Greetings from NZ

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
Markm3

Re: Greetings from NZ

Post by Markm3 »

Cheers Hamza. I'm guessing we're in closer time zones than most of the others on here.... they don't seem to be around much during the day.

It's definitely an ST, has the 2T-B engine and the oil/amps gauges. Found out that it was a Kiwi soldier who brought it back from Singapore in '73/'74. The more I find out about it, seems its rarer than most being both an early model and in primo original condition. Haven't been able to find another one like this in NZ.

I'm keen to buy it but the wife is being difficult about it, she needs a bit more convincing. Perhaps I should offer to but her some new appliances for the kitchen or a new iron or something..... :doh:
Don't knock it til you've tried it.
71ta22

Post by 71ta22 »

Markm3,

I would suggest that the car is over priced, It's been on the market for at least 12 months which is a sign.

Its got some rust, its been re-sprayed, it's not low mileage. True value probably half asking price but if you want it enough its your money.
Hamza

Post by Hamza »

Yea, closer timezones... :wave:

To be honest, great car, good condition but i dose seem over priced. I surely would not think of spending that amount of money on something that still requires work. Personally i would be offering abt 6-10 MAX for it. Also check any previous body repairs with a magnet make sure it ids not biggedup.

hamza
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

The pictures look really nice, though. Very nice car. Hopefully you'll discover it's not a bondo-mobile (try the magnet trick - excellent advice Hamza). Make sure everything works on the car prior to purchase. You might be able to use anything that's broken or not 100% to get a lower price. The rust is a starting point in the negotiation.
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

Thanks everyone - I probably haven't said it but I agree its overpriced, the $13K is just what they're asking for it and I'm certainly not going to part with that sort of money for one.

Magnet idea is a good one.

71ta22: Seems you're also from NZ
Have you seen this one?? You're more likely to know about this and any others around the country than I do so any help appreicated.
71ta22

Post by 71ta22 »

Markm3,

Yes I'm in Carterton. I have 3 TA22's. Most I have paid for one is $5,000.

The car you are looking at has been for sale through several dealers in Chch over the last 2 years. One had a large photo file of the car. It is a good car but not 100%. I was interested but not at more than $6,000. There will be rust!!!!!!!
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

Cheers 71ta22.

Did you make an offer on it at all? Also, can you give me an idea what you think yours is worth? Would be helpful so I have a bit of bargaining power behind me (and make it seem like I know what I'm talking about) :) . I'm picking they won't accept $6000 but may be worth a shot.

Are there many 1st gen celicas around NZ? Or more importantly, any others for sale or possibly for sale that you know of?

I also did a check on CarJam and see its done 170,000 miles
71ta22

Post by 71ta22 »

Markm3,

$5,000 4 years ago:

$5,000 1 year ago:

$3,500 16 years ago. Full bare metal restoration 8 year ago (spent $3,500 on the paint job):

Had a brief phone conversation with the car yard that was selling the one you are interested in (for $15k at the time). There opinion was nothing less than $10k. I was not interested in going more than half that.
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

71ta22: Thanks for that - I'm obviously a bit of a novice with the Celicas. You don't want to sell one of yours do you??

Haven't had a chance to speak to the dealer but will do on Monday. Will let you know how it turns out.
mrm76gt

Post by mrm76gt »

71ta22 wrote:Markm3,

$5,000 4 years ago:

$5,000 1 year ago:

$3,500 16 years ago. Full bare metal restoration 8 year ago (spent $3,500 on the paint job):

Had a brief phone conversation with the car yard that was selling the one you are interested in (for $15k at the time). There opinion was nothing less than $10k. I was not interested in going more than half that.

That purple one is absolutely beautiful! I love it!!! :2thumbs:

Hell, they're all beautiful. And, 5,000.00 for a GTV? What a deal!
'76 Celica GT
'86 K5 Blazer
'03 Harley FXDL
'00 Celica GTS
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Gorgeous cars! I hope mine ends up looking that nice! :cheers:
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

Had a chat to the dealer today and had a more thorough look at the car. I still can't find anything other than typical surface rust. I didn't have a magnet on me to test for repairs but I'm pretty confident it's solid all round.

The dealer said the guy selling it has a lot of cars and doesn't need the money which is a bonus. Thanks to 71ta22 I mentioned that I'd done a bit of poking around and that those in the know had asked about it at the previous dealer and wouldn't touch it for $10K.

Will go home tonight and beg the wife to let me into the bank account. Based on everyone's advise here I think I'd be willing to pay $6-7K. Any thoughts??

ps. Its odd walking into a bookshop and seeing a couple of guys underneath a Triumph TR5 up on stands fixing something.
71ta22

Post by 71ta22 »

Markm3 wrote: Will go home tonight and beg the wife to let me into the bank account. Based on everyone's advise here I think I'd be willing to pay $6-7K. Any thoughts??
Markm3,

$6,000 sounds about right. Best of luck.
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

Don't expect them to accept it but thems the breaks. :|
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

Update:
Had a chat to the car dealer earlier today. Told him that my research tells me his Celica is worth about half what he's asking ($13,500).

Dealer told me that because its completely original (re-paint aside) they and the owner thinks its worth more. The other problem is, apparently, the owner has loads of cash and doesn't need the money so isn't in a hurry to sell. From the sounds of things it would just be sitting in a garage/storage somewhere anyway so having it sit at the dealer's doing nothing doesn't matter to anyone.

So looks like I won't be buying this one :cry:

Disappointing to say the least. :nonono: Its even more disappointing that the dealer and owner have it so over-priced and think its that valuable. Dealer also said they're justing waiting for someone with a "burning desire" to own one to come along and snap it up. Can't see it happening at that price.

Feeling a bit :arg: about it to be fair.