New '74 ST owner!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
STflyer74

New '74 ST owner!

Post by STflyer74 »

Hello all,

I just picked up my Celica today! I am super excited about it. Not in the best shape by any means but she is definiteyl clean. Main things I need to clean/fix are weatherstripping, driver rear window does not work (off the track I do believe), Some minor rust on the roof and trunk pan, nothing serious though, and some fresh paint would do nicely.

Anyway, here are some pics I took after I gave her a nice clay bar. :)

73GTV

Re: New '74 ST owner!

Post by 73GTV »

Very nice, please update your info to show what state or country your located, Great project and welcome to the site.
I'm an Opinionated Old fart: I insist that you read the Troubleshooting charts first: I'm Just saying...
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
1974 RN22 Hilux (LHD)(Pickup)
STflyer74

Post by STflyer74 »

Thank you. And I'm all updated! :)
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

Look at the FAQ section and follow the post that will lead you to the sites that reference the parts manuals, parts listings and training for Toyota training for their technicians. Cool stuff and alot of great information.

Edit: I have to tell you that your car and color of your interior is the same package that a friend owned when I was first introduce to the Toyota Celica. The same year. He use to run from stop light to stop light, squealing tire before leaving the Airbase heading towards Canada which was 21 miles away up Interstate 87. Tickets he had and cared very little about as long as that car was driven hard, he was in heaven. Those are my first Celica Memories as I rode shotgun..Good Times Man, Good Times. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Last edited by 73GTV on February 26th, 2012, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an Opinionated Old fart: I insist that you read the Troubleshooting charts first: I'm Just saying...
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
STflyer74

Post by STflyer74 »

Awesome! Thank you so much!
faffi

Post by faffi »

welcome to the forum,

nice ride

special plans?

:cheers:
STflyer74

Post by STflyer74 »

I just saw the edit. ^^ that's crazy. I'm actually not a huge fan of the goldish paint color. The interior doesn't bother me though.

I do have some big plans for the car eventually. Power plant swap, paint, lowered, the whole game really. But I am in school and currently unemployed so that may be another year or so before I am able to build it up.

For now though, I'm going to clean it up and pretty much do a "partial" restore. Fix a couple rust spots, new weather stripping around the doors and side windows, freshen up the motor, and pretty much intend to keep it a daily for a little while.
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
STflyer74

Post by STflyer74 »

Awesome! Thank you so much man! You've beena huge help!

Only problem I have now, is actually burning oil. Doesn't smoke to bad, but then again a have tons of exhaust leaks. But you can just sit there and listen to the motor run and it sounds to me that it has a pretty messed up valve. Not positive, but pretty sure. No oil on any of the plugs or anything. The noise is very prominent. Easy to here.

But oh well. I'll was planning to daily this car for awhile. I may see about finding someone with another 18rc I can bum off them.

But either way, I still LOVE the car! :D
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

DO a compression check to see where you are and follow that link to Stepho forum or site to see if you are within the limits, If its a bad valve you will know right off.
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
STflyer74

Post by STflyer74 »

I will definitely be doing a compression test. I did, however, pull off the valve cover to see if anything was noticeably wrong.

Well, I found this...

It has the consistancy of jello. I wanted to eat it, but I'm pretty sure that would have killed me. Anyway, It was in/around 2 valvesprings. Not sure if it is the cause of my problem, but I know it isn't good.
Kylehugo

Post by Kylehugo »

Crap, that looks bad, at least it's the non-loved 18RC. Makes me wanna go check my car for the same problem
IG @deathofkyle
STflyer74

Post by STflyer74 »

Yeah. I have no idea what this stuff is. I would like to say a chemical reaction to fluids mixing, but I don't know. I've never seen it before. But at any rate. It didn't fix my issue. So I'll just drive the car until she quits and then either swap another 18rc into it or if I have the money, I'll just start my build.
STflyer74

Post by STflyer74 »

Turns out that stuff is parraffin wax that has been removed from oil that is probably ages old. From all the heat and such, it likes to collect in tight areas, like the valve springs. I hope to fix the stick valve too. I think some fresh oil and some de carbon will help.
1.8what

Post by 1.8what »

Seafoam will eat it up. I have an extra W50 sitting right down the road in Lexington (S.C) you're welcome to have. Free. I also have a 2tc w/ t50 but the swap is not straight forward. All parts are in Lexington, about 15 minutes from you if you're in Columbia.