First time classic car owner

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
blackrb240

First time classic car owner

Post by blackrb240 »

Hey guys, name's Justin and I own/operate Q Fab Motorsports out of West Columbia, SC. I specialize in custom electrical for drift cars, show cars, and street cars mainly performing wiring/plumbing tucks and swaps to put engines in chassis that don't belong. I've owned over 30 S13's and S14's in the past 8 or so years and still own a few, but have recently been looking to build something a little more old school. I grew up around American Muscle but have always had a soft spot for all classic cars. I really came to love the styling of the 1st gens when a friend of mine, also in SC, bought a white '77 and swapped an RB20 into it. I helped him with some wiring on the car and then I was a bit hooked. No sooner than I clear up some debt and get a few cars sold does a friend of mine from college call me about wanting to sell his 1974 ST. It was a project for him in school and he was in the process of swapping a Mitsubishi 4G63/Mighty Max transmission into the car. His price was so low that I would have been a total idiot to not pick the car up, so we trailered her to the shop the next day.

The motor/transmission in the engine bay

After about a day of work, I had the car de-pinstriped, de-stickered, and de-badged the car, yanked the motor, and put all of the stock interior in storage.

First impressions, I love the little car (I say little because I'm 6'4'' 325lbs). Found a rust spot above the windshield and one on the hood with dime size holes, nothing some flat sheet metal repair can't fix. The underside is extremely clean, body is very straight, interior in damn good shape and still has a headliner that's perfect! I was very surprised for it being a 1974 to be in such good shape. Something else I thought was cool about the car...

Center exit exhaust!

I already have a few plans for it and have been following multiple builds for quite some time. It will be a long term project, but hey, you have to have a goal right?

Engine: 1UZ non VVT-i with OBX ITB's
Trans: W58
Suspension/Chassis: Still reading about AE86 front spindle/coilovers and MKII/MKIII Supra rear parts, definitely will be converting to a manual rack and pinion for better steering feel
Wheels: Watanabe or similar knockoffs (everyone does them but they look so damn good)
Body modification: Front splitter, rear coupe spoiler, reproduction flares, maybe 1970-1971 taillights if they fit, fender mirrors

I also love the old style oil cooler mounting where the lines hang out of one of the highbeam holes. I know this car is famous but it's b-e-a-utiful.

Well, thanks for reading. I hope to build a badass car, be a part of this awesome community and make a whole bunch of friends while I'm at it!
Last edited by blackrb240 on August 15th, 2013, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jesa02

Re: First time classic car owner

Post by jesa02 »

Nice acquisition! The center exhaust is interesting. I haven't seen that before, and honestly looks pretty neat.

Welcome to the board, and have fun with the build!
Im jhun_hapi

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

Welcome. :wave:

Flat lights will fit ur car all you have to worry is the wiring setup and mounting the holes also get ready to fetch $300+ for the set :)

I think maybe the prior owner of that car is a member here cuz he had a similar setup on engine and tranny but I could be wrong. Keep us updated..
tmecars

Post by tmecars »

hey welcome!
your csr looks really nice. very similar in color to mine. im going to be starting a 2rz swap soon. sure wish i had ur help witb some wiring!
looking for a 1st gen