new to 1st Gen Celica...question

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
yodahose

new to 1st Gen Celica...question

Post by yodahose »

Glad to have found this site. Recently given a 1977 toyota celica stored find.Tranny went out in 1983 and parked under tarp that eroded. Have 2 other toyota's 1980 4x4 and 1980(1979 chassis) Dolphin Rv. Celica gt is the trunk type.Question the drivers side rear wheel is froze. Trying to figure out what to remove and wd40 so i can pull it home 1 block..some details of how to check whether its the brake piston or e brake thats holding it frozen. appreciate the help.And if anyone can point me to where i can get a master key for the locking gas cap ignition and trunk and doors. My pickup key fits the trunk and ignition.but i think ignition is like my truck it would turn with the use of a dime.

Appreciate the help,

Yodahose :confused:
ra29dreams

Re: new to 1st Gen Celica...question

Post by ra29dreams »

welcome to the site!

If a rear wheel is seized, it's a drum brake so best to start with that. First jack up the car and see if both wheels are free W/O the ebrake engaged. Then do it again WITH the ebrake engaged.

When the ebrake is off and the other side spins, then you know the brakes are frozen. Otherwise it might be the bearings. Start by taking the drum off and inspecting the brake system to see if you can free it up if it is indeed seized.

goodluck...

--Chris
1995 XV10 Camry LE -- 321,000 and counting!
1977 RA29 Celica GT Liftback -- 80,000 on clock, but who knows how many she's got?!

smiley

Post by smiley »

Hello, if it is the brake that is frozen, lots of times hitting the drum with a big hammer will break it free, then you can get it home to inspect...mike
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

smiley wrote:Hello, if it is the brake that is frozen, lots of times hitting the drum with a big hammer will break it free, then you can get it home to inspect...mike

x2....usually its the ONLY thing that works! :banghead:

Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT