77 GT Rustback...I mean liftback.

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
azrael

77 GT Rustback...I mean liftback.

Post by azrael »

Hello everyone.

Allow me to begin with a brief explanation of who I am. I am 21 - young enough that most people expect me to be interested in bitchin' underglow and airbag suspension and wicked subzzzzz and enormous exhaust tips and 'high performance' cold air intakes. However, I am not. I bought my first car at 18, a 1985 Toyota Supra. I knew very little about it except that it was a lot of fun. I had it for two months before it was rear-ended by an old lady in a Protege who wasn't paying attention. The alternator had died at a traffic light while it was red - it turned green and she plowed into the back of the car, while my friend was helping me push it out of the way. (It broke both her legs, but she's all right now.)

The car was a hopeless writeoff - you should have seen the buckle in the rear quarters. You all know what I'm talking about. Anyways, after that, it was a downhill battle. At the time, I didn't know what was even wrong with me car causing it to die like that. Yes, I often wonder if it could be considered my fault that my friend got hurt, I don't really need a lesson on ethics or responsibility. I've had that battle with myself. What it DID give me, though, was an intense desire to learn more. I always want to know everything, and this was no exception. A month later, give or take, I bought my second car, a 1983 Celica GT Coupe. My first 22R, no less. The same day, I had the back window smashed out. The day after, I found one miraculously in the local Pick 'n' Pull, and taught myself a very unpleasant crash course in repairing auto glass. This broke the ice.

The car had some issues, not least of which was a REALLY leaky master brake cylinder and a shot front main. Again, at the time I didn't really know that. While I owned the Celica, I bought myself a 1987 Supra (NA, Auto, Targa) from the wrecker's as they were dragging it off to be crushed. I figured I'd fix it and drive it. Neither of these cars really came to be 'fixed'. There was a long, unpleasant fight with the storage yard I was keeping the '87 at, and it eventually got sold to my roommate at the time, which is also an unpleasant story where I got screwed a lot. Lessons learned.

In April of 2007, I bought a relatively solid 1982 Supra - this was going to be my replacement for my first car, which I desperately missed. To this day, I still have it. Her name is Violet. In May, I bought a 1981 Supra (MA47) with a period-correct 'BAE' (Bob's Automotive Engineering) turbo kit on it, installed probably around 1983. It was a thing of beauty, despite some body damage. While driving the MA47 home from a dyno day in Edmonton (153hp and 165ft-lbs of torque out of a 5M-E) I was brutally sideswiped by a middle-aged woman in a Sunfire without a driver's side mirror (she wasn't looking where she was going) on the highway. The car survived, but something somewhere hiccuped and the engine melted a few pistons. It was rough.

This necessitated the revival of my 82 Supra - I bought it fairly well stripped, so I had to put most of an interior back in it and fix a lot of silly things like the blower motor. This is the car that taught me about cars, really. Incidentally, the 82 started making an awful squealing noise that reminded me of what my first car was doing before the battery stopped charging. On the 82, I replaced the alternator belts, and the problem ceased. Lessons learned, right? Anyways, I took the car out to Suprafest in Kamloops that year (Pete might remember this, if he's around) where someone blew up their 1JZ. While drunkenly joking around, I sold them my 83 Celica, ending that era, and leaving me with just the 82 I'd brought back to life and normalcy (though it weighs only 2700 pounds soaking wet as a result of all the stuff removed).

That summer, we decided to 7M-GE swap it. It never got finished, and to this day the car sits in a driveway with no motor in it in a state of disassembly waiting for me to get moving on it. I have amassed a large number of suspension parts (I'm one gland nut from being able to put the entire suspension together) and brakes and things for it, so when I do get a motor into it, it will drive very well. I also have a 7M-GTE and R154 that will find their way in there, running on a MegaSquirt (2.0 on a v3 motherboard). Needless to say, I've learned lots since then.

