Just bought my first Celica '77 - Denver

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
Scientifik

Just bought my first Celica '77 - Denver

Post by Scientifik »

Hi Guys, I just bought a 77 GT, its in somewhat rough shape, interior is banged up, not running a little rust here and there.

I'm new to Celica's, and looking to rebuild this engine, can anyone recommend a specific rebuild kit? I've seen a few 20R kits around but not sure if I should go with the high-end LCE kit or try and find something a bit more basic.

Previous owned bondo'd over the B-pillar vents :arg:
StingrayGT

Re: Just bought my first Celica '77 - Denver

Post by StingrayGT »

welcome

good luck on restoring the car, not too sure about the 20R kit, other member should know better
mrm76gt

Post by mrm76gt »

I've been tossing the idea of overhauling my 20R as well.
I'd go with a high end kit for sure. After all you're gonna be spending alot of time on it, might as well go with the better quality. You really do get what ya pay for.

Nice ride by the way :2thumbs:
'76 Celica GT
'86 K5 Blazer
'03 Harley FXDL
'00 Celica GTS
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Welcome! :)
75CelicaGT

Post by 75CelicaGT »

Welcome :wave:

Great project car :2thumbs:

I've also been tempted by those cheapy 20R rebuild kits on eBay for my tired old engine. I haven't asked a mechanic buddy what he thinks as I'm trying to pickup a rebuilt 20/22R hybrid. If I can't then I'll be in the same boat as you. I pretty cautious in regards to those cheap kits as you usually "Get what you pay for!" but depending on what my buddy says or other members for that matter I may go that route.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for your project and what others have to say about a cheap rebuild kit.

:cheers:
Pete
spacecowboyian

Post by spacecowboyian »

HOW DID I LET THIS SLIP BY! In my backyard no less. Welcome man. Great lookin car and I look forward to your build. There's a few CO folks on the board so we may have to start ourselves a little club at some point.
Scientifik

Post by Scientifik »

haha, you gotta keep your eye on Craigstlist my man! Definitely want to do a CO meet up, just gotta get this thing running first, unless you all want to come to Denver and hang out in my garage.