Introduction

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
321go

Introduction

Post by 321go »

Hello everyone !

I am Dindo. Happy to be the new owner of a first gen coupe. Always wanted first gen Celicas ever since.Last week the opportunity came and I jumped on it. Although in fair shape. I am hoping that with all your help I would like to restore it properly and correctly.

To start with, would like to determine what model is it exactly. The previous owner is a young guy who got the car from his dad. With no knowledge of early Celicas, he was not able to give me much information. He actually sold me the car to get a Civic.

I realized after I got it that the car has U.S extended bumpers. Was wondering if it was converted or originals. Because as per the registration papers its a 1972 Model. :confused:

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/321go ... sort=3&o=0

Hope you guys could help figure it out so I can start restoring it soon. :D

Thanks

BTW, It has an 18RG and chassis no. is RA21-006342.
dsp979

Re: Introduction

Post by dsp979 »

Kumusta, kababayan.

Following info is accurate for US-market Celicas.

Flat-lights, like what you have on the car, are 71-72 model years only.

Is the gas filler plate between the taillights (71-72), or on the left side pillar (73- onwards)?

U.S.-market models did not get extended bumpers until model year 1975.

Best bet is to look at door jamb plate. It should have month and year your car was made.

Good luck on resto.
Last edited by dsp979 on June 16th, 2013, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971, 72, 74 Celicas
1985 AE88 hatch
1989 240SX hatch
2020 86 TRD package (sold 2004 IS300 5MT)
Im jhun_hapi

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

Bossing kamusta.. welcome.. :cheers:

From the first look its looks like a 71-72 except for that USDM safety bumpers :banghead: :rant: I have no idea why they replaced the smiley bumpers with those :( But with your vin# RA21-006342 its made between Oct - Nov 1971 --> http://members.iinet.com.au/~stepho/celframe.htm also your outside sail panel is wrong.

Im hoping u didnt pay over 150k for her. Cuz to track down those missing parts will be expensive. You should get some money back.. good luck pare btw have u check out Oldschoolpilipinas.net ?? Look for Madds (Frank) very good guy hes also a member here..

Rocky
321go

Post by 321go »

Hello Sirs!

I've check under the rear bumper and found the indentation at the center of the rear valance for the plate number.Cant seem to find my door jamb plate though. And yes filler cap is in between the tail lights.

So, it seems I have an early US ver. coupe which has been converted with later models bumpers.

The earlier owner, probably thinking it would be cooler if he could make his coupe look like a newer model. I could imagine, he must have really went out of his way to do that(especially during those days here in the PI). Whats ironic is , I will now be reversing all the things he did :)

I really wanted to have an early model, so happy to know that i got one indeed. Would like to correct all the things that the previous owner did and restore this car correctly. Sir rocky, sail panel wrong? please enlighten me.

Luckily paid a fair price for the car ( the Toscos in the photos are from my KP60, just test fitted them on the RA). Its getting harder and harder to get a decent early model car here, there is just so few of them. Because of this, prices of these cars have risen here.

You guys are better off there, from what i see, just in this forum there still a lot of good cars to restore there.

Salamat sa reply. :D

ps. will try to hook up with Maads sir
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

Thanks for posting Dindo, looks like you are going to get lots of help!!

Nice looking car! :cheers:

Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
321go

Post by 321go »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
Im jhun_hapi

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

Sail panels are the one behind the small rear window. Those came from 73+ coupes. Bossing try to read tru each section first there's a lot of info or use the search botton.

Also check how they install those bumpers maybe they cut of parts u might need for ur restoration. Good luck

Btw taga saan ka as Manila?
321go

Post by 321go »

Ah OK. Will do just that.

Yes I agree, will look at every detail so If I order or look for parts, Ill be sure that my list is complte.

Sta Ana, Manila/makati sir.

Thanks
RafRA25

Post by RafRA25 »

Hi sir.
Rare car you got there. Very very nice :)
The US bumpers/ 5-mile bumpers were a common upgrade to old school cars here in the philippines. Back in the day (this is according to my father as well as some friends) our old school cars came with chrome bumpers and the US-spec bumpers are an expensive upgrade back in the day. Maybe the owner was thinking that is was a period correct upgrade.

Btw, tiga-ortigas lang rin po ako. If u want those bumpers converted I think I can help you out on the bumpers.
If you are in makati area, try looking for the shop named "Sushi Machine" located in Manchas street, look for Neil Cristobal or Jay. They are also restoring a coupe and a liftback and are great people to deal with and they might have extra parts. And if theres anything else I could help you with just let me know po. Good project and God bless :)

-Raf Rivera
Last edited by RafRA25 on June 18th, 2013, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 RA25 ST - Sold
1974 RA21 GT - Sold
1977 RA29 GT with Smileys. - Sold
Still have the Smileys though.
1979 - RT132 Corona Hardtop/ Macho Machine 18RG
321go

Post by 321go »

Hello sir!

Salamat sir.

Appreciate the help! Thank you! biggrin
RCurioso88

Post by RCurioso88 »

Kabayan, kamusta! Nice car, pare. You're lucky with the availability of parts back in the homeland. Here in Ohio, not a lot of people have heard of 1st gen celicas let alone have parts for them. Good luck with the project, keep us updated
RA24 1977 Toyota Celica GT coupe - Weekend car/Car show queen
FZJ80 1997 Toyota Landcruiser - Go Anywhere/Roadtrip everywhere vehicle
GDA 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX - Daily Driver/Fun car
321go

Post by 321go »

RCurioso88 wrote:Kabayan, kamusta! Nice car, pare. You're lucky with the availability of parts back in the homeland. Here in Ohio, not a lot of people have heard of 1st gen celicas let alone have parts for them. Good luck with the project, keep us updated
Salamat. The truth is, new parts here are getting harder to come by :( . Actually considering getting some of the restoration parts from over there .
celicarally

Post by celicarally »

Hi My name is Rob from Melbourne.
My partner and i have an RA28 with an 18RG set up for rallying, an SA63 Sport also set up for rallying and a TA45 GT R as a road / show car.
dsc201knoc

Post by dsc201knoc »

OMG!!! that car looks good... even with the us bumpers.

I saw a really nice Blue Celica in Zambaunga City last sunday. I have been searching for one when i get home in august.. I was at the ATM and i saw it drive by, on my way back to the Air Base... I saw it parked on the side of the road...

I was like, 'I NEED ONE' :mrgreen:

Beautiful Car Bro...
2013 Abarth 500 - 2005 Chevy Colorado - 1979 Fiat Bertone x1/9 (For Sale)

Looking for a Gen 1 Celica Coupe or Lift.
tmecars

Post by tmecars »

congrats! LOVE THE WHEELS!!!!!
looking for a 1st gen