Hello All! Possible GT Liftback Incoming... (Santa Cruz)

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
russnuck

Hello All! Possible GT Liftback Incoming... (Santa Cruz)

Post by russnuck »

For nearly a year now, the wife and I have been taking regular walks around my Sister's neighborhood in the evenings. Each evening we would pass by a house with a Celica GT liftback sitting under a makeshift awning, looking oh so sad. Every time we would pass, and look at the expired tags, I would comment on how I would love to have it!

Last week, my sister happened to see her neighbor in the yard and passed on my sentiments. A couple of days later I was knocking on the door, I left my number. A few days passed and I started to get anxious at not having received a call. Last night came the breakthrough! As we were leaving, the neighbor pulled up! We talked for nearly 30 minutes.

If all goes well, I will drive the car on Sunday (5/6), sell the WRX on the following Friday (5/11), and have a better car the same day. :mrgreen:

* Currently with its 3rd owner, her father owned it for nearly 15 years (he is a master mechanic)
* 200K miles (it's just broken in!), straight body, no accidents, no dents, 100% stock
* Has recently passed smog and it will run
* 5 Speed (of course)
* Minor interior wear, cracked dash, some cracking in the leather
* Pictures to follow
* I have already identified ~$5000 in mods :lol2:

Russell
slowmo

Re: Hello All! Possible GT Liftback Incoming... (Santa Cruz)

Post by slowmo »

And so it begins...LOL Welcome aboard the crazy train. :wave:
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.
Im jhun_hapi

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

Welcome.. pics pls..
russnuck

Post by russnuck »

If it passes the initial road test, pics inc on Sunday.
russnuck

Post by russnuck »

Good news, it apparently only has 120k miles, it is running, and being detailed inside and out for my test drive tomorrow!
russnuck

Post by russnuck »

Well just got back from the road test... Fortunately no one was hurt during the road test. Nothing like having the brakes fail and the left front caliper seize up and kill the steering on you. So that being said first on the to do list is the brake master cylinder, pads, rotors, SS brake lines, etc.

Engine and transmission are fine, no other major rust than what you see in the pictures (rear hatch, left side near the windshield). The hood needs to be flattened out, the head liner replaced, and the mold eradicated.

russnuck

Post by russnuck »

Well I got the DMV paperwork today, I am just waiting on the rest of the brake components to arrive. Going to start a project thread I guess :mrgreen:
Michael Murphy Sr.

Post by Michael Murphy Sr. »

Congrats on the new ride, youll have many many years of enjoyment :2thumbs: Fun car to drive ... This site is great for asking questions and getting good results from them. Amazing the parts you will also find at this site... Nice area ya live in, used to live in the Prundale area my self a few years back... Lovedmteh weatherrrr
71 Celica
Looked great on the showroom floor in 71, still has that wow factor to me....
46 years latter, still every day driver when theres no salt on the roads......
450,000 miles and counting
batosai

Post by batosai »

Welcome to the site & congratulations on the purchase. I can somewhat relate to your story because it took me roughly almost 2 years before I was able to get the owner to sell me his car! LOL Anyhow, greetings from San Jose and maybe I'll see you in any of the local meets. If you can, check out my team site at teamrev.net when you have a chance. :cheers:
Team Xclusiv
toyboyracer
Location: BRISBANE Orstrayla-Where Celicas roam FREE in my back yard!

Post by toyboyracer »

If all goes well, I will drive the car on Sunday (5/6), sell the WRX on the following Friday (5/11), and have a better car the same day.
The rexy forum guys Worldwide are having fits over that statement ! :lol2:

That's a very tidy car & treat it like a new born: Gently run it in (rpm) and get her up to speed over a few days :2thumbs:

Don't dump & run otherwise the top rings will hit the bore lip & it's re-build time.. :nonono:

Hope you have her for the next 35 years !
Was 18 once - A long time ago... In a '66 Holden far far away...
B.C.S - Brisbane Celica Spares

GORDON @ celica-spares@hotmail.com