New Member, LONG time owner!!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
RA29Man

New Member, LONG time owner!!

Post by RA29Man »

Hey whats up first gen lovers. I have been into Toyotas for a long time and have had quite a few Toyotas over the years, and still LOVE em. In addition to my RA29 I have a 2012 Tundra which I plan to keep a while. I have had my RA29 since 1981 and it still makes me :D . It has sport suspension, an 18RG engine swap (done in 1987), and Imron paint. Next upgrade will be chrome Smileys if I can find some for less than I originally paid for the car LOL....Seriously any ideas, someone otta remake these in metal for what they cost... :banghead: I am also wanting to upgrade to a more modern engine, what is the best one now for these first gens??? THANKS and Glad to be here, Cheers ImageImage
Kylehugo

Re: New Member, LONG time owner!!

Post by Kylehugo »

Nice car!! 18RG isn't good enough for you though eh? In that case you could look into a beams 3sge, not really a bolt in swap, but there is no fire wall cutting involved so its better than most!
IG @deathofkyle
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

RA29Man wrote:Hey whats up first gen lovers. I have been into Toyotas for a long time and have had quite a few Toyotas over the years, and still LOVE em. In addition to my RA29 I have a 2012 Tundra which I plan to keep a while. I have had my RA29 since 1981 and it still makes me :D . It has sport suspension, an 18RG engine swap (done in 1987), and Imron paint. Next upgrade will be chrome Smileys if I can find some for less than I originally paid for the car LOL....Seriously any ideas, someone otta remake these in metal for what they cost... :banghead: I am also wanting to upgrade to a more modern engine, what is the best one now for these first gens??? THANKS and Glad to be here, Cheers ImageImage
So I guess my question is did you rebuild this engine and if so, what size pistons were installed. Were did you get the shims for the valves and what is you current compression? Were did you get that valve for your brake booster, nice!
I'm an Opinionated Old fart: I insist that you read the Troubleshooting charts first: I'm Just saying...
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
1974 RN22 Hilux (LHD)(Pickup)
RA29Man

Post by RA29Man »

Thanks for your replys on the engine. I am looking into the Beams. To answer some of the questions the present motor was bought in 1987 and was imported as a low mileage take out. It all looked good (even compression between cylinders) so I installed it, had the carbs rebulit and ran it. It is the 18R GEU so is lower compression at (if I remember correctly) 8.7:1. Does it run better than the 20R I had in it with headers and weber downdraft, Yes. Is it enough for me, NO. So I was considering building the 18R with higher compression and cams. But with the parts becoming harder to find and expensive I am toying with puting in a newer turbo engine. So this engine has never been rebuilt, and sorry I don't remember where the brake booster valve came from, and thanks for the compliments.
76 Celica GT liftback, 2012 Tundra 4x4
Reno, NV