I've been through the following cars since then:
- 1987 Camry (3S-FE, bad water pump, harder to replace than the car was worth)
- 1984 Celica GT-S hatchback (cammed early 22R, best car I've owned)
- 1983 Supra (7M-GTE, ~425rwhp, total POS)
- 1983 Supra (one owner, original car. Took it to the states, it was a blast. Sold it for what I paid, bought the motor back for $200)
- 1984 Supra (7M-GE swap, parted out)
- 1984 Supra (original, got my 7M-GTE and R154 with this car, sold the car, kept the stuff)
- 1985 Supra (girlfriend's car, still have this one, swapped the 5M-GE from the 83 into it)
- 1979 Celica GT Coupe (girlfriend's car as well, getting a 22R-E swap and IRS from a 3rd-gen)
- 1983 Celica GT-S parts car

So, over the course of this obsession, I delved deeper and deeper into Celica lore. I have the dragon tattooed on my shoulder, if that's any indication. And so, at the back of my mind started to develop this plan. All along, I knew exactly what car I wanted. The Supra is classic, and will always have a place in my heart, but the holy grail of Celicas is the RA29. Specifically, I needed to have a '77 GT Liftback. I've been searching for years, looking for one. I've had people looking for me in the Pacific Northwest, and I've said repeatedly that for a good clean car, I will fly down and pick it up. As long as the chassis is good, I would have had no issue flying down, trailering a car back to someone's place, and fixing it up into running shape before driving it home. It really was nothing short of an obsession. Just recently, though, I'd sort of lost hope, watching them rust away into disrepair, more and more of them getting to be so far gone even in places where cars don't rust terribly, to the point where I'd convinced myself that I'd settle for a 72 or 73 coupe. It wasn't ideal, but it was truly classic, and at least one of the iconic Celicas.

Two days ago, somebody dropped a pretty hefty bomb on that plan. On the local club forum, someone posted a link to a Kijiji ad for not one but TWO RA29s, both 77s, one of which had undergone a lot of bodywork, and the other a parts car, being sold as a package for $1500. Now, it was about $500 more than I wanted to spend, and about $1000 more than I had, but I sent the guy an e-mail anyways, asking if he'd split them up. Simultaneously, I was looking for someone to go halfsies with me on the deal, price adjusted depending on who got which car. The owner got back to me saying he wanted $1300 for the good car, which had lots of aftermarket goodies (carb, swaybars, Kamei front airdam, louvres, etc) - too rich for my blood. However, he admitted to paying $200 for the parts car, so suddenly my eyes were set on that. It was rusty, yes, but not unrepairable. The frame and floor are still good, it just needs some fenders and some work on the rear arches and rockers under the door.

A drive out of town, some fiddling, some humming and hawwing, and $200 later, I own a 1977 Celica GT Liftback, with all the parts needed to put it together except for a driver's side front fender. I'm still pissed about that - the local Pick 'n' Pull JUST had one, but they crushed it this morning before I could get to it. Incidentally, if anyone has a front fender for a 77...

Anyways, it's not much to look at right now. Lots of rust, mismatched body panels, currently without a front bumper, and missing the louvres. The interior's a little bit thrashed, but the car comes with lots of spares, including an entire roof section. (The one original to the car has a sunroof, the spare does not.) The interior smells like mice, because mice have been living in it. I'm sure the wiring will be a lot of fun. I know a guy, though, who's pretty damn good at body work, so my goal right now is to get it running and driving so that I can get it over to his shop - if we can move it, we can work on it, and then the real fun begins.

I'm a Supra guy, through and through, so as much as a period correct 20R build, or even an 18R-G would be cool, that's just not why I want this car. I want to make power - real power, accompanied by all the torque in the world. To this end, the motor will be one of the following, depending on pricing and availability:

- 7M-GTE
- 1JZ-GTE
- 2JZ-GTE
- 1UZ-FE

I'm aware of the difficulties firstly of shoehorning a six-cylinder motor into an RA2x, and secondly the difficulty of getting a 5-speed transmission on a 1UZ, as these are all swaps I've considered for other cars. A turbocharged 2RZ-FE has been suggested as well, and is not out of the question, though I'd prefer one of the aforementioned motors.

To put all of this power to the ground, I'm looking at a MkI Supra rear axle (disc brakes FTW anyways) with the 3.73 LSD gears from a MkII. Can you True-Trac a MkI differential? I'll burn that bridge when I come to it, anyways. Probably a custom four-link setup on the rear - again, the guy who I'm looking at to do the fabrication for this stuff is pretty good, it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm also interested in doing some interesting stuff like modernizing the interior and option loadout - I'm going to look into power locks and windows using the existing regulators and modifying some junk from the third-gen Celica (or MkII Supra) to operate it. Again, I'm just talking out my @$$ here for the moment as I haven't had a chance to familiarize myself with the chassis mechanical on the RA29.

As of right now, I don't have any photos of it. I need to go back this week and pick the car up, so until then, all I have is this one:

Mine is the one in the back, with the green fender - most of the car is hidden, but that's okay 'cause most of it's really rusty, too! The one in the foreground is its sister, which is still for sale.

