Hello from Fort Collins, Colorado

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).

Hello from Fort Collins, Colorado

Post by Topo »

Hi there everyone!

My name is Quinn and I'm looking at buying a '77 GT coupe in the next couple of weeks (assuming everything goes as planned, I'm kind of pushing the seller to ditch the current "buyer" because he's taken almost a month to come through with the money.)

I'm an avid Toyota fan, when I was 16 I owned a 300whp Celica All-Trac. I currently own a 91 MR2 with a 3.0L V6 that I swapped in to it. I also own a 02 Ford Focus SVT as a DD.

As I mentioned above, I'm living in Fort Collins, Colorado. I'm studying Journalism and Technical Communications at Colorado State University, 22 years old, blah blah blah.

If I manage to obtain the Celica, I want to restore it to a beautiful condition, lower it, wheels/tires, paint, JDM parts (mirrors, front spoiler{I think it's called?}).
The motor has 210K+ miles but is strong according to the owner. I either want to rebuild it and/or convert it to fuel injection, perhaps swap the motor for one of the later years 4banger turbo motors. Totally unsure yet.

I love the 1st gens more than most Toyotas.

Questions, concerns, comments are totally welcome. I would love to become a part of this community regardless of whether I get this specific Celica or not, a 1st gen will be mine at some point. :banghead:
TA28Dutch

Re: Hello from Fort Collins, Colorado

Post by TA28Dutch »

And welcome, Quinn, from the across the pond. :wave:
Hope you get your car, and make it beautiful!
Remember, we're addicts for pics, pics, and more pics of girls and Celica's, not necessarily in that order! :wtf:
Lately my mind is bit like my internet browser; too many open tabs, some are frozen,
and I have no idea where the music is coming from..... :roll:
1977 CelicaTA28,
1974 VW Type 2, (T1)
1976 Honda CB750
1992 Honda ST1100 Pan European

Post by Topo »

TA28Dutch wrote:Remember, we're addicts for pics, pics, and more pics of girls and Celica's, not necessarily in that order! :wtf:
No girls yet, but here is my current project, my MR2 V6.
This is the craigslist picture from 2007 :
First accident 2008 (neighbor's kid backed out of their driveway straight in to my car):
Second accident 2009 (drunk driver shifted 3 lanes across the interstate and swiped me):
My car now:
The V6 fits like a glove:

3.0L 1MZFE from a 1995 Lexus ES300
PowerTrixx coilovers (same as Stance, custom made for the MKII MR2)
17 x 7 Enkei wheels
Other stuff

This is the 77 GT I'm trying to buy:
http://images.craigslist.org/5L15Ge5Kc3 ... c711a2.jpg
MikeBuff

Post by MikeBuff »

Whats up Quinn,

Awesome MR2, that was the car I was also looking at when buying my 1stgen, I think I would have been happy either way both great cars. Yours is super clean and love the swap! Visited Fort Collins last year loved it awesome place.
Vegeta the 1971 Ra20 F20C

Post by Topo »

Yeah, I really like the MR2s. And I went above and beyond what I originally intended to do with the car. But how do you learn, if you don't jump in head first?

Every time a 1st Gen Celica pops up on CL here in Colorado I try to buy it, if I have the financial stability. Hopefully this time it will work out (and the car is of good enough quality to purchase)

What are some common problems? I've heard the gauge electronics can be a little funny some times. And obviously with an older car, I'll likely need to replace suspension parts.

What about aftermarket and OEM replacement parts? Specifically suspension, clutch, bigger carbs, spoilers(and other cosmetic items), where can I find those parts?