Hopefully a soon to be new owner of a Gen 1 Celica

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
dsc201knoc

Re: Hopefully a soon to be new owner of a Gen 1 Celica

Post by dsc201knoc »

Yay... neh?

$2500

Kind of a headache because this guy lost the title, so i would need to go during the week apply for an oregon title, get a temp plate wait for the title to come in then pay for a wa title and get it registered later.

Also, that vinyl stuff on the back part of the roof, is it hard to get off?

This stuff here vvvvvv

This one is in cali, 76 Lift. No price, says make offer, low ballers will be ignored.. Then has the ad marked as $1 so what would the value be? Wheels dont come with the car, said he has basic steel wheels.

2013 Abarth 500 - 2005 Chevy Colorado - 1979 Fiat Bertone x1/9 (For Sale)

Looking for a Gen 1 Celica Coupe or Lift.
vervepipes

Post by vervepipes »

I'm not sure how the vinyl roof's trim is held in place, I don't think it was like that from factory? The Liftback looks very nice. Without a baseline price to negotiate from, who knows what he considers low ball
Image Image
'77 RA29 GT
'11 Grand Caravan
'03 Yamaha Vino
dsc201knoc

Post by dsc201knoc »

vervepipes wrote:I'm not sure how the vinyl roof's trim is held in place, I don't think it was like that from factory? The Liftback looks very nice. Without a baseline price to negotiate from, who knows what he considers low ball
Thats the first time i have seen it and to me its gross... I hate being away trying to talk to people. Unless you are in their face they act like you arent serious.

As for the other one, i wrote him asking what he wants for the car, i hate playing car games... Like tell me what you want and we can work from there. In the same fact i dont want to be like ill give you 2200 and him not respond because he is upset.

I mean obviously i want it for as cheap as he will sell it to me. Leaves more room for mods, who wouldnt want that. I found a real sweet white one but its not running, guy says he has all the parts to get it running but, with the travel i dont have a trailer so i dont want to pay to have the car moved just to have to put it together once i get it, and the guy is asking 3500 for it.. Seems like a lot for a car that isnt running but for some reason i like this one.

vervepipes

Post by vervepipes »

That one looks like it's in fantastic shape. The liftback in your earlier post, I could see being in the 3500-4000 range. For the non running one, 1500 max, but location determines prices
Image Image
'77 RA29 GT
'11 Grand Caravan
'03 Yamaha Vino
Im jhun_hapi

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

dsc201knoc wrote:
From what heard b4 its fairly easy to removed. The thing watch out for is the rust under the s/s strip and also I think there little holes after removing the strip.

Im sure others can chime in that have done in the past about it.
dsc201knoc

Post by dsc201knoc »

vervepipes wrote:That one looks like it's in fantastic shape. The liftback in your earlier post, I could see being in the 3500-4000 range. For the non running one, 1500 max, but location determines prices
The white one is in vegas somewhere.. I can buy a trailer and tow hitch and bring it home. Im sure if i offered 1500 the guy would kill me especially if he thinks the its worth 3500.. Claims he has all the parts to make it run; however, i am the guy that is more of, well make it run and call me back and then we will talk, if you have all the parts to make it run. Otherwise the parts are just car parts with a car that doesnt run.

The blue lift is nice, I feel like i would be paying for his tacky wheels that i dont think fit the car and a paint job thats nice and new but it seems a little fancy for me. I wouldnt be apposed to dropping 3500 on the car if i had to, especially if it drives as good as the paint looks. Paint just wasnt one of my big concerns.

jhun_hapi wrote:
dsc201knoc wrote:
From what heard b4 its fairly easy to removed. The thing watch out for is the rust under the s/s strip and also I think there little holes after removing the strip.

Im sure others can chime in that have done in the past about it.
So basically tack welding holes and then sanding smooth? Its an oregon car but i havent seen much rust in photos, i have requested more photos but am still waiting. I think the alternator is going out in the car also because he said he is having 'electrical problems' after installing the stereo, or he is just pulling too much juice from the battery and needs a strike cap.

The other oregon car is the rusty grey one.. So the chance of rust under the roof liner could be a big possibility.

Thanks again guys ugeek

dsc201knoc

Post by dsc201knoc »

Giggity... :mrgreen: Im a wheel and stance guy.... It makes such a difference..

