Aloha

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
butnut

Aloha

Post by butnut »

Toyotas, Datsuns and Bugs were really big here in the early 80s...don't see many around here nowdays. Before I got into 510's, I got the Toy bug and bought a 1970 Celica...yes, I'm kinda confused by what's online about the US getting the Celica in '71...but I swear mine was a '70..had the car almost 10 years and registered it every year. Got it from a former service guy, had the fender mirrors (which I thought was so hideous at the time surprised ) and a 20R motor....which I've read came out in later years? So I'm not sure what the deal is, but it's a first year car, just like my 68 Datsun wagon. I remember the odd color, Guam Beige...yuck...went with a nice black paint...one of the first black Celicas here. No one lowered their car in the 80's. I did minor engine mods...cam, headers, and a 'Pearl Harbor' shop made manifold to stick a huge Holly 500 carb 2 bbl on top...that sucked gas! Carina 411? gears out back...the car was in immaculate shape when I bought it and sold it. A friend of mine helped me flare the rear fenders, he did an amazing job. I used Chevy II Nova front coils to raise the rear a bit :wink:... I'm looking for a '70-72 Celica now, yeah, the mid-life crisis bug has bit and I'm still kickin' myself for not jumping on Tonys white Celica. Not wanting to work on any projects, gotta keep wifey happy too confused so a nice restored early Toy is what I'm looking for. I'm all for motor, suspension, brake upgrades, still a hot rodder...so if you guys know of anyone selling a nice Celica, lemme know. I'm in Hawaii so west coast would be ideal for Matson shipping, I can fly up and check it out if it's a solid car. Mahalo! Here's some old photos of my Toy.
Brian
neil reid

Re: Aloha

Post by neil reid »

That is a SERIOUS GTF "out of my way" STANCE!

Like it

Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
Stevieg

Post by Stevieg »

Yours was probably a late 1970 production date but a 1971 model year? And is it just an optICal illusion or is that some mad negative camber/bent rear axle going on there?
butnut

Post by butnut »

Thanks Neil...loved that car. The pic looks weird on that tire, but it was slightly cambered...I started the trend over 30 years ago..haha...now it catches on. wink
faffi

Post by faffi »

cool celica :eek2:
love the looks ,rear flat lights :woot:
the back a little higher nice :2thumbs:
butnut

Post by butnut »

Thanks Faffi....really wish I kept this one! :cry: