Hello from KS!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
NoMoreIdeas

Hello from KS!

Post by NoMoreIdeas »

My name is Tyler, I've been lurking this site for a while and i've been bitten by the 1st gen bug. I'm hopefully picking up a 76 GT coupe this weekend and I'm pretty excited! I'm pretty new to old school stuff so i'm still learning alot. Which BTW, what is the difference between a RA25, TA27.. etc? I know they are chassis codes but dont know exactly what chassis they coorelate to? There seems to be such little literature on these (which I love that they are so unique).

I have a Toyota past; I've owned 3 MR2's and currently have a built 91 turbo that is fast as hell, and daily drive a 95 celica (it just wont die!). Also picked up a E46 M3 last year.. those are very awesome cars :)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this project. This site seems to have a lot of knowledge on here!
slowmo

Re: Hello from KS!

Post by slowmo »

Welcome aboard!
This link will give you a cheat sheet:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/oldcodes.htm

Good luck! You may have better luck finding one somewhere out west and shipping it. It may be cheaper and you can find ones in better condition as well. They are fun cars to work on since they are so simple. You will get a lot of attention driving one too.
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.
NoMoreIdeas

Post by NoMoreIdeas »

slowmo wrote:Welcome aboard!
This link will give you a cheat sheet:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/oldcodes.htm

Good luck! You may have better luck finding one somewhere out west and shipping it. It may be cheaper and you can find ones in better condition as well. They are fun cars to work on since they are so simple. You will get a lot of attention driving one too.
Awesome Thanks! And your pretty close! I found one not too far from you actually. 76 GT coupe 5 spd (exactly what i was looking for), in overall pretty decent condition. Guy says piston rings are bad but I guess he was driving it, it stalled, they started it back up and a big puff of black smoke came out and that was it. I'm guessing carburetion, rings wouldn't just go like that. Dash is cracked, drivers seat has a couple of tears, but everything is there. A little rust on the rockers, and on the outside (towards fender) on the shock towers. I'm getting it for under 2k. Is that a decent deal? All the ones i can find are ST automatics that dont run and are missing parts, and people are still asking 2k!
slowmo

Post by slowmo »

What part of KS are you in? I just found the ad you are referring to. Do you have pics? That will help dictate if that is a decent price or not. I think I would try to talk him down.
Also, what are your plans for the car? If it has the stuff you need, then maybe it'll work for you. How much of the work can you do yourself? How do you plan on getting it home? How much will transporting it cost you?

BTW, I'll be in St. Louis with my family for the Rams game this Saturday.
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.
NoMoreIdeas

Post by NoMoreIdeas »

Picked it up Friday! I was told it didnt run and that the rings were bad.. a little starting fluid and it started right up! The alt is dead so i'm running off battery, but it runs and drives. The carb def needs to be gone through and the timing is off (I didnt see a timing plate by the crank). Anyway, here are a couple of pics:

Officially mine :)
Safely home!