Newb with 1977 Liftback, ? Engine, Need Parts*

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
silversurfermd

Newb with 1977 Liftback, ? Engine, Need Parts*

Post by silversurfermd »

Hi all. I will post a formal introduction later. I just bought a liftback online but I have not shipped it yet. It is bone stock but I am worried that it is not California smog legal. Does anybody know if Toyota produced 49 state legal liftbacks or just 50 state legal ones? Basically I need to know if all liftbacks came with catalytic converters. Am I way off and don't need to worry about this? :confused:
Last edited by silversurfermd on November 17th, 2012, 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toadboy

Re: 1977 Liftback California Smog

Post by toadboy »

I bought one from California in March and it has a catalytic converter and electronic ignition. It has a sticker in the drivers quarter window saying "catalyst". I think the electronic ignition is California spec only for 1977. Hope this is helpful.
silversurfermd

Re: 1977 Liftback In Los Angeles *Need Parts*

Post by silversurfermd »

I've got the car now. Don't know if it's cali legal until I try to smog it. Need a battery. Need interior. Need tires. Car hasn't started in years (I think). I plan to change all the fluids, lube, distributer, wires, plugs. Should I drain and flush the fuel tank? I don't have a whole lot of room to work.
neil reid

Re: Newb with 1977 Liftback, ? Engine, Need Parts*

Post by neil reid »

Definately drain and flush the tank, if it hasn't run in years then there will be sludge/gum/rust etc that needs to be cleared. Get a few cans of carb cleaner and go through the carburettor as well. fuel filter may(will) be fouled as well. Shoot some cleaner down the fuel lines at the filter as well. Try and get as much crud out as possible before throwing it at the carb where it will really get jammed up. Don't want to scare you, but its best to get it all before it hits the carb.

Good Luck and Welcome
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
silversurfermd

Re: Newb with 1977 Liftback, ? Engine, Need Parts*

Post by silversurfermd »

neil reid wrote:Definately drain and flush the tank, if it hasn't run in years then there will be sludge/gum/rust etc that needs to be cleared. Get a few cans of carb cleaner and go through the carburettor as well. fuel filter may(will) be fouled as well. Shoot some cleaner down the fuel lines at the filter as well. Try and get as much crud out as possible before throwing it at the carb where it will really get jammed up. Don't want to scare you, but its best to get it all before it hits the carb.

Good Luck and Welcome
Thanks for the advice! I found these tips on how to drain and flush the tank...viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7610&p=69357&hilit ... ank#p69357
silversurfermd

77LB Coming Along

Post by silversurfermd »

So things have come along a bit. I replaced the stock rims (flat tires) with used supra wheels/tires. Got some interior parts (thank you Santos). And have started to deconstruct the interior. I rewired the distributor/plugs along with wires that mice chewed through (droppings throughout engine bay). Got a new battery. Drained the fuel tank. It was a &!+(# finding a hazardous materials recycling place for the old fuel on short notice. I added the new fuel, hooked up the battery, sprayed starting fluid into the carb and the engine fired up and ran. The fuel pump sounds to be squealing. Anybody have suggestions for a low pressure high volume fuel pump that can flow more than stock?