Meet Rover!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
danielcespedes

Meet Rover!

Post by danielcespedes »

Hey guys, I'm new here to the forum and I'm the proud owner of a '77 Celica of a few months now. Bought 'im in June and I definitely had some work to do... mostly body stuff (rust, rust, rust), but it had some carb trouble too. I'll start a project thread soon and get the pics up of the work I've done thus far.

P.S. My brother (who has a '76 celica) and I have been arguing over which is which--can anybody tell me if this is a GT or an ST?? And what's the difference?
liftback77

Re: Meet Rover!

Post by liftback77 »

dear mr toittisttub,

thank you very much for your brief,relevant and to the point answer! :screwy:
it shows that you have spared no effort to keep this post on topic and not unnecessarily long and boring.

patrick...
vercjum2

Post by vercjum2 »

Sorry, we get those once in awhile! I Just banned him already.
Live LIFE the fulliest now... you don't know if you'll have tomorrow !!!
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

Difference was tire and rim pkg. I'm QUITE sure only GT's had 2 door mirrors the rest just drivers side. Basically trim levels were the only difference. From my personal experience owning 2 first gens new in 72(st) and 77 (gt)
I can only talk about North American cars though as things change around the planet

Add your location to your profile so we can help you with anything in the future

:cheers:

Neilo
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
Toyotero

Post by Toyotero »

Welcome to the club. Best of luck!
El Toyotero - My Introduction
A 5TEHN Tacoma, a MA67 Supra, a 4Runner, RA29 Celica and a FJ40 LandCruiser
faffi

Post by faffi »

welcome,
for your question
in europe, the difference is in the motor and intereur and also front grill
on the GT
a more horsepower engine and overhead camshaft
intereur leather seats
a chrome front grill
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Welcome! :)

Well unless things changed in later models, the GTs have 4 spoke steering wheels and a honeycomb grill. Also, there is a strip of stainless that runs down the bottom edge of the sides of the car. Transmission might be 5-speed too, but I'm not sure on that. Of course, there is also the GT badges, instead of ST badges. Most of the cosmetic stuff could have been swapped though at some point in the past 30 years. People with STs often like to "upgrade" the cosmetic stuff to GT. I never did understand this practice myself. I've always liked the ST models myself (I've had 4 of them, a 71, two 74s and a 75). Though admittedly, my 90 was a GTS. biggrin
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

ChristobalRocks wrote:Welcome! :)

Well unless things changed in later models, the GTs have 4 spoke steering wheels and a honeycomb grill. Also, there is a strip of stainless that runs down the bottom edge of the sides of the car. Transmission might be 5-speed too, but I'm not sure on that. Of course, there is also the GT badges, instead of ST badges. Most of the cosmetic stuff could have been swapped though at some point in the past 30 years. People with STs often like to "upgrade" the cosmetic stuff to GT. I never did understand this practice myself. I've always liked the ST models myself (I've had 4 of them, a 71, two 74s and a 75). Though admittedly, my 90 was a GTS. biggrin

So, as I said above it is basically a trim level issue in NA. not sure about the tranny question my ST 72 was a 4 speed, can't recall if there was a 5 speed offered don't think so as I probably would have gone for it. My 77GT was a 5 sp it was that or auto. In Canada in 77 I think the st was gone or not imported

Neil
neil reid

Post by neil reid »