Canadian dreaming about a 1st gen

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
one10drift

Canadian dreaming about a 1st gen

Post by one10drift »

Hi guys, I saw a red 1st gen in my neighborhood and feel head over heels in love.

Just looking to get some more info on these cars at the moment.

majors questions are;

1) possible engine swaps and how difficult are they. what "modern" engines work best in terms of reliability and power. or is it even worth it.

2) if i was to get it i would want it as a DD, these are old cars for sure but how easy are they to live with daily?

I really want own a classic JDM i was looking at datsun 240z for the longest time, but that red one turned my head, damn sexy!!!!

any comments welcome
modernrockbro

Re: Canadian dreaming about a 1st gen

Post by modernrockbro »

I would recommend you taking a look at the FAQ section. They are Toyotas so they are reliable, but at 35 years old, you have to realize any rubber on these cars is probably going to need replacing if it hasn't been done already (steering, suspension, hook, trunk, door, windshield, rear window rubber seals, etc). Also wiring can get goofy with wires not making contact or shorting out to the chassis. Mine is my DD. Only thing that stands out to me is, the wipers suck, and the steering takes a bit of effort in a parking lot. I was surprised when I got my car I thought it was going to be like driving a dinosaur, but it's not. The car handles the road and bumps pretty well for a stock suspension with old parts on it. And of course a carbed car will need some warming up when cold vs. FI car.
Not everyone believes in "community". Some consistently hate & are negative. Some are self-preserving egomaniacs. The elitist clique ignores anyone outside their bubble. Lastly, innocent spectators, & then those who believe in community.
Raffaelli

Post by Raffaelli »

Welcome! And I hope you get one...

My two cents...The car is small. Smaller feeling than say a new corolla or camry. But its really light to make up for it.

And replacement parts; such as brake, suspension, and engine parts are dirt cheap!

I still havnt driven one yet under its own power. So I couldnt tell you much more. :2thumbs:
I sent my Celica to hell,

It will be waiting for me...
one10drift

Post by one10drift »

Thanks for the quick replies guys, i'll check the FAQ section.

Always wanted a nice classic, american muscle cars are so expensive these days these seems to be the next best thing. and the more i look at even better lookin.

looking at the classified 2 or 3k will get me into a car with minimal work needed?

also i saw one with an engine from an s2000!!!??? is this a common swap?

what is the most common and "easiest"
modernrockbro

Post by modernrockbro »

I thought that info was a little easier to find in FAQ, guess not. Easiest and cheapest is the 20R/22R hybrid. I believe it's the 22R, running the 20R head. Those are the easy performance parts to find as the 20R/22R were in trucks as well, and have a good following still. 18RC nearly nobody mods bc the head design does not flow well. 18RG, you will left click until your fingers bleed looking for parts. The F20C well you need to follow the site owner's post, Andy Vang, for that information. I think it has been done 5 times on here I believe. There is also the 2TG, 3TG, 5MG, etc, but I know very little about these motors.
Not everyone believes in "community". Some consistently hate & are negative. Some are self-preserving egomaniacs. The elitist clique ignores anyone outside their bubble. Lastly, innocent spectators, & then those who believe in community.
Raffaelli

Post by Raffaelli »

I have a 22R hybrid.

Its been fairly cheap to build. Until I did alot of headwork. I probably have $1200 bucks in the whole engine. Its a good amount of power and pushed my truck faster than it should have gone. It should be nasty in the celica. Its a bolt in deal. :twisted:

They are great looking cars with styling traits from old mustangs, torinos, and camaros.
I sent my Celica to hell,

It will be waiting for me...
one10drift

Post by one10drift »

There a 1975 Celica GT for sale the guy is asking $4k for it. It looks in pretty good condition he says it has around 65k original miles.

Question: is the 75 a good year to buy. I know they did the facelift that year and i've seen some comments on the forum stating that the 75 is a "odd" year.

if i can get it looking like the car in the link below I'll be a happy man.

I thought in 75 they made the indicators sqaure? has this one been modded?

The only pics i have of the car are from the ad at the moment, the seller is sending me more.

http://img255.imageshack.us/i/3k33m13le ... a9522.jpg/

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/3kf3pd3l9 ... a8646.jpg/

thanks
Blaze86Vic

Post by Blaze86Vic »

It was 76 they went flat nose. The 75 is still a slant nose, but has a different front valance, in the US it has the full idiot proof bumpers, and it has an awesome one year hood.
rachuck21

Post by rachuck21 »

4 grand is pretty high unless the car has a rock solid body, mechanics, and interior. That's my 2 cents worth, also the earlier bumpers can be pretty spendy. Chuck
"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
https://imgur.com/m2giFIx
one10drift

Post by one10drift »

How difficult is it to add the smilies On the 75 are they the same length?

I was thinking 4k was high but the interior is complete and in great condition.
75CelicaGT

Post by 75CelicaGT »

one10drift wrote:How difficult is it to add the smilies On the 75 are they the same length?

I was thinking 4k was high but the interior is complete and in great condition.
It is much harder finding the Smiley's than adding them I can attest to that.

From the looks of the pics is it Primer Black??? If it is primer and not a good paint job then I would say that $4K is too high, but it depends more on what you are willing to pay, and what is available in your area. If you are back east in Ontario or further than it might be harder to find them, BC and Alberta to a lesser extent seem to be easier places to find them.

GL
Pete
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

there's a 76 liftback on kijiji toronto now 2 cars for 6k

Neil (orillia ont)
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT