Greetings from NZ

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
will

Re: Greetings from NZ

Post by will »

better luck next time mate.
not worth it IMHO either..
72-RA21, 77-RA29, 83-RA65C, 88-AllTrac, 80-RN60-4x4, RA42-race car, 04 F150 STX tow rig.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"..
"Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing it's Idiot"
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

Just a pity that cars like this get shut up and only few people get to admire them :screwy:
Don't knock it til you've tried it.
71ta22

Post by 71ta22 »

Markm3,

Better luck next time. If its any consolation, the owner will be waiting a long time to sell (2 years so far).

It took me over 10 years to find a second one at the right price. I saw several over the years but they were in need of a lot of work, despite looking good at first sight.
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

71ta22:
There will be others I'm sure. I'll keep in touch with this one but can't see anyone buying it for at least 10 years :)

I'm in a predicament though, which I'll outline briefly and will result in an embarassing confession.

We only have one car, a small people mover.
I also have a Chinese moped :shock: to get me to and from work. Very, very sad but true and incredibly embarrasing :oops: .
However, it's starting to get too cold and wet to be riding so my wife and I agreed to get a "new" car sooner rather than later. I suggested something "classic" which she agreed to in principle as long as it's drivable (i.e. doesn't need any money spent or work done on it in the near future). She enjoyed driving my old '77 Lancer a few years back so I was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Now my better half is suggesting we just go and buy something new and get it over and done with. If I do that it will be a long time, possibly decades, before I can afford to buy a Celica. My biggest problem now is that I'd really like a 1stgen Celica (as I'm sure you can understand).
ROCK - ME - HARD PLACE

So, its looking like I'll be driving a Japanese import for a while longer. :nonono:

Unless you want to sell one of yours........
71ta22

Post by 71ta22 »

Markm3 wrote:
So, its looking like I'll be driving a Japanese import for a while longer. :nonono:

Unless you want to sell one of yours........
Markm3,

I have 2 kids who are already fighting over who gets which one. Would be good to have one myself.
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

Final update on my disappointment:

The dealer decided to contact the owner with my offer and was told that he bought it off Trademe (NZ's equivalent of EBay) for $12,500 a few years back. Apparently there was some vigorous and competitive bidding so the owner believes there is someone out there who will want to pay that much. Two years on the market since suggests otherwise....

So there you go. I wished him luck.

That's the end, for now anyway, of my serious attempt to buy a Celica. Will keep my eyes open and happy to entertain offers from anyone selling in this part of the world :)

Thanks to everyone who has provided info and opinions. I'll keep lurking around the 1stgencelica community.
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

You should give some consideration to this AUS car: forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6807
Markm3

Post by Markm3 »

Cheers. I've had a look and someone has already pm'd me to say its in mint condition and worth a look.

Perhaps I can convince my wife to take a holiday to Melbourne - she's always wanted to go there!!