, so mechanics are good. Brake system will need attention. I put silicone brake fluid in years ago after one caliper seized up from moisture / rust in the regular fluid. Interior is mint except for typical sagging headliner. Needs a repaint and I want to remove the aftermarket side moldings that the dealer put on, so some holes to address. I would like to replace the GT stripes, but they seem hard to locate.

And yes, from what I am hearing, there are very few of us left that are the original owners. If you do the math, that makes me OLD.
faffi

Post by faffi »

seventy7gtlb wrote:
And yes, from what I am hearing, there are very few of us left that are the original owners. If you do the math, that makes me OLD.
age is somthing between your ears :lol2: :lol2:
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Welcome! :)

Nice car! Looks like it doesn't need much to be pretty perfect. You can probably get your driver seat bottom refreshed (just foam and some stitching) and then do a few maintenance items and then you're ready for driving and car shows!

There are other one owner cars here. YellowJacket is restoring his 77 coupe. He's doing a ground up resto though.
seventy7gtlb

Post by seventy7gtlb »

You can probably get your driver seat bottom refreshed (just foam and some stitching)
Many, many, many years ago, I replaced that cover with a new one from Toyota...it always had that odd wrinkle in it. Yeah, i agree, maybe add foam, but the stitching is fine. The stitching on the seatbacks has worn, but the vinyl is perfect, so that should be easy to restitch. The dash pad was also replaced one time long ago when new ones were still available from Toyota. Too bad these things aren't still on the shelf at the local dealer. My only interior issue is the headliner. I hear thats not too hard to fix either. Here's another angle on the driver seat.

Yeah, I am familiar with YellowJacket and Walter34. Searching on the internet for Celica restorations lead me to both of their projects. I am absolutely amazed at the level of work they are doing on their cars. I actually live pretty close to Walter34, so it would be kind of cool to see his Celica in person someday. YellowJacket's work is phenominal.

Anyway, like I mentioned before, I had every intention of selling mine. But too many years and memories. Now I am pretty stoked to get the car out of storage, in my own garage and start working on it!
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

I'm happy for you! Really! I only wish I still had my first Celica (1975).

YellowJacket's car is pretty amazing. I helped him stage his "some assembly required" photo. He's good people. So is Walter. When my 74 is ready, we'll have to do another photoshoot - 2 yellow 1st gens in New England! :)