hello, prospective 1st gen owner

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
somwone

hello, prospective 1st gen owner

Post by somwone »

hi, i've been thinkin about gettin a 1st gen, and have an opportunity to get one now, but would like more info on it, such as specs and problem areas, its not 100% sure that i'm going to get one, but i'm just signing up now to get some more info, so if anyone could help me find the specs and info on a 72 celica st, that'd be great, and hopefully i'll be able to decide if i really want it or not, thanks

my current ride is a motorcycle, thinkin about sellin that to get the money for the celica
Miles.BIDD

Re: hello, prospective 1st gen owner

Post by Miles.BIDD »

welcome. its great to know that your thinking about buying a 1st gen, but kinda hard to answer your question about specs....

its more along the lines of... what do you want to know????
problem areas, thats one thing, i'd say biggest problem would be rust. u can find it EVERYWHERE (depending on where the car is located) sometimes the whole car is rusted, other times (very rare) no rust at all!!

its the other common sense things your going to have to worry about... nothing specific and technical....
basically, the condition of the motor... the car is 30+ years of age, im pretty sure u should check the motor.
brakes, suspension,interior??? :idea:
weatherstripping might be bad...

:roll:
add us on myspace... myspace.com/backindadayz408
Blogspot: Ithinkitsmiles.Blogspot.com
75CelicaGT

Post by 75CelicaGT »

Welcome,

It looks like Miles covered the worst spots.

Rust, worst spots are the floorboards, rockerpanels, wheel/fender arches, can be bad but not the end of the world. Front Strut towers are another problem spot and can be much more serious.

Interior can be real hit and miss. Sunny areas like California, Arizona & Texas usually are very low rust or rust free, but interiors can be very sun baked & cracked.

As Miles said the weatherstripping can be a real problem. Then the obvious issues for any 30+ year old car, engine, brakes, suspension and don't forget another real problem area Wiring!

GL on your search,
:cheers:
Pete
somwone

Post by somwone »

thanks for the replys

yea, i'm planning on just checking for the usual problems of an old car, like rust and all that good stuff, from the pics, it seems the owner has replaces the seats, so i dont think the interior's going to be in that bad of a shape, and the owner says that the car is about 98% complete

but more specifically, i'm asking is like if there's any 1st gen specific problem areas such as faulty wiring in a certain area, and like the recent news about the toyo cars having their pedal stuck, you know, stuff to look out/fix if i decide to get the car
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Any car that old is bound to have problems, so don't get too caught up in the latest news. All you can do is give the car a once over and cross your fingers on the hidden parts.

Of course, there are certainly people on this board who can advise you on any particular problem you find, once you buy the car.
Miles.BIDD

Post by Miles.BIDD »

somwone wrote:thanks for the replys

yea, i'm planning on just checking for the usual problems of an old car, like rust and all that good stuff, from the pics, it seems the owner has replaces the seats, so i dont think the interior's going to be in that bad of a shape, and the owner says that the car is about 98% complete

but more specifically, i'm asking is like if there's any 1st gen specific problem areas such as faulty wiring in a certain area, and like the recent news about the toyo cars having their pedal stuck, you know, stuff to look out/fix if i decide to get the car
nothing like faulty wiring or pedals stuck.... honestly i really cant think of any actual problems besides aging.
add us on myspace... myspace.com/backindadayz408
Blogspot: Ithinkitsmiles.Blogspot.com
somwone

Post by somwone »

alright, thanks everyone

i'll go check it out, see how it goes, if it's in decent condition, i just might be joinin the board for good :)