New to the forum and new to the RA25

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
careddenRA25

New to the forum and new to the RA25

Post by careddenRA25 »

Hello 1stgen Celica forum, :wave:

Name is Charlie and I'm the proud new owner of a 1975 Celica 2000GT LB. Currently residing in Okinawa and was fortunate enough to pick this car up locally. Previous owner did majority of the hard work in rust repair. Car is pretty solid.

Not new to wrenching (very familiar with working on / modifying Mazda RX-7s); however old school is whole new world to me. With me having to learn so much about this particular car, I've been spending as much time as possible reading and learning the nuances of these beautiful rides.

No major immediate plans at the moment. I would like to freshen up the suspension / bushings and am learning what is LHD/RHD compatible. I also intend to freshen up the rubber on the car. Being in Japan, I do have access to a few things, but I have seen that some parts prices are much cheaper in the U.S. and I just have to ship them to me via USPS.

I will be doing lots of reading and trying to soak up as much as possible. Looking forward to being a part of this forum. :2thumbs:

Charlie
Charlie

1975 2000GT LB
jaeseng

Re: New to the forum and new to the RA25

Post by jaeseng »

Welcome to the forum, that's a beautiful car! Looks like how most people wish theirs looked. Is that an 18R or 18R-G under the hood?
1977 RA29
careddenRA25

Post by careddenRA25 »

^^^
Thanks. Interior is pretty complete too. Missing a few items, but not bare by any means.

As for the engine, it is an 18R.

Charlie
Charlie

1975 2000GT LB
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

careddenRA25 wrote:^^^
Thanks. Interior is pretty complete too. Missing a few items, but not bare by any means.

As for the engine, it is an 18R.

Charlie
Welcome! Can you show us a pic of the engine bay please?? Curious.

Cheers
Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
careddenRA25

Post by careddenRA25 »

Neil,

Been traveling with work the last two weeks. Just got back to enjoy the car...beautiful day in the mid 60s and not a cloud in sight!

Charlie

1975 2000GT LB
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

Outstanding, Welcome to the Rock. Spent ten years searching for Celica parts in the 1970's - 1980's and the parts were rare then,. Welcome to the forum and keep us posted. I had a friend of mine who just left mainland to head back to the P.I. Prior to him departing he was to fly thru Okinawa, but the funds he spent in the mainland, changed his plans.

Beautiful 18RG and still 40 or 44mm Solex?
Ultra Clean liftback

And where or what part of the Island are you living that you scored a garage?
Super rare off base except off base.
Did they (Base Housing) build housing on base with garages?
Maybe officers quarters.
Nice garage. Nice car, Ultimate life style.

Find or construct a heat shield for your washer bottle or it can melt. Later.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Last edited by 73GTV on December 16th, 2018, 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm an Opinionated Old fart: I insist that you read the Troubleshooting charts first: I'm Just saying...
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
1974 RN22 Hilux (LHD)(Pickup)
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

careddenRA25 wrote:Neil,

Been traveling with work the last two weeks. Just got back to enjoy the car...beautiful day in the mid 60s and not a cloud in sight!

Ok so the reason I asked to see under the hood was to see the engine.

You said it was an 18R when in fact it's an 18R G big difference. That's what should be in an RA25

Nice ride!

Cheers
Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
careddenRA25

Post by careddenRA25 »

73GTV wrote: December 15th, 2018, 5:56 pm
And where or what part of the Island are you living that you scored a garage?
Super rare off base except off base.
Did they (Base Housing) build housing on base with garages?
Maybe officers quarters.
Nice garage. Nice car, Ultimate life style.

Find or construct a heat shield for your washer bottle or it can melt. Later.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Currently living in the Okinawa City area. About ten minutes from Kadena Gate 2. A lot has changed in terms of property/housing, as some companies are building homes for foreigners. Current home is about 2,000 square feet with a two car garage. If it was mine, I would have the ceiling storage maxed out in the garage.

I know some base housing has garages and are for senior level officers. I'm not interested in living on base, as my kids attend Japanese school vice DOD schools.

Car is a work in progress, but I am enjoying it.
Charlie

1975 2000GT LB
73GTV

Post by 73GTV »

Thank you for your reply. I promised myself another trip back to visit that beautiful Island of my youthful memories. Just want to drive around the island one more time to see for myself what has changed since I departed there in 1989..

Take your time and keep the old girls running. At least if there was a hint of parts being available for her, you are in to proper place to find them. Good Luck and keep posting those great photos. Come to think of it, You also are currently at that rare location that "Wasabicars" has not had a chance to visit as of yet.

Those few rare cars in Okinawa and the chance to interview some of those owners presents your chance to be that guy who shows the Old cars of Okinawa.

It just hit me after watching a few videos that he had done on the main land...

http://wasabicars.com
I'm an Opinionated Old fart: I insist that you read the Troubleshooting charts first: I'm Just saying...
1973 TA22 GTV (RHD)
1973 RA21 ST (LHD)
1977 TE56 GLS (RHD)
1974 RN22 Hilux (LHD)(Pickup)