I'm sorry for being really long-winded, but now you know who I am and where I'm coming from.
1977 Celica GT Liftback
1979 Celica GT Coupe
1982 Celica Supra
speedfreak426

Re: 77 GT Rustback...I mean liftback.

Post by speedfreak426 »

Nice story there!

If you decide to go 7M just let me know, more than willing to help!
1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
-8 3/4" Dodge Dart axle-3.55
11.20 @ 122mph
YellowHawtness

Post by YellowHawtness »

Welcome aboard! I like those wheels.
azrael

Post by azrael »

How fortunate that you like those wheels.

I went to pick up the car yesterday, and as we're getting ready to load it onto the trailer, the owner looks at me, and then looks at the black one in the photo, and then looks back at me, and asks "...do you want that one?" Answering honestly, I shrug and tell him yes. He then proceeds to offer it to me for $1000, payable in $200 increments as I have the money. At this point, I realize I'm screwed, because the car I bought for $200 is -rough-. I've got some photos of it here, let me upload them.

Here's the good side of the car. The door and front fender have been replaced with less terrible ones:

Okay. From here it doesn't look too bad, right? Some rust in the wheel arch and the rocker panels, but nothing we can't fix.

Here's the shitty side of the car. You can actually see where it's been hit underneath best in this photo - see where the rocker is shoved in?

Now, the door still closes straight (which is amazing seeing as it's so smashed up) and the frame underneath is fine, so if we repair that rocker anyways, it shouldn't make a difference. It appears to be mostly cosmetic damage.

And from the front, you can see clearly that I'm missing a fender, it's kind of rusty underneath, the hood doesn't line up enough to close, and there's no bumper or grill installed.

Fortunately, I have about three front bumpers (not smileys) and a grill just sitting in the car. Also, there's a green door just like the one on the other side with no damage and no real rust in the back, so I'll have to slap those on. Incidentally, the car has a sunroof. Also incidentally, I got with it a spare roof. I know, I know - a roof? Really? Yeah, really. It's a hardtop roof. This sunroof doesn't look factory, really, so I'm not surprised. That said, if anyone needs a good roof...

I also have a spare hood (better than the one that's on there), a bunch of interior panels, interior trim, and a spare W50. (If anyone in Alberta needs a good W50, let me know.)

So, what did I do? I bought the good car, too. I need to cobble together some money, but there's no reason I can't have it paid for sooner than that. Now, I've SEEN the good car run, and it has lots more extra goodies like a strut tower bar kit, aftermarket swaybars, the original rear louvres, a spare diff, much more interior stuff, a pile of extra tail lights and junk...there's a lot of parts for that car. Best of all, though? It runs! I've heard it, I've seen it, and it runs well.

On the not so good car, originally, was a Weber carb. I have no idea the jets, but it appears to be a downdraft (I'm assuming - I know so little about carburetors it's comical). Bolts up to the stock manifold - downdraft, yes? Anyways, the point is, I'm not keeping a carbureted 20R in the good car, so I have either a spare carb if anyone's interested, or a good carb for the not so good car when it runs. Ideally, I'd like to at least get the new fender (when I find one) and door and all the exterior stuff back onto the 'parts' car and get it running. Honestly? I'll probably sell it. I don't need two, and I have a better one. So, if you know anyone who wants a cheap project that needs some serious body work...

That's all for now.
1977 Celica GT Liftback
1979 Celica GT Coupe
1982 Celica Supra
slowmo

Post by slowmo »

Welcome. Good luck. If you have any questions, the guys are very knowledgeable and willing to help.
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.
paul

Post by paul »

Someone from Alberta!!!! :bawling: It's so beautiful.... Anyways the 7MGTE fits into the RA29 almost like it's made to be there. Check out speedfreak426celica's project thread, he did the swap, and is like Yoda of the 7M. I am like halfway through the swap myself, and it's looking good so far. Your Celica really doesn't look to bad! That rust should not be horrible to fix. Just think of how sexy it's going to look when it's done! I'm going to ask the registries if they can tell me how many 77 Celica's there are in Alberta, I have honestly NEVER seen one on the road.
azrael

Post by azrael »

You've now seen Rob's intro thread for the Celica I posted pictures of - he was nice enough to take the spare one off my hands. The one I've got left really doesn't have much rust to speak of; so much the better for me, I can get started on making it neat right away.

