My 1974 GT

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
Quicky

My 1974 GT

Post by Quicky »

I purchased the 1974 Celica GT in 1977. It came of course with a 5 speed standard 18RC engine and nothing has changed since then.

This is it in 1977 untouched from the factory with 22,000 miles on it:

Of course living in Vancouver I had to ad fog lamps:

Got tired of the door nicks and scratches that a vandal did at University so I got the whole car painted in 1978:

Finally in 1987 I got sick and tired of the door dings down the side and decided to have a paint job. I removed all of the exterior moldings and bumpers and etc... The interior stayed but I supplied new:
  • two new quarters
    two new radiator support and fender supports
    new trunk lid
    new rocker panels
    new fenders
little did I know how bad the rockers and quarters were attached. Started to rust as soon as it left the shop. It looked damn good though:

And some shots of the interior with the tape deck mounted in glove box. You can also see some woodwork on the consol. This was due to the previous owner melting the consol with cigarette burns. So I redid the consol in teak. It will be matching burled walnut to the dash and back consol when I am done:

Believe it or not, this is how it looked when the sway bar bracket let go in 2003 and caused me to put the car on blocks in the garage. The sway bar precipitated this restoration, because, as you know, once you open up a panel there is another repair!!!!

Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane.

Quicky

p.s I have been posting the entire restoration at another site before I was pointed to this one. Is it kosher to post that link here as it is up to 8 pages with responses so far? I can always start a new thread here :D
faffi

Re: My 1974 GT

Post by faffi »

I see that you have a long history with your car :2thumbs:
welcome
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Welcome to the board Quicky! :)
WIQDTOY

Post by WIQDTOY »

welcome and thanks for sharing!

just post a link to your build on this site.

BTW, did you happen to keep any of the GT emblems off your Celica?
Ray
"who wants to own a car you can't drive 12 feet away from a trailer! those cars belong in a museum!" -anonymous
Quicky

Post by Quicky »

Kept all the badges,

They will be used at shows as a soft adhesive stick on. I don't like boring holes into the paint and metal to snap in the badges.

Glueing or sticking them on with permanent tape also just attracts dirt, so a compromise will be the clean look for use and badges for the shows.

Thanks for letting me in, I recognize a few names here, like Christobal ( :wave: ) and others.

I will post the build link at the other forum topic.

Cheers, Geoff