Noobslice here looking for a decent 71-74

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
mojocoggo

Noobslice here looking for a decent 71-74

Post by mojocoggo »

Hello, I'm Dylan and I currently live in Temecula, CA. I've always admired the 1st gen bodystyle but only recently saw one in person for the first time. Pretty sure he is a member here, named Pertano, this was the car: Image

And it was pretty much love at first sight after that. I'm looking to build a nice daily driver making around 130-150hp. I've been doing my homework, and it looks like the 22R is a popular, reliable setup. I come from 80s BMWs so I am in junkyards all the time pulling random engines and parts, and I doubt it'll be much trouble finding a 22R. Also considering the 4A-GE, but I'm guessing those are a lot harder to find. I'm not too familiar with carburators, so I'd like to go FI, but I could live with either. I don't plan on going forced induction anytime soon either.

Now for the n00b questions, sorry if they have already been asked 500 times already!

When swapping a newer engine in do you generally swap the newer transmission as well, or can the stock 5-speed hold up to the slightly increased power? Also, which engines will bolt up to the stock transmission?

What is the rear suspension like on these? I think I read that it was not independent. Does it use leafs or coils?

I've been just browsing these forums for a while and it is such a nice change from most of the BMW boards I am on (as you can imagine). From what I see everyone here appreciates each other for their enthusiasm and love of the cars, rather than dissing them all the time if the mods don't conform to their own tastes. Anyays, really looking forward to meeting some of you guys and seeing more of these lovely cars in person.

I do a lot of automotive photography, and I haven't seen too many quality, high-resolution pics of Celicas around, so if anyone wants to get a group together for a photoshoot in SoCal, that would be awesome!
I currently daily drive a 1995 740iL on coilovers. (fun!)
Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com
vdo_game_junkie

Re: Noobslice here looking for a decent 71-74

Post by vdo_game_junkie »

Welcome! I'd be up for a photo shoot. If it's not on your list of things to do, make a point to come out to JCCS in Irvine in October. You can meet a number of the peeps on here. Beside a lot of eye candy for sure!
PERTANO

Post by PERTANO »

Dylan,
Welcome to the sight man. Just to make your search a little easier. Buy my car. It's already at the HP level that you like and I daily drive the car already so it's proven reliable. :D :D

Good luck with your search and if you need any help feel free to hit me up. I know of a few First Gen celicas here in the I.E. that are pretty neglected. I've never inquired about them because they are 73-74 model years. I've already had a few of those and wanted a 71-72 when I got my latest car.

Like Irwin said make plans to hit up the JCCS Car Show too. Lots of cars will be at that show. Some you probably didn't even know existed. That's how I found out about the Toyota Crown and now I own one of those too. Like you said. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!! See you around the scene bro. I'll probably be taking my Celica to Adams this week to race it too. So if you want to see me make a fool of myself come check it out. I'm told the car shoot fire so I'd love to get a picture of it if possible.
mojocoggo

Post by mojocoggo »

PERTANO wrote:Dylan,
Welcome to the sight man. Just to make your search a little easier. Buy my car. It's already at the HP level that you like and I daily drive the car already so it's proven reliable. :D :D
Gaaaaaaah I knowww! It really is exactly what I'm looking for. Just... hold on to it... for like... until I can afford it. :drool:

I'll definitely make it out to JCCS, I've seen lots of pictures from past events and I can only identify about 20% of the cars there heh.
Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com