New Guy Here

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).

Should I keep the new project pure and just restore, or should I fit the Lexus V8 1UZFE into it?

Poll ended at October 26th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Yes - Keep it pure and restore it to standard
No votes
No - Make it exciting and throw in the Lexus V8
100%

Total votes: 5

macegrove

New Guy Here

Post by macegrove »

Hi all, I'm new here as of Sep 2010, my name is Jamal Al-Khalifa currently living in Manchester, UK. I have owned 3 TA22's so far with 2 of them still here (I scrapped the 2nd one not realizing i'd regret it one day). Anyway i've just had delivered a new project 1976 TA22 to join my baby 1974 ST as of Sep 2010. My first Celica is a standard 1974 car with 19" alloys. The next car is a shell really with an excellent engine & box which I will put into my first Celica as its a slightly better unit. I plan to put a V8 into the new Celica but still in 2 minds on if I should modify such a classic. Plus I would never cut my first car or swap in a different type of engine so i'm in a bit of a dilema here.
Anyway, thats my introduction over with.
Jay DP
TA28Dutch

Re: New Guy Here

Post by TA28Dutch »

Welcome, Jamal.
No opinion from me, you decide. 1stgens are not that rare that it is a real shame to convert.
A guy called Sheepers in Ozzie did it and I must say it is amazing to hear a V8 rumble from a Celica. :drool: :eek2:
Not sure it's road legal in the UK, though. It will probably fail your MOT.
Lately my mind is bit like my internet browser; too many open tabs, some are frozen,
and I have no idea where the music is coming from..... :roll:
1977 CelicaTA28,
1974 VW Type 2, (T1)
1976 Honda CB750
1992 Honda ST1100 Pan European
Im jhun_hapi

Post by Im jhun_hapi »

Welcome :wave: what we always says here, Its ur money and ur car and u can do what ever float ur boat.. all i can say good luck :2thumbs:
macegrove

Post by macegrove »

Thanks for the replies guys, need to make up my mind. Anyone know of a detailed how-to thread for the 1uzfe (lexus V8) conversion? Did a search and could not find anything.
Jay DP
StingrayGT

Post by StingrayGT »

welcome :wave:

it's true its your car and your money, so i have no problem regarding the idea of doing engine conversion
macegrove

Post by macegrove »

True, was just worried about the purists and don't want someone saying 'ooohh thats sacriledge that!', plus I don't know if it will seriously de-value the car? I am going to stick to the same manufacturer in all the bits i'm going to use i.e Toyota (Lexus) engine, Toyota Hilux rear diff etc. Are modified from standard but using the same family of parts significantly worth less than a standard car?
TA28Dutch

Post by TA28Dutch »

Lately my mind is bit like my internet browser; too many open tabs, some are frozen,
and I have no idea where the music is coming from..... :roll:
1977 CelicaTA28,
1974 VW Type 2, (T1)
1976 Honda CB750
1992 Honda ST1100 Pan European
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

Sounds like your'e trying to talk yourself out of it?

Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
dymihail

Post by dymihail »

With respect, if you're worried about the resale value for the future then you might wish to reconsider why you're interested in this particular hobby. You're talking about a 30+ year old car that's not really recognized by the collector's market at large. The odds of you recouping your invest, whether from taking it back to factory showroom or upping the ante with a 1UZ, are not good. Maybe just get the car to have some fun, do what you want with it, and not worry about the future?
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

dymihail wrote:With respect, if you're worried about the resale value for the future then you might wish to reconsider why you're interested in this particular hobby. You're talking about a 30+ year old car that's not really recognized by the collector's market at large. The odds of you recouping your invest, whether from taking it back to factory showroom or upping the ante with a 1UZ, are not good. Maybe just get the car to have some fun, do what you want with it, and not worry about the future?
Agreed. I'm only half way (if that) through my restoration and I think I've probably already spent more on the car than I could get for it if I sold it completely restored.

Do it because you love it and want to drive it. :2thumbs:

Oh and welcome! :)
75CelicaGT

Post by 75CelicaGT »

As it sound your first one will stay pretty stock and this new one is more of a shell, I'd say go for the V8 and have some fun with it.

Pete
Eduardo

Post by Eduardo »

75CelicaGT wrote:As it sound your first one will stay pretty stock and this new one is more of a shell, I'd say go for the V8 and have some fun with it.

Pete
Im completely agree, you should keep one stock, and the other with the nice lexus V8.
1977 RA28 ST2000 - 18R Image