Love multi pc BBS, because you can make them whatever you want... But love the lips on the enkeis

dsc201knoc

Post by dsc201knoc »

71Celica St 1.8 4 speed Asking 3900

Looks clean but it is a 4 spd... ST

Maybe too clean for me.. I wouldnt want to pay that much to make it mine. I feel like this one may be more for someone who would OEM Restore it. Thoughts?

This one is a trip away but may be worth it 2k but look at the front wheels those look like enkei meshies... Like 800 a set.. so if he has all four we are talking 800 for wheels and 1200 for the car??? biggrin

Ok so its like 1800 miles away and between buying a trailer and time, and gas im looking at close to 1k, too bad i got excited and bought a tow hitch for my truck 5 minutes ago... :doh: 170 dollars.. I saw gas was like 240 each way and i was like, yeah thats not happening. so trailer 500, 500 gas, 170 hitch.. yeah i know shipping wont be a grand.

What we thinking??? Ignore the silly back wheels look at demz meshies.....!!! geek

vervepipes

Post by vervepipes »

Is the flat black paint covering up shoddy body work? Those missing vents can be difficult to find since they become so brittle. The 4 speed in the red one can easily be replaced with a 5 speed from numerous sources, not too hard to find a cheap tranny to stick in there.
Image Image
'77 RA29 GT
'11 Grand Caravan
'03 Yamaha Vino
dsc201knoc

Post by dsc201knoc »

vervepipes wrote:Is the flat black paint covering up shoddy body work? Those missing vents can be difficult to find since they become so brittle. The 4 speed in the red one can easily be replaced with a 5 speed from numerous sources, not too hard to find a cheap tranny to stick in there.
Yeah probably shotty bodywork.. I can deal with that... What about repo vents?

are the 5 swaps pretty easy?

Im jhun_hapi

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

no repo vents..

ill take the 71 but offer lower price but show cash. 71 are very sought after just make sure vin start RA20. It have flat lights, smiley w/o safety bumperettes or bolt holes. Those alone will cost $800-$1200 depends on the condition. The fuel filler is between the tail lights it flips down. The hood vents $150+ side mirror $150+ So its add up.

All I can say grab her.. Thats a good price but make sure check the car very good. check for rust for sure. Just get her shpped less headache.

ur getting her swap anyway. ask Santos for input on shipper.

btw Enkei have a similar called Enkie 98 very rare but make sure have complete center ring and caps. cus im still looking for extra ring n caps :(
jesa02

Post by jesa02 »

I just looked at the '71 Celica and here are my thoughts. Overall, the car is decent, but the car looks a LOT better in the photos than in real life. The original color of the car was light green. The car has been repainted a few times without proper prep, and was painted using different shades of red each time. There are several areas of bondo that are starting to crack through. The prep for the paint jobs was done poorly as things were just taped off rather than removed for paint, so there is overspray on the rubber parts of the car, etc. The trunk is still the original green color of the car. There is bubbling rust under the rear fender along the seam that connects the quarter panel to the straight panel under the rear bumper. The lower front fenders are rusted out on both sides of the car, and is rusting the area of the car under the fenders. Both quarter panel windows are off track, so there are gaps between them and the door windows - so this car must be parked in a garage to avoid further damage. The rubber weatherstrip piece above the doors needs replacing. The passenger side window takes *extreme effort to roll down. Seems to be binding. The hood hinge is bent from someone trying to close the hood without releasing the hinge, and the hood vents are delaminating with bubbles. On the plus side, the engine is strong, and the car drives decently, and shifts well. The clutch has a very short throw or maybe 1"-2" before it completely engages, then the rest of the clutch pedal release is for... um fun? Un-cracked dash, and un-molested instrument panel. Stock AM radio is there and works. Interior looks decent. Seat covers over front seats cover tears on driver seat. All the gauges look to work, except the clock. Radiator cap still has original chain which is nice. The engine bay was painted black a while back. The rear shocks look to have been recently replaced, and new tires.
dsc201knoc

Post by dsc201knoc »

jhun_hapi wrote:no repo vents..

ill take the 71 but offer lower price but show cash. 71 are very sought after just make sure vin start RA20. It have flat lights, smiley w/o safety bumperettes or bolt holes. Those alone will cost $800-$1200 depends on the condition. The fuel filler is between the tail lights it flips down. The hood vents $150+ side mirror $150+ So its add up.

