Hello everyone! Pleased to meet you

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
mfred3

Hello everyone! Pleased to meet you

Post by mfred3 »

Hi folks! Excited to join the community. I picked up my first Celica recently, after falling in love with the car some years back. I found mine - a 1977 GT Liftback, 5 speed manual with a swapped-in 20R - for sale in Georgia, basically on the other end of the Eastern seaboard, bought it for ~$2k, and had it trucked up.

To describe the condition as "rough" completely undersells it... It did not start when I got it, the interior is a total write-off, and it needs a decent amount of body work. To top it off, someone repainted it with what seems to be house paint :roll: The condition is somewhat explained by the sheer mileage of the car - it's a member of the To the Moon Club, and almost part of the To the Moon and Back. ~450k on the body, and 150k on the motor. However, I'm not letting that deter me! I've gotten it start (replaced the ignition module and coil), removed the carpet (which I'm pretty sure was going to give me black lung), and am now working on getting it to run (there seems to be a problem between the fuel pump and the relay). I apologize in advance for the stupid questions I'm bound to ask, as my mechanical experience is pretty limited - though I promise to use the search bar!

Now the part y'all are actually here for - pictures!

(Pay no attention to the white powder, I trusted an idiot with a fire extinguisher)

Castillo77

Re: Hello everyone! Pleased to meet you

Post by Castillo77 »

Welcome to the club. I actually like that color green.
mfred3

Post by mfred3 »

Yeah, I kinda do too. I'll definitely keep that shade in mind when I repaint it
jaeseng

Post by jaeseng »

Good luck with the restoration! As far as getting it to run - make sure you either have this resistor or have shorted the connection or else the fuel pump won't stay running. Took me longer to figure out than I'd care to admit - although in your case it could be something completely different haha
1977 RA29
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

http://members.iinet.com.au/~stepho/manuals/Toyota/
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10435
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5484

Welcome Down state New Yorker from the college party town of Southern New York. (As featured on "The Pizza Show" on Vice TV, drunken Pizza crawls a must)

Here are a few links that will help you repair this lift-back. Along with that greeting comes a guy that I know within your area who is a good (Hobby mechanic) friend that I talk to almost daily who live outside of your town.

He is married with kids so you know how limited peoples time is, but he may make an excuse to go get milk from the store to possibly stop by and give you a hand with any questions you might need some answers.

I'll speak with him this weekend and see what he can do or if he has some free time in the coming weeks. Again welcome to the forum.
I'm an Opinionated Old fart: I insist that you read the Troubleshooting charts first: I'm Just saying...
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
1974 RN22 Hilux (LHD)(Pickup)
housedoctor

Post by housedoctor »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a 77 Liftback as well. I'm down on Long island, probably 4-5 hours away from you. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as you work through the car. Looks like a lot of work to be done but little by little it will come together.

Chuck
mfred3

Post by mfred3 »

@73GTV That'd be fantastic, having someone who really knows what they're doing take a look at it would be tremendously helpful. If he's interested, there's some craft Belgian beer in it for him, I work at a local brewery
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

mfred3 wrote:@73GTV That'd be fantastic, having someone who really knows what they're doing take a look at it would be tremendously helpful. If he's interested, there's some craft Belgian beer in it for him, I work at a local brewery
Please read your PM and contact Scott about your Car.
I'm an Opinionated Old fart: I insist that you read the Troubleshooting charts first: I'm Just saying...
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

73GTV wrote:
mfred3 wrote:@73GTV That'd be fantastic, having someone who really knows what they're doing take a look at it would be tremendously helpful. If he's interested, there's some craft Belgian beer in it for him, I work at a local brewery
Please read your PM and contact Scott about your Car.
Scott is still awaiting your call so that he can assist you with your repairs. You now have his number, call him. I just got off the phone with him. Leave a voice mail if you can't get him on the phone. Wheat Ale from Ommegang verses Cooperstown English ale both local brews. opinions after your car is fixed.
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)