TA22 in Melbourne Australia

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
TA22downunder

TA22 in Melbourne Australia

Post by TA22downunder »

G'day all.

My names Pinky. I'm in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. I'm actually a classic Holden man through and through, but I've had Chryslers, Dodges, Mazdas, Toyotas, and more. All except a Ford.
I asked my 17 year old son, Forrest, a while ago what he wanted for his first car and I wasn't expecting a real answer other than 'I don't know....whatever....as long as it runs"
He totally floored me when he said "A TA22 Celica, not a TA23, because I like the shorter nose. It doesn't have to be a GT, but it wold be cool if it had a few GT parts."
Someone did their homework....

Anyway, I hunted high and low for a decent TA22 in Victoria under $5000. hahahahahah.....that's funny!!
After about 4 months of searching I accidently came across one in the back of a factory. All professionally put into undercoat and waiting for paint. A project abandoned 5 years ago! :2thumbs:
To my surprise it came with a donor car. A rusted out TA22 with a handful of GT bits, and to my delight, all he wanted was the tidy sum of $1000. Done deal! :eek2:

I picked them up a week and a half ago, and already stripped the donor for everything I could possibly unscrew that wasn't a rusted throw away, and with that done, it's off to the scrap yard in a few days. There is seriously not 1 panel, sill, or qtr worth hanging on to. This thing is faaarked....but if anyone in Melbourne thinks they can salvage the floor diff, front suspension, etc, they are welcome to take away what's left.

Both cars had DOHCs in them, but Toyotas are a whole new thing to me, so I have no real idea of what is what. I picked up a 2T to put in it, but it had a 2T-GEU in it already. Having trouble finding out if these were an option. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
The donor also had a DOHC in it but it doesn't say if it's a 2T-GEU. I'll start a project thread soon with pics and if anyone can share their knowledge on this I'd be grateful. :huh:

Here in Melbourne Aus, we have 2 year probationary licences from when we turn 18. This has many restrictions including what's done to the car itself, including no turbos or V8, and any engine with more cc than was optioned for that model is not allowed either. :banghead:
So the plan is to throw the 1600 2T in for the 2 years, while I build him some insane monster of a motor, that will pass an engineering inspection. All vehicles here require a Road Worthy Certificate (safety inspection) before they are registered. Then there is the registration itself, an easy process once the RWC is done. But any vehicle having the motor cc increased by a certain amount, or a certain power to weight ratio change, also requires an engineer’s report to say it’s not going to break in half.. :banghead2:
Anyway, that’s a bit about me and what I’m doing. You can see and read more when I start the project thread. :)

Onya cobber.

Pinky.
A car on the road is worth 2 in the shed.
tech5

Re: TA22 in Melbourne Australia

Post by tech5 »

Welcome to the forums!! This is a great place for very useful info regarding our hotrods! Please start a build thread with pics so we can follow your down under progress!! :D
mosesmulwa

Post by mosesmulwa »

Pinky,

Love that story especially:

"A TA22 Celica, not a TA23, because I like the shorter nose. It doesn't have to be a GT, but it wold be cool if it had a few GT parts."
Someone did their homework....
:cheers:

Nice find too. Post some pictures sometime.

Welcome. :2thumbs:
Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on Simplicity
- Plato -
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

[quote="TA22downunder"]

Both cars had DOHCs in them, but Toyotas are a whole new thing to me, so I have no real idea of what is what. I picked up a 2T to put in it, but it had a 2T-GEU in it already. Having trouble finding out if these were an option. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
quote]

http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/index.html
Your source for information and specifics about your purchase, Enjoy :cheers:
I'm an Opinionated Old fart: I insist that you read the Troubleshooting charts first: I'm Just saying...
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
1974 RN22 Hilux (LHD)(Pickup)