Finally getting serious about a celica

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
spiffoi77

Finally getting serious about a celica

Post by spiffoi77 »

Hi guys, introducing myself so I dont get deleted! I've always wanted a 1st gen celica but have recently decided that it's time. Partly because I am in a good financial place partly because I'm pretty much done with my latest project. I own a 2002 wrx that is being featured on Hella flush soon. I will post pics when they are available. I also own a 1990 supra turbo with a blown 7mgte (possible swap for my celica to be) I have owned 3 1st gen mr2s a 1972 cadillac eldorado and my first car was a 1989 celica gt coupe with an all trac engine swap that I street raced when I was 16!

So far I'm trying to decide between the different years of celica and if I want a hatchback or coupe... I'm entertaining the idea of doing a 3sgte swap wondering if that means I should definitely go pre smog? any help would be awesome.
toyboyracer
Location: BRISBANE Orstrayla-Where Celicas roam FREE in my back yard!

Re: Finally getting serious about a celica

Post by toyboyracer »

Really really check for rust unless it's a Cali Celica - The paint just could be holding it together !

G'day Mate from Kangaroo land :cheers:
Was 18 once - A long time ago... In a '66 Holden far far away...
B.C.S - Brisbane Celica Spares

GORDON @ celica-spares@hotmail.com
spiffoi77

Post by spiffoi77 »

I'm in the bay area, so hopefully my celica will be a cali car. After doing more research it seems that the 3sgte might be more trouble than it's worth. I want to maintain a decent weight distribution so i'm not sure if the 7mgte is a great plan either. I'm thinking about a fastback because I enjoy the styling even though they are quite a bit heavier. I'm most confused about the rear suspension, i've seen some sort of kit for the front on techno toy tuning but what do you guys do for the rear?
toyboyracer

Post by toyboyracer »

Fastback from memory is only 160lb heavier - Just looks the size of a beached Whale ! :lol2:

spiffoi77

Post by spiffoi77 »

after doing some research it looks like the fastback is around 500lbs heavier. This figure didn't sound right to me but that's what I've found
Im jhun_hapi

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

Heads up Liftback is only 76-77 only and it will need to be smog. Ur best bet is pre 75 and wont worry bout smog. R u jst looking for a rolling shell and cancer free? Ur best bet rite now is Santos. He jst in Sac. Btw what part of the bay u from?

Welcome :2thumbs:
toyboyracer

Post by toyboyracer »

spiffoi77 wrote:after doing some research it looks like the fastback is around 500lbs heavier. This figure didn't sound right to me but that's what I've found
I really should not post when tired - I was thinking difference 71-75 vs the RA24 :doh:

spiffoi77

Post by spiffoi77 »

I am from Campbell. I sent Santos and Email but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. If I could get a good rolling shell that was cancer free and complete interior for a good price that would be fine. If I found something that was painted a color I like with smileys for a little extra that would be even better. I know someone that will smog a later year car, and I'm thinking i won't get ref'd because the car is fairly old (cop's tend not to mess with older car's as much)