I just don't think there's a 7M in this car's future. If I change my mind, I DO have one sitting around, but it's currently destined for my 82 Supra. Honestly, I think this car needs something more ridiculous.
1977 Celica GT Liftback
1979 Celica GT Coupe
1982 Celica Supra
speedfreak426

Post by speedfreak426 »

azrael wrote: Honestly, I think this car needs something more ridiculous.
Blown 528" Alcohol injected HEMI?
:eek2:
1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
11.20 @ 122mph
azrael

Post by azrael »

speedfreak426celica wrote:
azrael wrote: Honestly, I think this car needs something more ridiculous.
Blown 528" Alcohol injected HEMI?
:eek2:
You might be able to fit one into a Celica if you cut it in half and spread it out over two of them.
1977 Celica GT Liftback
1979 Celica GT Coupe
1982 Celica Supra
speedfreak426

Post by speedfreak426 »

Actually, I measured a 426 hemi......
It will physically fit into the engine bay, but I an not sure if you would be able to get the exhaust past the steering box.... or find a place to fit a big enough radiator!
1977 Celica GT LB
-7M-GTE from 1992 Supra
-R154 5 speed
-235-60-15 DR's
11.20 @ 122mph
azrael

Post by azrael »

Radiator bolts to the roof with E-fans, and the exhaust can just go straight out the front fenders.
azrael

Post by azrael »

Now that I'm back from BC, I've had a chance to snap some photos of the new car.

I present my 1977 RA29 Liftback, 'Serafina':

The bitchin' front airdam on the car.

Kamei!

Another angle.

Those wheels

It looks like a mustang from this angle.

The interior - most of it is filled with spare parts, so this is the only shot worth...shooting.

The dirty-@$$ 20R. Think it leaks?

And if you were wondering about those other Celicas...

Not included in these pictures are the BOXES UPON BOXES of spare parts I inherited with the car. Seriously, I have like, two complete, spare dash assemblies (clusters, gauges, the 'wood grain' cover, etc), a nearly mint original dash pad (not a cap!) to replace that abortion in the interior photo, some original louvers, and...damn, you name it, I probably have a spare. Steering column, steering box, steering arms, ball joints, strut casings (with struts, springs, hubs, and brakes)...

I need to figure out a way to secure the bottom of the louvers to the hatch glass - the mounting tabs on the hatch on the car right now aren't the original ones for the louvers I have, then I'll mount them on the car.

The line I had on a 1JZ fell through, so it looks like I'm keeping the 20R for a while. Sigh. At the very least, I have a Weber 32/36 and some period correct header. I'm not really concerned about the 20R, so I could probably be convinced to let go of both.

I'll probably sand the car down, convert any of the rust that's started, and hit it with some filler and primer before the winter, if not paint.
azrael

Post by azrael »

Spent a bit of today cleaning the car out - unloading parts, throwing out stuff that really was junk, but honestly, there wasn't much that isn't worth keeping. At the very least, SOMEONE has to take it. I've got a LOT of stuff here. Here's a list of the stuff of interest (for someone else. I don't need another garage full of a spare car.)

- Good window glass, both sides
- Steering column with ignition cylinder
- That piece that goes under the instrument cluster with the vents and the buttons and stuff
- The cluster cover (wood grain, you know the one) with all gauges except speedometer and tach
- Speedometer and tach (surprise - I think I have two of these)
- Stock front RA29 swaybar
- Engine mounts
- Engine crossmember
- Steering box
- Front steering arms
- Front hub and brake assembly, both sides
- Stock air cleaner, complete
- Blower motor and cage
- Pretty much every vent from behind the dash

And that's just off the top of my head.

I noticed that the Weber 32/36 is pretty much complete, though that doesn't help me in the slightest to figure out how to put it in. I've honestly never worked on a carburetor in my life, and I didn't really plan on starting. I'm not convinced that this 20R is worth it based on the amount of oil sludge that's accumulated on it.

Also, the rust isn't as good as I thought it was - it still needs some repair. Fortunately, this isn't an issue.

Does anyone have a passenger side liftback tail light? Mine was destroyed by hail.

Overall, I'm not terribly impressed with how well the car has been taken care of. I think it was hyped a little more than it should have been, but I'm not really upset about this since it's all going to end up coming apart anyways.

There's no hope in the world of finding an electrical wiring diagram for a 77 LB, is there?
Last edited by azrael on August 25th, 2009, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Celica GT Liftback
1979 Celica GT Coupe
1982 Celica Supra
TA28Dutch

Post by TA28Dutch »

Lately my mind is bit like my internet browser; too many open tabs, some are frozen,
and I have no idea where the music is coming from..... :roll:
1977 CelicaTA28,
1974 VW Type 2, (T1)
1976 Honda CB750
1992 Honda ST1100 Pan European