Looking for my 1st gen

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
metal112524

Looking for my 1st gen

Post by metal112524 »

Hello everyone, I just wanted to put up a post here to see if anyone in Texas knows of or has a 1st gen celica for sale. I am desperately looking for one online but can't seem to find any in Texas. I am 240+ miles south of every major city in Texas so if anyone in DFW, Austin, Houston, San Antonio or anyone else sees anything for sale in your area. Please let me know, it would be most appreciated. My needs for the car are as a daily driver/fixer upper. Something that will get me down and back 5 miles to school. But at this point I'm not that picky, just not like a all original 15k classic show car please. Thanks, alex.

P.S.- I have found two cars that are willing to ship only problem is it would be sight unseen kinda as ive just seen the pictures. I really don't have the time or money to make a flight or even a bus ride out and check it out. What do you think? Also, one is a 73 and ones a 77. Which should I fall in love with and why?
metal112524

Re: Looking for my 1st gen

Post by metal112524 »

No love for my thread? :(

Along with my other questions, do the rear windows roll down on all coupes? The two Im interested are a 73 st and a 77 gt.
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

The rear windows rolled down in my '75 coupe. I'd imagine they didn't change this for any of the coupe models.

There is a significant difference in the length of the snout after 1975. This can be good if you want to put in a bigger engine. For my money, I like the look of the shorter snout better, but personal taste is subjective. You might try looking at a bunch of pictures of '73s and '77s to get a feel for what you think you might like. There are plenty of pictures here and on the web.

The '73 Celica had an 18R engine and the '77 had a 20R. You can read about the differences on Wikipedia. But who knows what you'll find in those two cars. Lots of people swap engines and parts on 30+ year old cars. :)

Here are some buyers notes I saved that might help you. (apologies to the original author - I neglected to jot down where I found this information)

When buying a car from the Internet, get the seller to send you lots of pictures.

For rust, you're primarily interested in these areas:

Lower corners of front and rear screens
Upper gutter rails
Lower sills/rocker panels
Lower rear guard 1/4's
Front guard bottom 1/4's
Tops of doors, bottom corners of doors
Open the doors and above the light switch button near the front cowl
Lower radiator support

Also, you'll want to verify that the dash is not cracked. It can be tough finding a replacement dash, though you can find dash covers on eBay. All other interior stuff can pretty much be found here or there.

Here's a rundown of some of the differences between the various 1st gen models (apologies again to the original author)

71/72
- long hood vents (flutes)
- rear tail lights were flat
- gas cap was behind a flip down door between the tail lights
- smiley bumpers
- front signal lights were mounted on the core support
- slant nose front
- one piece center console
- base plastic behind the wood grain on the dash was silver/gray

73/74
- short hood vents
- rear tail light were "bubbled"
- gas cap moved to the C pillar on the driver's side
- smiley bumpers were re-enforced and added addition support (weight) underneath also "bumperettes" added
- front signal lights were moved to the front valance (stone deflector)
- slant nose front
- two piece center console
- base plastic behind the wood grain on the dash was black and they added a light over the temperature controls

75 - most of the characteristics of the 73-74 with
- truck bumpers
- power bulge hood

76-77
- flat nose front
- longer front end
metal112524

Post by metal112524 »

Thanks for the post christobal, I am completely torn between the two. I do like the long nose but it goes against the "compact" look i was going for. I am looking to do a 3S swap in the future and I guess that means more room. You know looking at pictures from a low angle it looks REALLY long but its not bad from the side. I fell in love with this car in the process.

ChristobalRocks

That's a nice looking car! Buy it! :D
metal112524

Post by metal112524 »

LOL i wish it was for sale! That was just the one that made me like the 77 body
zipppo

Post by zipppo »

Being a student on a limited budget. I would go with the more sound car. Meaning the one in better overall condition.

As far as 73 vs. 77 it simply boils down to one word

TASTE!

I like the slant nose of the 71-74 myself. Other like the 76 and 77 long nose or flat nose.

Again TASTE!

Either way choose wisely and do your homework. These are great cars but be prepared for a lot of work and lots of ingenuity because parts are scarce and becoming more so every day.

If you stick with it, you can over time build a timeless sweet ride. You know something that will still look cool 20 years from now!
metal112524

Post by metal112524 »

Well, now I'm looking at a 76 gt lb, but its 2k miles away. Says its running but he wouldn't drive it too far and the carb needs tunning, but seeing as I have no tow vehicle, I don't know what to do. Oh and the best quote for shipping I've got is $600 which is twice the price of the car! Maybe it would be worth it.
ChristobalRocks

metal112524 wrote:Well, now I'm looking at a 76 gt lb, but its 2k miles away. Says its running but he wouldn't drive it too far and the carb needs tunning, but seeing as I have no tow vehicle, I don't know what to do. Oh and the best quote for shipping I've got is $600 which is twice the price of the car! Maybe it would be worth it.
If you can get a complete, running car without too much rust for only $900 ($300 + transport), that sounds like a bargain and a half! I've been watching the market for 1st gens almost daily for the past 3 months and there just aren't very many of them out there. Or maybe there are, but not many are for sale!

One option that might be cheaper, I suppose, would be to buy the car and work with the guy to get it tuned before you fly down and pick it up. But realistically, the plane fare, plus hotels, plus food, plus the potential hassle of having a breakdown 1000 miles from home just isn't worth it. If it were me, I'd pay the $600 transport charges and gladly.
metal112524

Post by metal112524 »

Ya i think thats the smartest choice. I could make a drive down there with a buddy but like I said I don't own a vehicle capable of towing. And I would feel bad asking my dad or anyone else to let me borrow their car for 3 or 4 days and put 4000 miles on it as well as who knows what other problems could occur along the way. Plus expenses and time, even if my buddy split the costs it would be almost the same. It would make for a badass road trip, :cheers: but all things considered it isn't the best time. Ill text him tomorrow and let him know that ill decide off the pictures and info and take the risk.