All I can say grab her.. Thats a good price but make sure check the car very good. check for rust for sure. Just get her shpped less headache.

ur getting her swap anyway. ask Santos for input on shipper.

btw Enkei have a similar called Enkie 98 very rare but make sure have complete center ring and caps. cus im still looking for extra ring n caps :(
Ok no repo vents,sucks but i get it.. is there a market for repo vents... I have been one to repo parts on off times to just make things available that arent. As for the 71 thats more local to me so I would be able to get it. After reading below it appears the people are reaching for the 4k for that car. I have seen some pretty clean ones go for 4000. I know most people use emotional value over actual condition value. So even my e30... It had 800 in brakes, 800 in wheels and tires. 400 exhaust, new interior.. (I pulled out the 700 dollar seats and put the oem ones back in) but i sold the car for 3k... So overall i took 300 less and i still need to sell a rare set of 36 m3 seats which is a headache. Gave him 2 extra wheels also.. So i mean, people get so upset when you start talking what you are looking to pay.

With u ship its kind of cool, you put out a photo of the car and shippers bid against eachother for the job. So the shipping of my motorcycle went from 800 down to 300 in the end.

As for the enkei 98s, very familiar.. In the BMW community the bbs wheels are like the enkei wheels for jdms. A lot of people also use mr2 wheels on the oldschool MK1 VWs.. I bought a set for my rabbit that i was building. If we are missing caps usually spray the centers black so they dont stand out so much wink
jesa02 wrote:I just looked at the '71 Celica and here are my thoughts. Overall, the car is decent, but the car looks a LOT better in the photos than in real life. The original color of the car was light green. The car has been repainted a few times without proper prep, and was painted using different shades of red each time. There are several areas of bondo that are starting to crack through. The prep for the paint jobs was done poorly as things were just taped off rather than removed for paint, so there is overspray on the rubber parts of the car, etc. The trunk is still the original green color of the car. There is bubbling rust under the rear fender along the seam that connects the quarter panel to the straight panel under the rear bumper. The lower front fenders are rusted out on both sides of the car, and is rusting the area of the car under the fenders. Both quarter panel windows are off track, so there are gaps between them and the door windows - so this car must be parked in a garage to avoid further damage. The rubber weatherstrip piece above the doors needs replacing. The passenger side window takes *extreme effort to roll down. Seems to be binding. The hood hinge is bent from someone trying to close the hood without releasing the hinge, and the hood vents are delaminating with bubbles. On the plus side, the engine is strong, and the car drives decently, and shifts well. The clutch has a very short throw or maybe 1"-2" before it completely engages, then the rest of the clutch pedal release is for... um fun? Un-cracked dash, and un-molested instrument panel. Stock AM radio is there and works. Interior looks decent. Seat covers over front seats cover tears on driver seat. All the gauges look to work, except the clock. Radiator cap still has original chain which is nice. The engine bay was painted black a while back. The rear shocks look to have been recently replaced, and new tires.
So since you are an owner what price would you put on the car? Im not trying to buy someones heart, just their car. I wont be RESTORING the car, i will be driving the car and like i said earilier going along the lines of sandwichmanns car.

I want something that im not afraid to drive and accents who i am, that being said, im a tattooed, ssg in the armed forces, who has worked in the infantry and now special operations. I like them low and wide, rust doesnt bother me (unless its the frame) matte black or primer grey is fine for me, comfortable seats, good stereo, dark tint.. Doesnt need to be fast, you know that VW saying.. 'You aint dubbin unless you rubbin'

I love the restored cars, but this project is another project that is all about character, turning heads, and being different.

http://youtu.be/R5YMLh5IO24

Dem Seats.... Anyone recognize them.. Plus its an auto :| but if it isnt a bad swap i can take care of it, hopefully it is as easy as an e36 trans swap...

dsc201knoc

Post by dsc201knoc »

Also, he has the side vents... BOOM geek

Its an auto, im looking up swap parts right now...

I have to assume, trans, drive shaft, clutch, pedal assmbly, clutch line to master (or does it run cable or independent master?)

Ill look it up..

jesa02

Post by jesa02 »

For the work that would need to go into the red one, I wouldn't personally go higher than $2K. Others may go higher, but it a personal choice. Looks like sandwichman is selling his [edit - Car I saw for sale is not his]. I think you would be better off with that one.

Oops, not Sandwichman, but one similar to his: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3933263879.html